Jump to content

Nikon Wednesday 2023: #4


Matt Laur
 Share

Recommended Posts

Note: In the interests of balancing performance and quality, the topic of image file size and dimensions as normally posted to this recurring thread is under discussion elsewhere in the Nikon forum (the topic is obvious when you look) - please check in there and comment if you have thoughts to share! That's the best place to talk about that particular topic. For now, consider keeping uploads no larger than 1600 pixels on the long side when it matters, and sticking with 1000 pixels when the image feels no pain at that resolution. On data size/compression, try to keep things under 1mb, shooting for 600kb when you can stop there. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you new to this thread? The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are right here: https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/398109-guidelines-for-nikon-forum-wednesday-image-threadsFor now, we're sticking with 1, 2, or 3 images per week as you see fit.
 
Well I'd certainly have liked to have spent the last week out making some photos for my own enjoyment - or even for mercenarial fees! But instead I had my IT hat on, putting out virtual fires. And you know what that means: another Wayback Wednesday. Here's a more or less random shot from nearly two decades ago, using my venerable D200 back in the day, chasing bird dogs around and getting ticks. This German Shorthair was steadily pointing out the location of a partridge, and hoping that somebody would do something that would let him retrieve it. Way back or way this week, share some photos!
 
2023-01-25_shorthair_on_point.jpg.749dbbae30e83d8b470242f72dcc49b2.jpg
  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

American white pelican caught a fish. That entire process from catching to swallowing lasted about 2, 3 seconds. I rapidly fired off 50 frames or so and fortunately have plenty of images to choose from. Z9 + 800mm PF

PelicanCaughtFish_3427.jpg.95e73df9a7c440128b3648a319014cde.jpg

PelicanCaughtFish_3446.jpg.40e9a6e24bbbc1ba4a8fa2e5b9b96261.jpg

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, ShunCheung said:

fortunately have plenty of images to choose from

Some 26000 images from a week in San Diego and Santa Barbara (and I didn't use 20fps all that often) - culling will take some time. It'll take some time for me to get used to the Z9 EVF - I still prefer an optical viewfinder. Sometimes, it is really hard to see what's going on with the EVF. Did some shots with the D850 - can't believe how loud it sound compared to the Z9 (with artificial shutter sound on level 2 to get some audible feedback at all.

 

Z9, 500PF

Another blue eye

 

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 8
  • Excellent! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dieter Schaefer said:

Some 26000 images from a week in San Diego and Santa Barbara (and I didn't use 20fps all that often) - culling will take some time. It'll take some time for me to get used to the Z9 EVF - I still prefer an optical viewfinder. Sometimes, it is really hard to see what's going on with the EVF. Did some shots with the D850 - can't believe how loud it sound compared to the Z9 (with artificial shutter sound on level 2 to get some audible feedback at all.

Z9, 500PF

Nice image of a Brandt's Cormorant. I usually see a lot of those by La Jolla Cliffs, north of San Diego, as well as in the Monterey Bay.

I am so used to the EVF by now that I don't miss the OVF any more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, ShunCheung said:

Nice image of a Brandt's Cormorant. I usually see a lot of those by La Jolla Cliffs, north of San Diego

That's were the above image was created. I don't know why there are only Double-crested ones in Santa Barbara.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

how many cameras Mike has

The Z6ii showed me the benefits of mirrorless for my wildlife photography... and it's limitations.

So far, the Z9 has overcome those camera limitations, primarily with initial lock-on and subsequent tracking.

It's down to me now!

  • Like 1
  • Excellent! 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, mike_halliwell said:

So far, the Z9 has overcome those camera limitations, primarily with initial lock-on and subsequent tracking.

I am glad I entered the wildlife mirrorless photography game at the Z9 level. My brief experience with an early firmware Z7 was less than perfect; I'd use a D850 instead any time.

Seeing what people can produced using the Sony A1 amply demonstrates AF performance of these latest high-end mirrorless bodies.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/26/2023 at 11:12 AM, Dieter Schaefer said:

I am glad I entered the wildlife mirrorless photography game at the Z9 level. My brief experience with an early firmware Z7 was less than perfect; I'd use a D850 instead any time.

Seeing what people can produced using the Sony A1 amply demonstrates AF performance of these latest high-end mirrorless bodies.

Likewise to Mike and Dieter. I stated using the Z6 from late 2018, and it showed me the advantages of mirrorless, but I kept on using the D5 and D500 for wildlife. In the mean time I accumulated a few Z lenses. Plenty of my friends have moved to the Sony A9, A1 and Canon R5 for wildlife. The Z9 is finally merging everything into one camera body again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...