Travel options

tim_gee

Hi, Tim -<P>

Hope I'm not too late to chime in here. I've done a little bit of traveling and have some ideas that, believe it not, haven't yet been mentioned in the valuable contributions made so far.<P>

First, a kit of three lenses, a viewfinder, and two bodies doesn't sound necessarily like too much. But are you going to actually shoot with both bodies? Or is one of them only for backup? I ask because, if it's the latter case - that of backup - the T3 would certainly serve that purpose quite well without being much of a load (and with the added advantage of being even more of a grabshot camera than the M). Additionally, the liklihood that your M will fail during a relativly short (albeit exciting) trip, to civilized places, is not very high. So, if you're not planning on using both Ms simultaneously (e.g., each with a different focal length, or for color/b&w) I'd definitely consider leaving one of the boys at home (unless of course you consider them to be, as some do, women - in which case consider leaving back one of your mistresses). Where was I? Oh, yes - travel. Do take the T3.<P>

I'd advise a money belt (worn <I>under</I> your clothes, of course) in which is kept: travelers checks, cash, passport, birth certificate, and so on. In addition, one of those pouches that hangs from the neck (worn under your shirt), in which is found a credit card, more travelers checks, more cash, and copies of all vital documents. And since you certainly don't want to be seen fiddling with all that in public, put whatever cash and checks you need for the day in your wallet before leaving your hotel room. All this might seem silly to those who live in the places you'll be visiting - but it will give you, stranger in a strange land, a reassuring peace of mind.<P>

If the hotel or B&B you're staying in has a safe or lockbox, you can keep valuables there in reasonable safety (as long as you get an itemized receipt); but, otherwise, keep anything you can't afford to lose on your person. Also:<P>

Wear clothes with velcro pockets - these make noise when opened.<P>

Don't carry stuff in your back pockets. <P>

Don't wear jewelry or a watch.<P>

In many places with high tourist traffic, there is a sticker inside the trunk (boot) of rental cars that warns in bright bold letters against storing valuables there. Thieves are well aware that a car's trunk (boot) is the most likely place to search for real booty (why do you think they call it that?) - so proceed with caution.<P>

I'd advise a generic looking messenger type bag with padded ("bunion") inserts for your gear. You don't want anything here that looks too flash - quite the opposite, in fact.<P>

I've traveled in some really rough places - jungles, big cities, you name it - and all I ever found were really basicly honest people. Even the thieves. No one ever bothered me and the only thing that ever got stolen was a cheap plastic ballpoint pen - taken right out of my messenger bag by a begging woman holding an infant child, whom I'd just refused to give money to in the streets of Calcutta. (My fault for leaving it within reach.)<P>

I can't honestly say I always follow all of the above advice - I do sometimes leave stuff in my (locked) room; likewise in the trunk of my car - but at least I know what I probably should be doing. Also, most of my travel has been in third world countries - which, frankly, might be a bit safer than the more savvy, less considerate - even in some ways less civilized - cities of Europe (not to mention North America, though it doesn't sound like that's on the agenda); your experience might be different.<P>

My final advice: especially when in the countryside, be friendly and respectful. In the cities, too, be those things - but try not to like a yokel. Lastly, relax and enjoy the ride. As a good friend of mine from Japan is wont to say, "Life is only once. Smell roses."

Andrew,

Thanks for your concern and the info. sheet. The T3 Kristian mentions may be as old as the chart indicates but it is new from the dealer with full warrenty and believe me is the right price.

Doug. Never too late - I havn't left yet! Thanks for your added advice.

I had initially intended to use both M bodies with 21 fairly much fixed on one and 35 + occasional 90 on the other. Two bodies also would have the insurance of backup.

With the T3 however, I'll probably leave the second M body at home but still take 21, 35, and 90. The Leica will do the 'quality' work and the T3 the quick shots, record shots with flash and backup for my M and my wife's Mini-zoom. That's the theory so far.

I must say I'm still wondering if the 90 is worth taking as I mostly use it for portraiture and I imagine there won't be very much of that. But what do I know I haven't done a trip like this before!

Thanks again, Tim.

Tim--Take your two M Leicas and the 21, 35 & 90. It's perfect. Only reason for

the second M is for backup. Daily: one M with the three lenses is perfect. I

can't for the life of me understand why you'd leave an M at home and take that

other camera? You have Leicas. Take 'em with you. The business of traveling

on a pleasure trip with three different camera systems is nonsense (Leica

Mini, Contax, Leica M). What you want to do is keep it as simple as possible.

You with the M Leicas, your wife with the mini. The other camera just mucks

things up. The Leica is quick and will be just fine for quick snapshots, too.

BTW, that first week will be with your son. Believe-me, he's not going to let

anything happen to you. After a week with him you should have all your

security concerns answered and should be relaxed about the rest of your trip.

Your trip sounds wonderful. Have fun and take BOTH Leicas. You'll never

regret it. Remember no matter where you are most people have no idea what

a Leica M is. It just looks like some funny, old, eccentric camera. Everyone

knows that an F5 with an 80-200 is a big honking expensive camera. The

Leica? Obviously used by some poor guy in a time warp.

