How to make a subject pop

derrick_sorensen

It depends what you’re after. The doorway he’s sitting in seems more like a graphic black box than shadows. Having some sense of the space and depth of the garage would offer more interest for me. It might even add to the storytelling of the photo if I had a sense of what was in the garage or even just a sense of the emptiness (different from blackness) of it. Something I value is making a subject pop even when there’s a background visible that is supporting that subject. But, while being seen against black is naturally going to make most subjects pop, in a photo like this which has a street vibe and other elements, the subject can still garner attention with less severity behind him. 

• Excellent! 1

"You talkin' to me?"

11 hours ago, derrick_sorensen said:

Sometimes shadows really help make a subject stand out. Thoughts? 

Thanks for posting! Yes (sometimes), I agree with you. As in your photo.

More generally, Contrast is one the ways of making subjects stand out against a 'background'. Contrast between light and dark (as in your photo). Sometimes Contrast in Color (subject background) and often Contrast in Sharpness (subject sharp, background unsharp).

FWIW, photographers often distinguish between:

- subject separation (from the background): making the subject stand out from the background, and

- making a photo (as a whole or in part) 'pop'

In both cases, one or more forms of 'Contrast' are used. Both 'in camera' when choosing (and designing) a subject/background or scene and in post-processing.

So photographers might ask a 'model' to wear brighter clothes to stand out against a more neutral background. They may use a focal length and aperture that brings a subject into sharp focus while the background is less sharp. They may use Lighting techniques to make sure that their subjects are 'lighter' against a darker background,  Landscape/Cityscape photographers might choose a scene (and weather conditions and time of day) that is rich in light/dark and/or color contrasts. Often, photographers of people and things tend to look for 'uncluttered' (or at least unsharp) backgrounds against which their subjects will stand out. Street photography is often a fast, dynamic interaction in photographing a 'subject' against the background.

One thing I noticed in your photo as a whole is that its 'histogram' covers about 2/3 of the 'greyscale range' (0-255). So it's generally 'underexposed'. I don't know whether or how you post-process photos. But moving the 'white point' on the histogram to the left in post-processing brightens up the whole photo. 

I'm not sure what the resolution is of the original photo but you could consider tighter cropping around the doorway and man. The only part of the man that's visible is his upper body and thigh. So perhaps you don't such a large frame that includes the whole motor scoot, chair and railing. Up to you.

Mike

PS. I occasionally download a copy of a photo for critique to take a closer look in Photoshop. I always delete these immediately. Yours too!

• Excellent! 1

11 hours ago, mikemorrellNL said:

Thanks for posting! Yes (sometimes), I agree with you. As in your photo.

More generally, Contrast is one the ways of making subjects stand out against a 'background'. Contrast between light and dark (as in your photo). Sometimes Contrast in Color (subject background) and often Contrast in Sharpness (subject sharp, background unsharp).

FWIW, photographers often distinguish between:

- subject separation (from the background): making the subject stand out from the background, and

- making a photo (as a whole or in part) 'pop'

In both cases, one or more forms of 'Contrast' are used. Both 'in camera' when choosing (and designing) a subject/background or scene and in post-processing.

So photographers might ask a 'model' to wear brighter clothes to stand out against a more neutral background. They may use a focal length and aperture that brings a subject into sharp focus while the background is less sharp. They may use Lighting techniques to make sure that their subjects are 'lighter' against a darker background,  Landscape/Cityscape photographers might choose a scene (and weather conditions and time of day) that is rich in light/dark and/or color contrasts. Often, photographers of people and things tend to look for 'uncluttered' (or at least unsharp) backgrounds against which their subjects will stand out. Street photography is often a fast, dynamic interaction in photographing a 'subject' against the background.

One thing I noticed in your photo as a whole is that its 'histogram' covers about 2/3 of the 'greyscale range' (0-255). So it's generally 'underexposed'. I don't know whether or how you post-process photos. But moving the 'white point' on the histogram to the left in post-processing brightens up the whole photo. 

I'm not sure what the resolution is of the original photo but you could consider tighter cropping around the doorway and man. The only part of the man that's visible is his upper body and thigh. So perhaps you don't such a large frame that includes the whole motor scoot, chair and railing. Up to you.

Mike

PS. I occasionally download a copy of a photo for critique to take a closer look in Photoshop. I always delete these immediately. Yours too!

Wow thank you all so much! Back when I joined photo.net this type of  feedback seemed more regular, all super helpful! It’s nice to see that people are willing to put together such helpful critiques. I did play around in Lightroom Mobile, this is an adjusted and cropped version of the original, might have to go back in and play around now that I’m armed with a better understanding. The light was pretty flat when I took it so we will see what I can do. Composition wise I like this one but you all hit it right on the head I think. 

• Like 1