Measures of improving and shortcomings solving

Pierre Dumas

On 1/31/2023 at 8:41 PM, LineMartel said:

I do understand that there is no going back. If I could delete my account and its content to start anew your suggestion would fit me, but right now I would have to spend weeks tweaking my existing account. There does not seem to be a way to cancel my account

Hi @LineMartel, I'm a big fan of your work.

IHMO, the 'old' PN website was 'broken' and no longer sustainable. The 'new' PN - based on the 'Invision Community'  platform - is designed as a 'community'. Primarily as a forum but with some additions for 'sharing' photos between community members. It's not designed to profile photo portfolios or sell photos as previous incarnations of PN might have been.

My (humble) suggestion is that you work out which communication channels work best for you. I've seen photographers' websites where they display a relatively small image of their photos and on which download (right-click) options are disabled. On the other hand social media channels (Facebook, Instagram, etc.)  can often display your photos but not with a high enough resolution to make it worthwhile downloading. In both cases, the message is 'pay x$ for a hi-res file that can be printed'

Mike

Edited by mikemorrellNL

When members of any group upload photos of any size they are automatically downsized to a maximum of 1800x1600px--depending on the canvas size of the original image.  Images that are smaller in dimension are not "upsized".  The process then stores that downscaled image (likely about 80% quality) and does not save the original upload as it was.

The upshot is that even if one uploads an image that is 3000px wide, it will be downsized and the original discarded.  As PhotoNet is not a photo bucket or repository such as Flickr but a site for sharing and discussion so this quality is just fine.  Larger files mean more storage and bandwidth which lead to more cost.

We had to stop things like uploading of 75mb image files.  Here is the largest one on the site at 72.5mb:

Do screenshots work?  Sure.  The banner image in the top header was taken as a screen shot from the 2016 version of PhotoNet.

Mike Morrrell is correct.  Invision is a community platform suite and media handling is slanted toward image uploads and downloads by members.  Not really what we are looking for but for now its what we have.

• 4 weeks later...
  • William Michael changed the title to Measures of improving and shortcomings solving