Canon Photo Thursday January 5, 2023

Mark Keefer

Happy New Year 2023 Canon Shooters and Photography enthusiasts. Once again it is time for this week's Canon Photo Thursday. 

This is your chance to share your epic, fun, cool, and/or interesting photo with everyone here on PN. Show us your vision, your style, your projects, your travels, adventures, photo missions or just something you shot that captured your fancy. You all know the drill, post one, two, three, or more photos shot from your Canon EOS Camera (SLR or DSLR or Mirrorless. Was your camera made by Canon? If so, post your shots). All are welcome to participate. Late postings are welcome. If you miss Thursday, feel free to add to the thread another day. Looking forward to seeing your shots. Pick up the camera and shoot something. Even if you didn't get out this week, you know you have some blast from the past stashed in your archives. We have a lot of regulars here reading. Jump in and post. Show us your shots.  I know with the season everyone can get very busy. I would like to thank everyone who has been sharing in Canon Photo Thursday. It means a lot, making starting this thread every week worth wild. Thank you for your support.

As always, I truly appreciate the support of our Canon friends and shooters. It's nice not to be left hanging. So come on gang let's show them what team Canon can do. Let's post some photos.   

This is an oldie from my collection. I believe this was shot on my old Canon 40D. It was a real work horse for my photo assignments many years ago.

Screenshot 2023-01-04 215342.jpg

• Like 6
Cheers, Mark

On 1/5/2023 at 2:05 AM, Mark Keefer said:

Happy New Year 2023 Canon Shooters and Photography enthusiasts. Once again it is time for this week's Canon Photo Thursday. 

This is your chance to share your epic, fun, cool, and/or interesting photo with everyone here on PN. Show us your vision, your style, your projects, your travels,

Hi Mark. 

My first real digital camera was the 40D. I really liked it. I gave it and two lenses to one of my granddaughters when I got my 5DMIII. I would love to be able to get out again for some more photo trips. I wat to go to Montour Falls, NY but think that's going to be hard now. I'll keep on watching and maybe post now and then.

• Like 4

Montour Falls NY is a great place to photograph waterfalls although last year it was nearly dry due to the drought. Nearby is Watkins Glen State Park which has many photo ops along the Gorge Trail. Well worth a visit. This photo is from the state park. Canon 5d 4, Canon 24-105 @ 40mm, f13 @ 2 1/2sec, ISO 50.235762579__MG_0954ps.thumb.jpg.be3818bfc96f3d7ff89e6605d0cbc8d1.jpg

Edited by tom_hamilton1
  • Like 7
  • Excellent! 1

16 minutes ago, tom_hamilton1 said:

Montour Falls NY is a great place to photograph waterfalls although last year it was nearly dry due to the drought. Nearby is Watkins Glen State Park which has many photo ops along the Gorge Trail. Well worth a visit. This photo is from the state park. Canon 5d 4, Canon 24-105 @ 40mm, f13 @ 2 1/2sec, ISO 50.

Nice shot Tom! I'm visiting Montour Falls vicariously through your photo.

Thanks!

This is Sha-Qua-Ga (tumbling waters) falls in "downtown" Montour Falls. You can drive to this spot. No hiking required. The entire area (Finger Lakes region of NY state) has many gorges and waterfalls. Spring and early summer are best as many tend to dry up as summer progresses. Canon 5D 4, Canon 24-105 @ 47mm, f11, 6 sec, 50 ISO.

1739946571__MG_2596ps.thumb.jpg.52dd1559d03c2f427e2844c2cb222fa9.jpg

Edited by tom_hamilton1
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, mickeysimpson said:

Hi Mark. 

My first real digital camera was the 40D. I really liked it. I gave it and two lenses to one of my granddaughters when I got my 5DMIII. I would love to be able to get out again for some more photo trips. I wat to go to Montour Falls, NY but think that's going to be hard now. I'll keep on watching and maybe post now and then.

