Nikon Wednesday 2023: #2

Matt Laur

Note: In the interests of balancing performance and quality, the topic of image file size and dimensions as normally posted to this recurring thread is under discussion elsewhere in the Nikon forum (the topic is obvious when you look) - please check in there and comment if you have thoughts to share! That's the best place to talk about that particular topic. For now, consider keeping uploads no larger than 1600 pixels on the long side when it matters, and sticking with 1000 pixels when the image feels no pain at that resolution. On data size/compression, try to keep things under 1mb, shooting for 600kb when you can stop there. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you new to this thread? The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are right here: Guidelines for Nikon Forum Wednesday Image Threads. For now, we're sticking with 1, 2, or 3 images per week as you see fit.

Last week's shots of some storm damage cleanup pointed me into another folder of some non-glamorous images documenting some damage in our local neighborhood, during a severe wind storm. I'm in Wayback Wednesday mode this week, so here's an image of a 120-foot hardwood that feel all the way across a street from one yard into the almost-finished construction site of a new home - and nailed the contractor's outhouse. Direct hit. Feel bad for whoever had to clean that up.  So let's seem some photos, and perhaps keep 2023 jogging along a bit!

2023-01-11_tree_outhouse.thumb.jpg.00c05af076614b0d4656555ef3ed60b8.jpg
  • Like 7

On 1/11/2023 at 5:52 AM, brian_niemi1 said:

453952088_P1034(2)-Edit.jpg.c609dc0d365e99772785ecee2fe63f18.jpg

F3.  50mm f/1.4

That doesn't look like a recent image either, certainly not from the last three years. But it is harder to pin point the date for this one, compared to the Union 76 gas station image: https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/537459-nikon-wednesday-2022-51/#comment-5762764

For those who are not familiar with it, the Notre Dame caught fire on 15 April 2019 and is still under reconstruction.

13 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

That must be extremely cold to begin with.

Temperature at the time the photo was taken was just around the freezing point - hence the heavy snow/ice load on the trees. It had been raining, then temperature dropped, so precipitation changed to sleet than snow. Trees were free again a day later when temperatures rose again.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer
  • Like 1

Sunset at Bolsa Chica Reserve in Southern California. The background is Bolsa Chica State Beach, and you can see the silhouette of a lifeguard tower and some oil drilling rig. There is also off-shore drilling along that coast. Nikon Z9 and 24-120/4 S @ 95mm, f5.6, 1/125 sec and ISO 64.

BolsaChicaSunset_1849.jpg.6972aefa7ef03ee1c49d5ed607730b03.jpg

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

That doesn't look like a recent image either, certainly not from the last three years. But it is harder to pin point the date for this one, compared to the Union 76 gas station image: https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/537459-nikon-wednesday-2022-51/#comment-5762764

For those who are not familiar with it, the Notre Dame caught fire on 15 April 2019 and is still under reconstruction.

Detective Shun is on the right track again!  This photo was taken in 1988.  By that time I had my F3.  Yes, back then, Notre Dame was in pretty good shape compared to now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brian_niemi1 said:

Detective Shun is on the right track again!  This photo was taken in 1988.  By that time I had my F3.  Yes, back then, Notre Dame was in pretty good shape compared to now.

I only play a detective on TV. 😄  In the mid 1980's, I was a poor grad student but a friend had a "real job" that paid well. He was showing off his brand new F3 and I looked at it with envy. After I finally graduated, I bought an FE2. The F3 is one Nikon body that I have never owned.

It looks like the French are trying to restore Notre Dame by April 2024, 5 years after the initial fire, ahead of the Paris Summer Olympics. Hopefully we'll get to see a better Notre Dame after that.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 7:06 AM, Matt Laur said:

The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are right here: Guidelines for Nikon Forum Wednesday Image Threads. For now, we're sticking with 1, 2, or 3 images per week as you see fit.

The linked page does not exist anymore, or the link is not correct, with the latest update of the website last year this link does not work anymore..