XQD and CFx Working Together in Z9?

mike_halliwell

Mike, based upon my experience with my Z9, my answer is No. I have a CFx card is slot 1 and a XQD card in slot 2. They both can accept images.. I have slot 2 set to overflow so it only gets used when the card in slot 1 is full. 

The related issue is buffer cleanout speed :   if both cards are used at the same time or if the write speeds on the cards are different. 

I plan on getting a second CFx card when I can find some spare $$. 

• Like 1

If you use one CFx B and one XQD in the Z9 and set it up as backup so that each RAW file is written onto both cards, when you shoot at 20 fps, the XQD will quickly beomce the bottleneck. If you use the CFx B as main and then overflow, it is a non issue until you need to actually use the XQD card.

• Like 1

If you shooting on XQD cards and want to use high frame rates, use of the HE setting of raw compression should give about 3 seconds of 20 fps in a burst before slowing down (this is according to Ricci's video). This should be ok for most situations but then if you're using the camera also in situations which have less subject action or generally without high fps you may want to go for a lossless compressed format to get the best image quality. Anyway although I may end up with a Z9 or Z9 II, I doubt I'll ever have a use for 20 fps. Typically I like single shot shooting (but would appreciate the AF capabilities and reduced VF lag of the Z9) and even when I do use burst, it is set to 7-10 fps not even the maximum capabilities of my cameras. I can't imagine how frustrated I'd be if I had to evaluate the focus and subtle differences in the subject expression and alignment of foreground vs. background elements in 20 fps bursts taken with a 45 MP sensor. Even with 20 MP and 9 fps I am struggling to find the energy to select the best images based on all the criteria that I use. So I should really shoot many fewer frames not more fps ... if I want to keep doing this.

But if you have a legitimate need for 20 fps and want to use the highest-quality RAW files then some CFexpress cards would be the option to choose.  Even with CFexpress you need to be aware of the (large!) differences in performance between different cards and preferably base the purchase decision on reports of the specific camera and card combinations that you're considering.

Edited by ilkka_nissila
  • Like 2