Help me pick what I bring with me abroad?

GivenZane

Hi everyone,

I'm not new to photography, but I need some help choosing what gear I bring with me on my first trip abroad. I'm a film shooter in the OM system, but like many of us, I buy more cameras then I need to.

I'm heading to Armenia for 1 month in early summer and I'm intending on bringing 2-3 film cameras and my digital kit.

I will be doing street photography, some portrait sessions, and some more general tourist type work.

Now I can go from way to much stuff to very minimalist. I have primes for my OM system from 18mm to 400mm then zooms that cover 35mm to 200mm. So I could bring all my primes, or just the zooms, or completely differently I could just bring my Kodak Retina kit with the 35mm, 50mm, and 80mm, or even more minimalist is just the rollie 35. No matter the film kit I choose I'm bringing my digital kit. I'll list it below.

Digital Kit: Olympus OMD EM1, 7Artisans 7.5mm, Olympus 17mm F1.8, Olympus 25mm F1.8, 7Artisans 35mm F1.2, and a Speed Booster(if I bring an OM kit). 

I've been thinking about what to bring for months now and can't make up my mind. I really appreciate any advice you'll can give me. I want to bring no more then two Domke f-2 bags of gear. But i'm getting bogged down with the details and need some advice from the veterans. 

Thank you for all of your advice!!!

--Given Zane

Too much gear means changing lenses when you can decide which lens to use, and by then the moment and opportunity has often passed. I'd suggest one body and no more than 3 lenses...the one you shoot most often and one wider and one longer. Extra batteries if taking digital, extra film if raking film.  Have a great trip and don't get overwhelmed with equipment or you'll miss the really important moments.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SCL said:

Too much gear means changing lenses when you can decide which lens to use, and by then the moment and opportunity has often passed. I'd suggest one body and no more than 3 lenses...the one you shoot most often and one wider and one longer. Extra batteries if taking digital, extra film if raking film.  Have a great trip and don't get overwhelmed with equipment or you'll miss the really important moments.

That's a really good point and I appreciate your response! This is the first trip I've had where I've flown. Normally I drive and i just fill the trunk with whatever I think I might need. I'll list what I'm thinking of bringing and see what you think if you don't mind.

Possible Kit:

2x OM-2n's

1x EM-1

Film Primes: Spiratone (sigma) 18mm F3.5, Olympus 24mm F2.8, Olympus 35mm F2.0(My most used lens), Olympus 55mm F1.2, Olympus 100mm F2.0, Olympus 180mm F2.8

Digital Lenses: Olympus 17mm F1.8, Olympus 25mm F1.8, 7Artisans 35mm F1.2 (Mini Sonnar with unique look to the Bokeh), Speed Booster, and standard OM to MFT adapter.

Between both film and digital, that's cover 18mm to 360mm with 9 lens.

Is this still to much?

My advice for what it is worth , (you did ask 😁).

Travel Light , take no more than 2 Camera bodies , one for Film , and one for Digital , spare batteries , cards and a charger.

Lenses , one Prime (your choice of focal length) , and one Zoom to cover what the Prime does not , for each Camera.

Most importantly enjoy your trip , take photo's with what you have and don't worry about "what might have been".

• Like 3

My guess is that if you are this confused about what to bring, you would be equally confused when trying to choose which camera/lens combination to use at the destination.
Bringing a lot of equipment without a specific purpose is counterproductive. 

I would suggest 1 film camera with one lens for street and one lens for portraits. Use your smartphone for the rest.

If the latter is unacceptable, just add the EM-1 with the 17mm and the OM-MTF adapter.

Edited by NHSN
  • Like 2
Niels

If you 'll fly, airline will limit your luggage. 

Toss your spare clothes and digital together, weigh that stuff and check out what else is possible. 

I'd stick away from the Retina. No coupled range meter for the long lens makes it an awkward portrait camera. 

Using two media means two independent narratives, which COULD lead to two incomplete stories. 

Weeding out OM lenses: 35 & 100mm = "core". With two bodies I might add 24 & 180, maybe the 35-** as a lazy tourist zoom, but(!) since few tourist shots turn out great, why not use digital for those?

Remember you can usually zoom with your feet!

Not really. First, one can often only walk so far. On my last few trips, I took only a Lumix LX-100, which has a lens that tops out at 70mm FF equivalent. It simply wasn't long enough for a lot of what I wanted to shoot. Also, walking forward with a short lens provides a different perspective than using a longer focal length.

It really all depends on what you shoot. For what I shoot, a longer lens is valuable, and this is my main dilemma in traveling: do I want something that I can stick in a fanny pack, or do I want to shlep a MILC with more than one lens? I usually opt for the former, but I've often regretted it. So I would start with which types of shooting you expect will be most important for you. for example, i don't do street photography, so my needs are very different from yours.

If you must take film take an OM2 + 35mm f2 and 100mm f2. Digital: Olympus 17mm F1.8, Olympus 25mm F1.8, 7Artisans 35mm F1.2

With the OM to m43 adapter, you could use the 100mm f2 on your Em1, which would be nice for a 200mm equiv view on digital. Good for mountains. You might want the Spiratone I suppose. I hate the thought of deciding what is worth taking with film and what is better digital or vice versa: you could avoid the brain ache and the extra clutter by leaving either film or digital behind altogether.

