Complaint about forum category labels

mike_halliwell

4 hours ago, c.p.m._van_het_kaar said:

Mmmm there is also a forum title "Mirrorless Digital Cameras " , but that one does not include the Nikon brand ...

It neither explicitly include nor exclude Nikon cameras. I recall that was created a number of years ago when mirrorless was just starting with Micro 3/4, Sony, Fuji, Nikon 1 and Canon EOS-M.

I think the division, unlike with Canon etc, came about in Nikon's case by the new Z Mirrorless Mount replacing the F DSLR/SLR Mount. 

The E-mount lenses were a short term gap filler whilst changing from mechanical F Mount and all electronic Z mount.

Comes back to the mechanical aperture linkage but no AF linkage for FTZs

Mixing brands in the same forum (ie. mirrorless digital cameras) over time can lead to a lot of brand wars. I think it is better to keep the equipment forums brand-specific rather than categorized by camera type. This will lead to fewer brand fights and people will more easily find the right forum to post in. At the moment it seems like posting about Z cameras on this forum is against the current categorization.

There are also Sony and Minolta DSLRs and film cameras, Leica DSLRs, Leica mirrorless cameras etc. so many orphaned camera types (but only on this site).

It would be best to remove the added layer (mirrorless / DSLR &Assisted film cameras) and just list the camera forums by brand.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, rodeo_joe1 said:

So, still the sub-category and 'assisted' adjective persists. Surely that's got to be a typo? 

Otherwise, what the heck is an 'assisted' film camera?? 

One with TTL? AF? A pistol-grip? Motor drive? It's own set of wheels? 

What?! 

When i put it into "Google Translate" to translate it into Dutch it becomes "DSLR en ondersteunde filmcamera's" 

When i translate that back into English it becomes "DSLR and supported film cameras"  

SO i guess "Assisted"i s the same as "Supported" .. ...

26 minutes ago, John Seaman said:

I still think it should be "associated film cameras", that is, film cameras which are predecessors  of the digital marques using the same lens mounts, flash protocols etc.

... The "DSLR" part still leaves out non-DSLR cameras.  It's better to be all inclusive (i.e., to include mirrorless and whatever else that comes in the future).   Less is more.  This forum also discusses non-camera accessories.