How to remove column to right of screen.

Mary Doo

How do I get rid of the column to the right of the Nikon Forum (maybe in other forums too) that is taking up screen real estate?  I believe not many people want to look at those contents such as who is online, image comments,... who knows what.

Edited by Mary Doo

• Mary Doo changed the title to How to remove column to right of screen.
1 hour ago, Sandy Vongries said:

Click on the arrow screen left, an X will appear on each of the boxes on the right. Click each, then click finish editing.

I see no arrow on the left of the screen........could you please elaborate? Thanks 🙂

This website continues to get more and more difficult to navigate 😞 It was so much simpler in 2007 🙂

2 minutes ago, nail33 said:

I see no arrow on the left of the screen........could you please elaborate? Thanks 🙂

This website continues to get more and more difficult to navigate 😞 It was so much simpler in 2007 🙂

Everything was simpler then.  I had all of my teeth, most of my hair, and arthritis was unknown.  Some tell me I looked better too!

• Like 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

I have only started to find these right-hand columns irritating since they began to be full of spammers' pictures. For the time being I have blocked the 'Albums' pane using the 'Block specific element' feature of Adblock Plus. However, this just stops that block appearing, and I get an empty white space where it was; the space isn't freed up for other stuff to be wider.

I was blocking the wrong element. If you select the right piece, the main text areas do widen and use the whole width. What I have blocked is

photo.net###ipsLayout_sidebar , and 

photo.net##.ipsLayout_sidebarright

Edited by Dustin McAmera
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, nail33 said:

I see no arrow on the left of the screen........could you please elaborate?

Same here. Can't get rid of the stuff in the right hand column and don't know where to find the menu Sandy and Norman are talking about. In Sandy's second picture above, there's a tiny little arrow all the way on the left about halfway down. I'm on a Mac and don't see such an arrow. Sandy, is that the only way you're able to access the menu you're showing. It may be that it's simply not available to Mac users. It's annoying to have all that info taking up about a third of the screen, though I'm already getting used to just ignoring it. So, no biggie. Just curious. Thanks.

"You talkin' to me?"

17 minutes ago, samstevens said:

Same here. Can't get rid of the stuff in the right hand column and don't know where to find the menu Sandy and Norman are talking about. In Sandy's second picture above, there's a tiny little arrow all the way on the left about halfway down. I'm on a Mac and don't see such an arrow. Sandy, is that the only way you're able to access the menu you're showing. It may be that it's simply not available to Mac users. It's annoying to have all that info taking up about a third of the screen, though I'm already getting used to just ignoring it. So, no biggie. Just curious. Thanks.

If I were paid, or inside, I'd probably have an array of devices to view and test on.  Unfortunately, all my experience is with Windows, and that is all I have.  Do wish I could help.

• Like 1

Now it seems sometimes that annoying-unwanted column is there and sometimes it is not.  Someone mentions on another thread that I started before (but could not find earlier) that there is an "X" on the column and one can click on it for good riddance.  That would be good, but I don't see it.

The layout for this site is two columns--body and side column.  This is a typical layout, and if you want to consider what "professional" developers think of that, have a look at one of their forums:  https://www.theadminzone.com/ .  Or the Nikonians forum:  https://www.nikonians.org/forum . Or https://www.dpreview.com/forums/1034 and on and on.  What I see the developer did here is leave the side column out on any of the threads themselves, giving a wider topic display with no visual distraction.  That's better than a whole lot of the others...

There is likely a plugin that lets users edit their own theme appearance.  Several photo sites have this, and it is usually a perk of subscribing.  We don't.  I am happy that things are moving along at all!

Admins can edit blocks.  That's what Sandy's screen shots showed.  Regular humans such as ourselves cannot.  

And gee, isn't it awful to be exposed to a random sampling of the Gallery work of others on a regular basis?  No hiding in the tech boards. The horror.  And that is what I thought this place was really about. 😎

Edited by PapaTango

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

2 hours ago, PapaTango said:

And gee, isn't it awful to be exposed to a random sampling of the Gallery work of others on a regular basis?  No hiding in the tech boards. The horror.  And that is what I thought this place was really about. 😎

This place has mostly seemed to be about different things for different people. I used the galleries and the ability to give and receive personal critiques a lot when I first joined. I no longer do. That was partially a choice and partially due to the poor software functionality or poor programming of said software on the gallery side. Sure, this site is about photos. But there’s a distinction between being exposed to them and being barraged. I’m not saying these sideboards are completely on the side of barrage, but for me the needle is trending at least midway between it and exposure. There’s other info on the sideboards as well, such as recent forum posts and who’s online. I always knew where to get that info and don’t need it crowding my territory and beckoning to my peripheral vision. 

The option to turn it off would be nice but there are other more important issues I’d like to see taken care of first. Like I said, I’m already able to ignore it for the most part.

@Normanski suggests using my iPad in portrait instead of landscape mode which does make it disappear. So, a big thanks for that. I’m in such a habit of using landscape mode for a variety of reason. But at least I know if I’m not in the mood for another blazing red sunset or wintry fantasy scene or the ginormous boobies I ran into yesterday, there’s a relatively easy way out.

• Excellent! 1

"You talkin' to me?"

SOLVED!

In response to your comments, the ability to select a different user theme is now available.  The default PhotoNet Sidebars v2 theme displays the right sidebar throughout the site.  Choosing PhotoNet No Sidebars v2.1 theme removes them.  This feature is subject to future availability, and may become subject to subscription.  Theme option control is located at the bottom of the site in the footer, as shown below.

777811660_ThemeOption.thumb.png.3d0b71244e0cc61f814b4fa66b0b6119.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent! 2
  • Very Nice 1