Canon 650 read the film speed wrong, or did it?

brian_m.1

I loaded a roll of 200 ASA Fuj film and the camera read it as ASA 320. I have had this camera since new and it has never got the film speed wrong. I am wondering if it's not the film itself. I can reset the film speed manually but not sure I have too.  Anyone seen anything like it?

I never had this happen but always checked the ASA set by the camera before using.  It it possible for the camera to misread the ASA, so I would definitely set it manually.  EOS 650 is quite old or there may be some dirt or corrosion on the sensor in the film compartment.

46 minutes ago, brian_m.1 said:

Would I be off too much if I leave things as they are? How many stops?

2/3 of a stop underexposed should be the result.  You could probably set exposure compensation to overexpose to compensate or just avoid shooting with slide film which is more fussy about exposure.

As AJG answered, 2/3 of a stop underexposed.  For shooting color print film it would not be a significant issue, but I prefer not to underexpose that type of film. Color print film has a whole lot of latitude for overexposure but far less tolerance for underexposure.   2/3 of a stop under is more likely an issue with color slides.  Seems the easiest solution is just change the ASA setting manually and check it each time you load film.  Cleaning the contacts on both the film cannister and camera would also make sense before you load another roll.

Edited by Ken Katz

DX coding usually relies on the cassette being conductive or reflective. So dirt on the cassette or camera contacts/sensors can easily give a wrong reading. 

Most cameras allow for a manual override of the DX coding, since some cassettes don't have a code. Just set the correct ISO manually - it's a trivial issue. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Greetings!

Now that I have the said roll back, I thought you might be interested in what happened. Nothing! Exposures came out perfect. As AJG mentioned, the 2/3 stop was not enough to make a difference. I have attached a few shots. Don't remember if I used flash or not. Might have. What do you think? BTW, wiped down the contacts, loaded a roll of 400 Kodak Gold and it read it just fine. Oh, what happened to Modern Film Cameras? 

000519510025.jpg

000519510023.jpg

000519510008.jpg

You should be able to tell from the look of the negatives.

Well, with the low gamma of color negatives, it isn't so easy. 

In any case, they are supposed to do well with one stop under, up to two or three stops over, exposure.

It might be that the shadow of the dog is the wrong color, but then again,

I don't know what color it is supposed to be.

-- glen