Complaint about forum category labels

mike_halliwell

• 3 weeks later...

I've lost count of forum re-orgs over the past 20+ years, but this one is the worst.

"Assisted Cameras"- Most cameras require some assistance.

Film cameras need assistance loading, shooting, unloading, and developing the images.

The process is different from Digital.

Digital cameras require much more assistance, and type of assistance is much more complex. Likely to generate a different type of thread.

1 hour ago, Brian1664876441 said:

"Assisted Cameras"- Most cameras require some assistance.

"Assisted Film Cameras":  I hope they are not implying that people who use film cameras are in Assisted Living?  🤣  Not true of course. 😎

Edited by Mary Doo

15 hours ago, Mary Doo said:

"Assisted Film Cameras":  I hope they are not implying that people who use film cameras are in Assisted Living?  🤣  Not true of course. 😎

I think it means that no thought was given into the new forum structure.

The use of the word "Assisted" in the forum name shows that this 30 year old forum is going senile.

2 hours ago, rodeo_joe1 said:

Strange that whoever was responsible for the cryptic "assisted" adjective has never explained the intended meaning. 

A simple explanation, correction of the typo, or removal of the "assisted" word would put a stop to all speculation... but where would be the fun in that? 

I would guess it refers to cameras that are not "Classic manual film cameras" which is another equipment category.

1 hour ago, ilkka_nissila said:

I would guess it refers to cameras that are not "Classic manual film cameras" which is another equipment category.

Thing is, that most of the Nikon experts hang out in this forum. So anyone with any Nikon-related question, film or digital, new or old, would be best directed here. Same goes, I guess, for the Canon, Pentax, etc. fora. Therefore the 'assisted' prefix is confusing, indecipherable and pretty much totally unnecessary. 

The old (and young) farts in the classic camera forum need not be troubled from their nostalgia-fest. 😴

Edited by rodeo_joe1

40 minutes ago, Mary Doo said:

Someone should write or talk to them.

Unless someone else is taking some action (this eyesore has been around long enough). I will write the following to the "Help" or whatever forum -  If no one objects:

Re:  " Home > Forums > Gear & Equipment Discussion > DSLR & Assisted Film Cameras > Nikon"

"Assisted"  makes no sense.  Nikon forum members have been waiting for the other shoe to drop but nothing happens so far.  

Fact:  The Nikon forum accepts all equipment discussion, whether ancient, antique, vintage, film, DSLR, mirrorless...  Sometimes everything is lumped into one thread.  So there is no need to categorize.

Thus here is a suggestion:  Eliminate "DSLR & Assisted Film Cameras".  Please do something.  Thanks.

• Like 2

They took the inexplicable "assisted" out, but "DSLR & Film Cameras" is still an incorrect description because this would exclude older-than-DSLR cameras and the current mirrorless crop.  I am requesting/hoping they will further modify it to "all camera types" or "miscellaneous camera types" or  eliminate this subcategory altogether as I suggested.  

27 minutes ago, Mary Doo said:

They took the inexplicable "assisted" out, but "DSLR & Film Cameras" is still an incorrect description because this would exclude older-than-DSLR cameras and the current mirrorless crop.  I am requesting/hoping they will further modify it to "all camera types" or "miscellaneous camera types" or  eliminate this subcategory altogether as I suggested.  

What about: "Rangefinder/SLR/DSLR and Mirrorless"? or maybe "Past and Present Nikon Cameras"?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, samstevens said:
On 1/25/2023 at 5:03 PM, ilkka_nissila said:

Mixing brands in the same forum (ie. mirrorless digital cameras) over time can lead to a lot of brand wars.

And that would say a lot more about PN users than administration's categorization. 🙄

Interestingly, brand free forums such as 'Nature' don't become Brand Wars!

Just Saying.....🤣

3 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

Interestingly, brand free forums such as 'Nature' don't become Brand Wars!

Just Saying.....🤣

I don’t know if you are trying to suggest that brand wars are a function of categories rather than those who would engage in them bearing the responsibility. It’s hard to tell what point you’re making. In any case, keep in mind that correlation is different from cause. The fact that brand-oriented forums are more likely than genre forums to result in brand wars doesn’t necessarily say those forums are the cause. Participants might want to take some responsibility and certainly have the choice whether to start or engage in these tired equipment battles. Now, onto more important things such as The Beatles vs. The Rolling Stones. 😊

"You talkin' to me?"