1.25mag any drawbacks???

john_a.

Yes folks finally a real non MP question from me. Although I must

confess it is related. Since I can't purchase a black .85VF MP at the

moment, are there any drawbacks to using my 1.25mag. on it

permanently? Do you think it can detract optically from the VF?

Perhaps creating some artifacts or making it more flare prone? Any

thoughts as always appreciated.

I really don't care if it lowers the contrast or partially obscures a 28mm frameline. I'm suffering from macular degeration, and I have to use it to focus. Yes, it's a lousy way to have to shoot, but when you finally find yourself limited, any crutch is acceptable.

I love the 1.25x, it's one of the few goodies Leica's hit a homer with in a long time...and certainly a better value than $180 for a rewind crank ;>) I took the chain off my 1.225x and it sits permanently on one of my M7's. The odd thing is, it's either way to easy to remove, or way too hard. Something in the pitch and depth of the threads and/or the material's rxn to temperature, I'm not sure. It's easy to lose when you don't want to and hard to get off when you need to.

A 0.72 with a magnifier fitted doesn't become a 0.85. The viewfinder might be (near as makes no difference), but your eye is suddenly 20mm or so further away and that brings new restrictions on frame visibility.

I wear glasses and use two M7's, a 0.58 and a 0.72, and I play tunes with the x1.25 magnifier. I can just about use the 35mm frames with the 0.72, not corner to corner but okay. Yet if I use the magnifier on the 0.58 then the 35mm frame lines are more seriously obscured.

Where I find that it's useful is with the 90mm and 135mm lenses on the 0.72, useful but not a substitute for a higher magnification body.

I managed to remove the eyepiece from the camera once - the magnifier and the eyepiece stayed together, but without the camera body. Don't screw it too tight, don't wear a leica under your jacket, and don't treat your kit carelessly. I do, therefore I don't use the magnifier.

Drawbacks? Well, there's the fact that the eyeglass protector o-ring falls off shortly after you begin using it and the incremental paranoia associated with a tenuously attached $229 (bought locally) accessory.

In spite of this, I'm really happy with having chosen the 0.72x + 1.25x combination and feel that the flexibility far outweighs the dimmer viewfinder image (barely noticeable to me) and restricted field of view. In summary: value could be better, but no regrets.

Regards,