The AI camera assistant

hjoseph7

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose.  But otherwise, it is just a fancier than usual light meter.

It seems that there is now discussion about AI generated art.

Well, there is discussion about the ChatGPT essay writer, and students using

it for school assignments.

But there is now also AI for making pictures. That is, not taking them but

making them, like paintings and such.  And then the question about who

gets the copyright.  Reminds me of the monkey copyright question from

not so many years ago...

• Like 1

-- glen

It seems that for some years now, there are cameras that, when you press the

shutter release, take a series of pictures, and then select the one with most

people smiling to write to memory card. 

But you could have fancier ones, that make more decisions over composition

and framing. 

• Like 1

-- glen

Interesting! Thanks for sharing the article. I think Ryan Stout makes some valid points - at least, given today's 'photography tech' status:

- Mobile Phone photography has probably led the way in applying AI in recent years, rather than DSLR/Mirrorless photography

- Selecting and perfecting the 'best' photos in post-processing can be a labor-intensive process (though this is changing too)

I'm sure that Arsenal 2 tech. appeals to photographers who want to use AI to take 'perfect photos' without the hassle of manually adjusting settings. Arsenal 2 seems to be more sophisticated AI than DSLR 'Full Automatic mode'. But Arsenal 2 might be temporarily 'bridging the AI tech. gap' until similar tech is introduced into newer camera bodies.

On the one hand 'in-camera AI' (like Arsenal 2) is becoming ever more sophisticated. At the same time, post-processing apps that use AI technology are becoming ever more sophisticated too. It'll be interesting to see if, how and when these 2 types of AI apps connect.

FWIW, I came across this Shotkit review of AI Photo tools to try in 2023. One of the most interesting for me was 'Aftershoot' which uses AI to help its users 'cull' (and select) photos from a batch. It provisionally rates photos in the batch based on the user's criteria such as blur, open eyes, duplicates, etc. and sorts these into different 'buckets' which the user can then quickly review. The user can at any time manually change the rating of a photo or move photos from one 'bucket' to another. It can be used before importing photos into Lightroom or CaptureOne or - with a bit more prep - be used within these apps.

Another interesting development is that users of the web-based and mobile versions of Lightroom can use Adobe's AI Sensei tech to search through photos that are synched to their Adobe cloud storage. So users can for example search their photos in the Adobe cloud based on terms like 'water', beach' or 'red'. At the moment, this AI search only works with photos stored in (synched with) Adobe's cloud storage.  I hope that it at some stage also becomes available for 'Lightroom Classic' and for locally stored photos. Ideally, the 'Aftershoot' type of AI tech would become fully integrated in Lightroom.

Interesting times ahead! If I live that long 😉.

For me personally, manually rating/selecting/culling photos from a photoshoot is (as an amateur) part of the fun. And these days, I rarely take more than than 100-150 shots at any 'photoshoot.' And not very often. But for professional (wedding/sport/...) photographers, I'm sure that these kind of AI apps can really speed up their workflow. What I like is that these AI apps is that they only make 'recommendations' to make final rating/selection/culling easier and less time-consuming The final choice about which photos make the grade is always made by the photographer (or human assistant).

Edited by mikemorrellNL