Bourdoir Photography...

hjoseph7

I'm scheduled to shoot a wedding in August. The bride asked me to take some Boudoir pictures of her at her home before the wedding. Trying to act professional I told her "No problem", but I'm not really sure how to handle this ?  First of all, I never shot Boudoir photos before, second of all how is this going to be possible with the brides maids and parent in the mix ?  

She probably means weeks or months before the wedding.  

Do some research.  If you're not familiar with off camera lighting, you may be able to do it by window light.  You can also find someone more familiar with boudoir work and hire them as an assistant to help you learn.  It could turn out to be worth the investment.

• Like 1

How erotic does she want to be? Are you happy with erotic or even mildly titillating content? To me boudoir stuff is usually rather tacky. Are you happy with that? If you embrace people's perhaps more sexual side then go ahead, otherwise an extremely awkward session may result, which may be embarrassing for both parties. I'd stay clear unless you are confident in these matters and suggest she finds someone else. If you must proceed, you need to ask her to be more precise in what she has in mind. Maybe she has something really tame in mind, but you should find out, it is hard to guess.

Robin Smith

On 1/25/2023 at 6:56 AM, hjoseph7 said:

The bride asked me to take some Boudoir pictures of her at her home before the wedding.

Ed might be on the money, she might mean "Boudoir pictures at my home before the Wedding Date" - however, she might mean "arrive earlier on the day, before you start the Wedding Coverage  : I have had both requests.

The latter typically comprised Wedding/Bridal Portraiture (i.e. Bride only) in modes of her attire before she put on the Wedding Gown. Technically, there is little difference to lighting and producing typical Bridal Portraiture of a Bride in her Gown - except one would typically emphasize elements of: (for example) the garter, the bustier, the suspenders, etc.        

If she means the former, then she might want more typical Boudoir, comprising elements of the bedroom, the invitation, expected/anticipated intimacy, etc. In this case, my Brides have wanted these images as a gift/memoir for themselves and to share with their Groom. 

In the first instance you need to clarify (exactly) what she is asking.  

First of all, I never shot Boudoir photos before,

Identifying what she wants will better place you to manage the shoot. As advised, once you know what she wants - do the research, report back here would be a first good step; and, importantly do some practice.

. . . second of all how is this going to be possible with the brides maids and parent in the mix ?  

In either case I have outlined, I think it would be odd, if the Bridesmaids and/or Parents were to be in the mix of the Bride's Boudoir session.

WW

On 1/24/2023 at 11:56 AM, hjoseph7 said:

I'm scheduled to shoot a wedding in August. The bride asked me to take some Boudoir pictures of her at her home before the wedding. Trying to act professional I told her "No problem", but I'm not really sure how to handle this ?  First of all, I never shot Boudoir photos before, second of all how is this going to be possible with the brides maids and parent in the mix ?  

She probably means an another day besides the wedding.  It seems it would be a bit much to do on the day, but you might want to clarify with the bride.  Often on the day, there are often pre-wedding brides and groom getting ready pics, so you could already have a pretty full day.