Robin Smith

19 hours ago, GivenZane said:

I'm not. My fiancee is from that country and she had to go there for about a year due to family issues. So my fiancee will be there, but I'm meeting her there.

Will focusing on too much photography ruin the get together with her?  Maybe one small digital camera set on P mode is the best approach.  If she's interested in photography, maybe she'd like her own camera so you can do it together?  Why not ask her beforehand?  

• Like 1

You have already decided to bring all the digital gear "No matter the film kit I choose I'm bringing my digital kit. I'll list it below."

Therefore it remains only to decide what Film gear you bring.

I suggest that you consider carefully exactly for what purposes you will use Film and consider exactly what final product you want from that medium.

Once those two questions are answered, you should see clearly what Film gear you need.

Also, you can't "zoom with your feet" - additional to the two reasons already outlined, there is third reason - walking backwards - for example inside a room with a Prime Lens, to get farther away from the subject(s) you might hit a wall, whereas with a wide enough Zoom Lens, you might make the shot.     

WW

It is always difficult to decide what camera gear to carry. Some take photos when traveling; I travel to take photos. I spend days or weeks deciding what equipment to carry, and hours what clothing to take. Rather than a flat recommendation, I can describe what I do, and more important, why.

If you carry a film camera, you must carry film too - a bulky nuisance and airport security PITA. Furthermore, the type of film in the camera is often the wrong type for the situation. I'm glad that's all over for me. Digital is the way! Cameras need lenses, and if you carry more than one body, they should take the same lenses, or you need double the equipment.

The place to start, is what would you use here for similar situations? In my case, I only use zoom lenses when I have a lot of shooting to do, and little time to change lenses, including events, concerts, and weddings. I prefer prime lenses for casual use, including nature walks, landscapes, and travel. They're smaller, lighter, faster, and often sharper. I can fit 3 or 4 lenses in a small fanny pack, if I need that flexibility. For urban photography, I often choose a medium wide angle lens, 35-40 mm. For interiors, a 24-25 mm "very" wide lens is useful. Landscapes often fall in the 50-90 mm range. I an enamored with 90 mm lenses, which gives me an excuse to carry a 90 mm macro lens for both closeups and hills. Wide angle lenses flatten hills and emphasize the foreground. That's not usually best for landscapes.

That said, I generally overpack, with a pair of bodies and range of zoom lenses, from 16mm to 400mm, in a large roller case (carry-on size). However, it stays in the hotel or car until I need something out of the ordinary for the shot. I used a 400 mm zoom for this shot in Ireland, on my first (and only) visit.

image.thumb.jpeg.66a693d12dfee5d639c94a516a277925.jpeg

• Like 1

OK I’ve traveled internationally a lot and always brought cameras -and a tripod! The tripod usually goes into my checked baggage but I carry a small “international carry on” suitcase with cameras, lenses, & film. 

there’s an old saying for world travel and I’m here to tell you it’s legit. It goes, 

“pack your suitcases, then throw half of what you’ve packed away and bring more money.” 

For real. I’ve actually mailed stuff home on one occasion, and I rarely use all of what I bring. 

The same logic can be applied to photo equipment. Figure out the few absolutely essential bits of clothing and leave the rest at home. Remember the KISS principle? Keep It Simple, Silly. Take a digital and a couple lenses. Take a film camera and a couple lenses. Take a lightweight tripod that’ll fold down small enough to pack into your checked bag.. Whatever you take along, you have to also carry around with you. Well maybe not everything all at once but toting stuff around can be a chore. Sounds like maybe you have a secure place to stay with her family but hotels aren’t necessarily gonna be 100% secure for day storage of your cameras and gear. Stuff gets taken from hotel rooms and I’ve had things stolen myself. 

Foreign cities all come with street crime. Bent over fussing with stuff in a backpack or any kind of bag leaves one vulnerable. Pay attention! Don’t walk around with your face in your phone or being unaware of what’s happening around you.

If your fiancé is with you, she can watch your back. If not please be well aware that the wolves are watching. Even my sister who is hyper aware and extra vigilant and has lived in Rome for 25 or so years still gets stung occasionally! People are needy, often desperate. They can be very inventive. Their willingness to take risks might outdo your ability to look out for yourself. Don’t be paranoid about it, just be aware. It helps also if you don’t come off looking like an easy mark or a victim. Instead look like you’re ready to fight in defense and like you’re paying close attention… and you’ll almost certainly be fine. 

ALWAYS ASK at security for a hand check of your cameras and film. Most airports will allow it, some won’t. (Rome, Amsterdam, Athens will Heathrow won’t, IME) My international carry on zips open easily, lays out flat so Security doesn’t have to muck about to see everything. Be considerate of them esp if lines are long.

Last year when I went to Greece I took my film in a lead film bag! Guaranteed to be opened and hand inspected! Every time without question. I never even asked for a hand inspection just fired the small suitcase thru the scanner with the lead bag inside. LOL. Got a lot of “looks” but also my film stayed protected and got hand inspected. Security in Athens did confiscate a pair of regular pliers I had in my bag for tightening my old tripod head! 

I love to take photos when I travel and will always bring at least two cameras along. Follow common sense guidelines and be organized on the street.
Pay attention, don’t look like an easy target, and have fun! 

Bon Voyage!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i know nothing (as the saying goes), but certainly I agree with "travel light".

I would not plan on being able to find film, particularly in the backwoods. This is a world-wide phenomenon.

Tell us your experiences after you get back.