Battery Life for EOS 30

benjamin_ng

It's the first time I took my new EOS 30 out for photo taking

yesterday.

One bad thing happened, the batteries lasted for only one roll of 36-

ex. The batteries are supposed to be new that come with the camera.

I seldom use flash, but just a couple of times when it was too dark.

In such case, I also have difficulties in focusing, so I found lots

of focus-assist light emitted from the flash and the lens keep

moving. I know it was power consuming, but just 1 or 2 times.

Any reasons for this except camera problem! Could that be the

batteries sitting too long?

Who knows how long the battery has been around since it is the battery that came with it. Also if it was a demo model it could have been used a bit such as people focusing it to try out thecamera. So far I have yet to replace the batteries in my Elan7(EOS30) I use the BP300 though. If you use the onboard flash count on getting around 20 to 25 rolls if not you should get more. If you buy a new battery that is not dated it should last as long as the manual says it should. I would liek to recommend the BP300 though. First it really balances the camera nicely, and alows you to use the cheaper AA batteries. I have had my Elan7/BP300 since the middel of December and just replace my batteries this month. The batteries I took out still had enough charge to put them in my sons flash light for him to play with for a bit. I shoot pretty close to 20 rolls a week if not more, so you have to figure that by the time you shoot 150 rolls the BP300 will pay for itself just in the money you save not buying CR123es!

You expect the battery that comes with it to be new? Who knows what the store did. Who knows how long its been sitting there. Thats why every time I've bought a camera that uses those types of batteries i get an extra set or two. You never know if its new and you never know when you'll need another.

The battery should last for quite a while, however adding the grip and using AAs is even better. I've had the same better in my Elan 7e since last summer. It's not my main camera but it sees a lot of use and that's impressive.

Hi,

I have an Elan 7 (Not e, it is equivalent to EOS 33). In the beginning I used quite a lot the built-in flash (~ 50% of the time). Yet I found that the battery hold for some 30 rolls. I do not expect the eye control to consume a lot.

I would be surprised if your problem was due to the age of the batteries: this kind of batterie hold for years. The only explanation (outside of a problem in the camera) could be that the batteries have been used before you bought them.

Regards,

Olivier.

With occasional pop-up flash use, I get 50 or 60 36-exposure rolls through my Elan 7E on a set of CR123 (I mainly use the 420EX). With AA batteries in the BP-300, I get about half as many rolls.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Our Elan7E with a 28-135IS did last only a few rolls with the original set of CR123. This is one of the reasons why we now have the BP300 with two sets of good high power rechargeable batteries. But we always keep an extra set of CR123 in the camera bag, just for emergency. The 28-135IS is very battery hungry and may not be an accurate representation of what a fresh set of CR123 should last in a Elan 7E.

I suggest getting a fresh set of CR123 and trying again. If they do not perform any better, you may have a power related problem with your camera. It is not normal that lithium batteries run out of juice so fast� Unless it was very very cold, where I think lithium batteries do not perform well.

Good luck

I mainly use the EF 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 1.4 USM and EF 75-300 4.0-5.6 IS USM on my Elan 7E. The EF 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS USM stays on the camera 75% of the time with IS engaged. The 2 Duracell 123 I bought at a local drug store are good for 50-60 rolls of chromes. When shooting in low light, I use an ST-E2 for AF assist or a 420EX Speedlite. Although I have an BP-300, I use 123 as they last twice as long and are much lighter than AA batteries.

I haven't found my EF 28-135 3.5-5.6 IS USM to be particularly power hungry. My A2 I used get 30-40 rolls off a 2CR5 with the same lens. My Elan (EOS 100) only gets about 10-12 rolls through it before the 2CR5 dies. I recall my EOS 10S only got about 6 rolls! It seems the newer the camera, the more power efficient.

The big battery eaters on the Elan 7 are the pop-up flash and AF assist (via pop-up). I often forget to turn my cameras off while stored in a bag. This doesn't seem to impact battery life much just as long as buttons don't get pushed. Of course, if pressure on the vertical release causes it to AF all night, you may have a problem. I had a new bag that did this once.

You might want to ask the same question at the Elan 7 user group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/elan7e/

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Try it with a new battery first.

If it only lasts a roll or two, and the batt drains when the camera is off, it probably has a well known EOS problem. My Elan2e had the same problem, and I've read of EOS3s with this problem as well. I think it might be a short circuit somewhere. Mine had to have some electronics replaced when it was brand new. It's worked fine ever since. Tell us how it goes. ;)

I tested with a new battery set. I first the camera still show me an empty battery icon when power on. So, I believe it's the camera problem.

I keep power on and off again and again with the old set of batteries, it can start sometimes for a full battery icon.

I will return the camera, and take noted if the replaced one would have some other power related problem - like the batt drains when the camera is off.

Thanks all, and I will let you know how it goes!

Peter that is wild, My Elan7 does pretty good with the AA batteries. In fact they last me pretty good. I just got around to changing batteries at the beginning of the month after its intial set in December when I bought it. I must have shot 60 rolls ans just figured that auto focusing in the house at the dreary rain while I was bored drained them. One thing I have notice though is that my 1N even with 8 AA batteries seems to like to eat them. I have only put a few rolls though it (about ten) and already the battery level is reading two bars.