Exacta O Exacta

Sogal

I have recently inherited an Exacta Varex VX - family heirloom - with a vague instruction to "do whatever you can with it."  Convincing my local repair shop in Portland, Oregon, has not been successful; neither has calls to a few out of town shops.  I have never repaired a camera, but in general, with instructions and the right tools, I am moderately handy.  Do you know of any alternate source for Upton's book?  Does anyone here have a copy they are done with and are willing to part with (i'll pay).  This camera is destined to sit on a shelf - hoping its destiny can be changed with help from this community.

What's the problem with the camera ? Are just looking to get it inspected to see if it is in good working order or not ?

If mine ever breaks down, it can stay broken down ... I'll just buy another one .... looking at them is like looking at a WW2 tank, how would you get it apart, and then get it back together again so it works ?

@kmac the camera needs a cla and new shutter curtains.  it seems to "work" i.e. nothing feels broken.  but who knows what gremlins lie among its complicated innards.  i can let this sit - i do not have any exacta specific fetish - but it's a family heirloom that means something to people who mean a lot to me; it would make all of us happy to see this particular contraption brought back to operational status.  

getting it apart and the harder part of getting it back together again is why i'm looking for the book; that book that anyone who has it  swears by, is my last hope for a phoenix!

Having owned several Exaktas in the past, personally, I'd not try to CLA it myself, although I've occasionally done several simple cameras. You're much better off finding a good technician so you don't end up with lots of camera parts and a camera which doesn't work as it should.

They are generally widespread and have not changed much  in the 50+ years of production..only the later models suffered in quality parts and assembly.  Most often the curtains are old and crispy. Rick Oleson has a guide for 15,00 that coverrs lots of camera models with hand drawn guides.. I believe this model is covered there. Is the Upton books so long out-of-printthat it's not available?  'Tempus Fugit" 
Another inquired.. what's wrong with it?   It may yet work or be in some semblance of working.... The reference to a Tank is quite the case. 
There is a forum contributor from India whio has some experience with repairs etc and might be able to guide you if you ask the right questions. IF you search this forum for Exacta you will find his name ..abbreviated is SP.
I noted now you've said it appears to be working.. then shoot a roll of something and see what it needs. 

Edited by chuck_foreman1

if you are willing to wait for perfection, Master mechanic Andrea Schønfelder at Olbrich's repair shop in Göttingen will fix any old east German camera, I recently had my Exacta "vest pocket" from the late 1930es expertly revived by her team there.

p.

@ph. I received a response from Andrea Schønfelder saying he is willing to take on the repair, again thanks!  I am in the US...what service have you used for international shipping.  DHL and FedEx are quoting in excess of $200 for one way shipping...

I encourage you to investigate USPS international shipping rates, which are significantly less than what you show for Fedex & DHL. You don't need the fastest delivery, which costs more, so should be able to find a much more agreeable rate. FWIW I've never paid more than $40 USD to/from Japan, and usually had delivery within 5-6 days.

Sogal Hi!

I sent you a reply today. Let me know the details. CLA is simple; no problems there.  Fixing new curtains takes some patience and effort, time too. I think that I can do these repairs still, slowly.  Except for the slow speed clock work, I am still enthusiastic about renewing the Exakta VX series.

At 85 years, in and out of hospitals a few times I am at 50% energy level now. But functional and mentally alert, as can be.

Greetings & regards to all at Photo.Net Forum on Classic Manual Cameras. Hope come back with some pictures.

Adios!

subbarayan prasanna

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I got my Varex VX back after a complete overhaul of both lens and body from Andrea Schønfelder.  Thanks for @ph. for pointing me to Andrea! There was something fitting for the camera to go back to its birth place to be reborn.  Andrea did a wonderful job on resurrecting this very battered camera.  I also had very little hope for the Biotar.  I am very happy with the results!

Thx to @chuck_foreman1, @John Farrell for the tips.  

Very special thanks for @subbarayan_prasanna for offering to sit beside me and teach me to fix it myself!  I just could not be in Bangalore 🙂  Hope you are in good health again.

Biotar.jpg

• Like 3

I've heard so much about the Biotar and that close up pic of flowers is actually "dreamy" like may others have described - i don't think i've had that reaction to any  other lens 🙂  (ok, except for an accidental shot with a flare from a Rikenon).  I also have a CZJ Tessar on a Werra.  To my eyes, the portrait and landscape pics look very similar - shockingly similar in fact; i have to shoot a similar close up with the Tessar at 2.8 and see what comes out.  Now that i've got this new toy, i'm looking forward to playing around with them together.

Again, grateful to all on this forum!