F1 waist level finder compatibility

Hi all,

Can someone confirm whether the old style F1 waist level finder will an F1 New? OR Can I view the image while having the camera 1-2 feet away from my face, using the new style waist level finder found on an F-1 New?

I'd like to use an FD camera the same way I might a TLR - with the camera closer to my waist, maybe 1-2 feet away from my eye. I focus using only the distance scale, on a 20mm lens, so close detailed viewing isn't a priority.  I don't want to have the camera up to my eye, like I do my A-1.  This is for an upcoming trip to Mexico City, where I want to photograph but while still giving the appearance of being aware of my surroundings.  

Thanks, Anthony

(I can't seem to change my screen name - hopefully it's just a glitch).  

A waist-level finder for the original F-1 will not fit onto a New F-1.  Can't comment on using a new F-1 waist-level finder on a new F-1.

If you want to use your F-1 like a TLR, just take off the standard viewfinder and look down at the focusing screen.  Since you're using a 20mm lens, just scale focus.  I've done this plenty of times with my F-1.  A great way to take candid street photography pics.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jim_bielecki1 said:

A waist-level finder for the original F-1 will not fit onto a New F-1.  Can't comment on using a new F-1 waist-level finder on a new F-1.

If you want to use your F-1 like a TLR, just take off the standard viewfinder and look down at the focusing screen.  Since you're using a 20mm lens, just scale focus.  I've done this plenty of times with my F-1.  A great way to take candid street photography pics.

Thanks Jim, that's helpful.  I wasn't sure if I could use the camera without a finder (without the focussing screen falling out).  Scale focussing and using an incident meter is how I work already, so that part is familiar.  No finder at all may be what I decide to do.  

Edited by httpwww.photo.netphoto1664881294

36 minutes ago, httpwww.photo.netphoto1664881294 said:

Thanks Jim, that's helpful.  I wasn't sure if I could use the camera without a finder (without the focussing screen falling out).  Scale focussing and using an incident meter is how I work already, so that part is familiar.  No finder at all may be what I decide to do.  

I use an incident meter too, and no chance of the screen falling out, Canon's press-the-sceen-in system is very secure.  The biggest problem when shooting without the viewfinder, is what to do with it.  The prism optics are exposed and can be damaged if they hit metal or something hard in your pocket or camera case.  It helps greatly if you have a bottom cover for a prism.  Slide that on, and you're okay.

14 minutes ago, jim_bielecki1 said:

I use an incident meter too, and no chance of the screen falling out, Canon's press-the-sceen-in system is very secure.  The biggest problem when shooting without the viewfinder, is what to do with it.  The prism optics are exposed and can be damaged if they hit metal or something hard in your pocket or camera case.  It helps greatly if you have a bottom cover for a prism.  Slide that on, and you're okay.

Good to know - very reassuring - thanks!