<i>[Y]oung Germans walk about almost naked even with a hint of sun.</i><br>Robin, Tim isn't that young if he already has children himself. Also, you wouldn't want to be mistaken for a <i>Kraut</i> in England, given the current political climate... Plus, you may not be admitted into some buildings unless you're dressed "decently". Especially churches come to mind.<p>Tim, carrying the 90 is definitely worth it, and you may find you use it quite frequently! Because quite often a single detail tells so much more than a wide view.<p>Also, sometimes you want to capture a view that apparently hasn't changed for decades or even centuries--if it weren't for that satellite dish. Or the guy with the mobile phone. Or the McDonald's sign. Often, photographing only part of the scene is the only solution. Or you want to picture the contrast of old and new, and all the old elements around are disturbing...<p>But I admit I'm a tele lens guy. Still, IMHO you'd certainly regret leaving your 90mm at home.<p>The attached picture was taken with a 50 'cron but required a little acrobatics on church steps. A 90mm would have made easier for me.<div>004mAG-11970584.jpg.ad896f4980bc251233964c25b9d0f266.jpg</div>

Btw there's a discussion on <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=004ijA">"French law and photography"</a> over in the archived forum.<p>And here's the bad news. It was in my mailbox this morning:<p><i>This Public Announcement is being updated to alert Americans to an increased potential for anti-American violence, including terrorist actions against U.S. citizens, as a result of the military action in Iraq. The U.S. Government remains deeply concerned about the security of Americans overseas. American citizens are reminded that it is more important than ever to maintain a high level of vigilance and to take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness [...]<br>As a result of military action in Iraq, there is a potential for retaliatory actions to be taken against U.S. citizens and interests throughout the world. [...] Terrorists do not distinguish between official and civilian targets. These may include facilities where Americans and other foreigners congregate or visit, such as residential areas, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools, hotels, outdoor recreation events or resorts and beaches. U.S. citizens should increase their security awareness at such locations, avoid them, or switch to other locations where Americans in large numbers generally do not congregate [...]<br>As the Department continues to develop information on any potential security threats to Americans overseas, it shares credible threat information through its Consular Information Program documents, available on the Internet at <a href="http://travel.state.gov">http://travel.state.gov</a>. In addition to information on the Internet, U.S. travelers can get up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 in the U.S. and outside the U.S. and Canada on a regular toll line at l 317-472-2328.</i><p>I'm afraid Australia's considered an American colony by Saddam Hussein's and UBL's adherents.

Tim,

If you can survive the US you can survive Europe. If anything, Europe is safer. But that depends (as in the US) where you are.

I survived Naples three times! That is a theives paradise. (I once chased a thief, screaming the filthiest Italian I knew, after he tried to pull a bag from the hands an old Israeli lady in our group.) The key to my survival is to wear my bag diagonally--in fact I got a cool Calvin Klein bag in Napoli that is designed to be worn that way and is my only camera bag now (I stuck a big fanny pack into it and it holds two cameras a a couple of lenses).

You can have one or two bodies out. Just wear them around your neck and not over your shoulder.

Weight is the biggest problem I face because I hate leaving stuff at home. And I tend to get my back out of whack too.

Last time I was in France (a poltical act in a way) I had my M6TTL 0.85 with Rapidwinder and Rapidgrip, Bessa T 101 with Triggerwinder, VC 21/4, 35/2 ASPH, 'cron 50/2, Rokkor 90/4 and a Canon 50/1.2 for night shooting. I usually left the 50/1.2 in a locked hard carry-on case. It was not bad--and we walked hours and hours in Nice, Monaco and Paris!

Here is a very, very, very, very important piece of advice. Bring small screwdrivers with you. If there is anything that can come loose on your equipment it will when you are travelling.

With me it was the VC 21mm viewfinder. The little rectangle inside tilted to one side. It stayed that way throughout my journey because I did not bring screwdrivers. Home, I took it apart, righted the round glass lens with the frames and it was okay until I was in Osaka the other day. Fortunately I was in OS Camera when I caught it, borrow a screwdriver and fixed it. That VC finder is a rather flimsy affair but easily fixed with a little patient.

Another topic. I've not seen Gypsies in Paris or anywhere else for quite a while. They used to be all over the place and sometimes quite forward. I did my share of screaming at them--in German. I don't know what happened to them. Crackdowns possibly. Maybe Roma organizations, which have been making themselves felt in European politics recently, have been discouraging illegal and unseemly behavior by their people.

The Paris Metro is a haven for theives--as is every subway in the world.

I've walked around Paris and other places with my Leicas in full view. You need to do that to take pictures.

Remember: If you don't use your camera for what you want to use it for you don't really own it.

Bon Voyage,

Alex

Alex- You bring up another point, no pun intended. While a

screwdriver is KEY, you must train yourself to pack the

screwdriver and any other potential "weapons" in your suitcase

and not in your camera bag. I learned the lesson several days

after 9/11 when a security guard confiscated a tiny jeweler's

screwdriver. It was a weapon!!!!!! To remind myself I keep a

ziplock bag in the camera bag with the check list of verbotten

equipment and fill it before each flight and return it to the camera

bag after arrival. Welcome to the 21st Century!