Nikon Wednesday 2023: #3

Matt Laur

Note: In the interests of balancing performance and quality, the topic of image file size and dimensions as normally posted to this recurring thread is under discussion elsewhere in the Nikon forum (the topic is obvious when you look) - please check in there and comment if you have thoughts to share! That's the best place to talk about that particular topic. For now, consider keeping uploads no larger than 1600 pixels on the long side when it matters, and sticking with 1000 pixels when the image feels no pain at that resolution. On data size/compression, try to keep things under 1mb, shooting for 600kb when you can stop there. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you new to this thread? The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are right here: https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/398109-guidelines-for-nikon-forum-wednesday-image-threadsFor now, we're sticking with 1, 2, or 3 images per week as you see fit.

Fresh off the back patio, one of our local foxes. This is Tip - he makes rounds all night, mousing and looking for any food scraps we might leave around. There's a lonely little 75w lamp out back, so getting a shot of him is a challenge. Here, the Z9 was at ISO 16,000 (!!!), and a 70-200/2.8 wide open. Still could only get the shutter up to 1/6th of a second, which of course is just a blur magnet. So, I made a gentle little tap on the window, and Tip froze for a moment to assess the sound. That was just the sixth-of-a-second-fox-statue I needed. Sure, it's a bit grainy and soft considering the realities of the exposure. But for a guy that remembers souping 800 speed film with gritted teeth and very low expectations, this sort of thing is practically sorcery. Share something on this fine Nikon Wednesday!

2023-01-17_patio_fox.thumb.jpg.2088c8855cd3173ead3da253660e8c0c.jpg
  • Like 16

5 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

Need a helicopter on the drilling platform to determine the vintage of this image, 😁  but obviously after 1977 when the FM was introduced.

With very limited information, Detective Shun's statement is correct!  This photo was taken in 1984.  I bought my FM in 1979.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mike_halliwell said:

Nikon Z9 (!) + 500mm PF + TC1.4Eii. 1/1000 f 8 ISO 320. Teal.

Mike, nice picture and congratulations on the new Z9. I assume all new Z9 must have at least firmware version 3.00 or perhaps the latest 3.01. In case anybody has 2.11 or earlier, please make sure you upgrade to 3.01.

• Like 2