Nikon Firmware Update for Z-Mount SuperTeles, 400 (2.8 & 4.5), 600, and 800mm

ShunCheung

The firmware upgrades are for the 400mm/f2.8, 400mm/f4.5, 600mm/f4, and 800mm/f6.3 PF lenses, all upgrading to version 1.10: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/update/index/2023.html

It looks like only the Z6ii, Z7ii, and the Z9 support the new capabilities, not the original Z5, Z6, Z7 and the DX bodies.

From Nikon:

• The lens now supports options for [Focus ring rotation range] * in the camera [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU] in addition to [Non-linear]. When a linear option is selected, rotating the focus ring the selected amount in manual focus mode will take the lens from the minimum focus distance to infinity, regardless of the speed with which the ring is rotated.
  • Added support for the [Switch focus/control ring roles] * feature in the camera [CUSTOM SETTINGS MENU].

* As of January 2023, the cameras that support these options are (from “C” firmware version 2.00) the Z 9 and (from “C” firmware version 1.40) the Z 7II and Z 6II.

One thing that I would like to see is lens-dependent settings regarding the manual focus ring turn. Now if one chooses one of the linear settings from the menu, all lenses (that support this customization) have the same turn. This may or may not be ideal, for example, a macro lens might benefit from a longer turn. 

Interesting that the Nikon forum is now under Modern film cameras. Perhaps whoever is editing the site hasn't looked inside the content of the forums. 

34 minutes ago, ilkka_nissila said:

Interesting that the Nikon forum is now under Modern film cameras. Perhaps whoever is editing the site hasn't looked inside the content of the forums. 

That change surprised me as well.

I upgraded the firmware on my 800mm PF, and it only took around 10 seconds or so. (Didn't time it accurately.) In these days I am more used to Z9 firmware upgrades, which typically take about 6 minutes.

12 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

😉

There are so many contradictions in the forum hierarchy now.

One can differentiate between modern (i.e. autofocus & with all the modern bells and whistles) and classic (old) manual film cameras, if one wants to, and I can see that this makes some sense. In any case apparently the sales of film has increased and stores now stock varieties that used to be discontinued. There is now Ektachrome E100, for example.

Edited by ilkka_nissila

1 hour ago, mike_halliwell said:

Film yes!

Cameras, not so sure. When was the last high-end Nikon/Canon film camera introduced? F6 2004, i think?

Well, there are millions of perfectly functional Nikon 35mm cameras around, it is not a problem to find one, and for low prices as well. It would be difficult for a new camera to compete with such excellent cameras available at low prices.

Forums are not just discussing cameras that are presently available new but also cameras that people use or want to use. The purpose of the photo.net forums is to help people solve their photographic problems and not necessarily to help promote the sales of new cameras (which is the purpose of some other forums, it seems).

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ilkka_nissila said:

also cameras that people use or want to use

No problem with that. I still keep my F80 incase someone wants me to take slides.

It's the label Modern Film Cameras....

What date does a camera need to be to be NOT modern... pre 1980, pre 2000 maybe ?

No AF or perhaps no internal lightmeter? 

36 minutes ago, ilkka_nissila said:

Rangefinders contain mirrors and/or prisms (which are basically acting like mirrors), so they're not mirrorless.

Indeed they do, but they are no-where to be seen in the actual image forming 'pathway'.

They have mirrored 'viewfinders'.

My car isn't mirrorless either....🙂

16 minutes ago, mike_halliwell said:

Indeed they do, but they are no-where to be seen in the actual image forming 'pathway'.

They have mirrored 'viewfinders'.

The rangefinder (which contains the mirrors / prisms) is used for viewing the subject and for focusing. The mirrors in DSLRs are used for the same purposes: viewfinder and focusing. They are not in the image-forming pathway when the shot is taken.

Mirrorless cameras are actually mirrorless.

There are video cameras where there is a beam splitter between the main lens and the image sensors (three sensors) that stay in place during the image capture, they are called Three-CCD cameras. Sony's SLT technology also had a semitransparent mirror in the optical path when the shot was taken. However, it seems neither technology is popular today.

Edited by ilkka_nissila

2 hours ago, mike_halliwell said:

On some EVs, the center rear-view "mirror" is actually a video image flipped to look like a mirror image. I suppose the side mirrors are still actual mirrors.

As far as what is "modern" is concern, I think perhaps we can draw the line on AF cameras. From the Nikon N2020/F501 from 1986 and on, they are "modern" film cameras, until digital came along. Yeah, I know there was the F3AF. 😁

• Like 1