I hope you find a way, Mickey. Still managing to get out and explore can sure help keep our spirits up seeing these beautiful places. One of our travelling songs is on the road again. "Seeing places we may never see again..." We are hitting the road again in the RV today, saying good bye to Oceanside California which has been base camp for the past 3 months. Heading North in the RV, next stop tonight is in Lost Hills North of Bakersfield. I believe there is a Nature preserve there. Then tomorrow we drive on to San Juan Batista above Salinas for a month, then the next couple months in Monterey. Moss doesn't  grow on a rolling stone.  Next to NY is Vermont. There is another Falls fairly easy to get to in Vermont called Glenn Moss Falls. It is about 75 feet back a dirt and board path from the road. It is not well marked at all, and parking on only on  side of the road. Beatuful driving in Vermont around the Scenic Highway after flowers bloom  and the summer in the mountains is surprisingly cool a humid free, at least the summer we spent there. The air so clean and the stars at night was amazing. . It takes a little detective work on Google  finding Glenn Moss Falls. Vermont reminds me of Pennsylvania Appalachian area in the 1960s when I was a kid riding in the car with my parents. Just pretty country. Sure hooe you manage to get out and continue the journey. I am doing it in an old but well maintained RV towing a car, so that can be both a blessing and at times a bit of work, but worth it. We are on the road most of the year. Do it while we can. Safe travels.

Edited by Mark Keefer
  • Like 3
Cheers, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark.

You’ve brought back many fond memories for me with your photography and comments about your travels. We had a 37’ Winnebago and most of our travels were on the east coast. We did not get as much time on the road as you, but we managed to get around to places other than New Jersey, where we live.

We’ve RV’d to Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine Michigan, Iowa, and Canadian Provinces Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. We started RVing with a mini-van dingy and later a Jeep Grand Cherokee. While living in Washington and Idaho we traveled (by car) to Oregon, British Columbia, Alberta. On our 30th anniversary we flew into Calgary and drove through Banff and Jasper National Parks including Lake Louise. We absolutely loved the Canadian Rockies.

Most of the time it was my wife Karen, our three daughters and frequently Karen’s Mom and Dad joined in. All of us packed in the RV and we had some great times together just as you are experiencing now.

Unfortunately, I did not really have a decent camera and have few pictures of our travels ; however, we have many wonderful memories.

Thanks for the tip on Glen Moss Falls. I’ll try to get there along with Montour Falls. Tom Hamilton gave me a couple of tips on waterfalls in Montour Falls that I hope to see.

Finally, I have to ask; have you watched Robin Williams movie RV? Karen and I howled with laughter all through the movie. If you have not seen it, you must try to find it. I’m sure that you will love it.

Safe travels!

Hi Tom.

Thanks for the tips about Montour Falls. I think Sha-Qua-Ga Falls is the one that looks like it could flow down through the town. I’ve been threatening to go there for a few years and hope to get up there this year. I also want to go through Watkins Glenn State Park as you have. Your first waterfall shot was on the Gorge trail and looks fantastic!

I’ve been to the Finger Lakes area once, Ithaca, and up the west side of Cayuga Lake. The area is beautiful as you said.

So, I’m going to try and make it this year.

Thanks for your tips and beautiful shots.

On 1/23/2023 at 6:40 PM, mickeysimpson said:

Hi Mark.

You’ve brought back many fond memories for me with your photography and comments about your travels. We had a 37’ Winnebago and most of our travels were on the east coast. We did not get as much time on the road as you, but we managed to get around to places other than New Jersey, where we live.

We’ve RV’d to Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine Michigan, Iowa, and Canadian Provinces Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. We started RVing with a mini-van dingy and later a Jeep Grand Cherokee. While living in Washington and Idaho we traveled (by car) to Oregon, British Columbia, Alberta. On our 30th anniversary we flew into Calgary and drove through Banff and Jasper National Parks including Lake Louise. We absolutely loved the Canadian Rockies.

Most of the time it was my wife Karen, our three daughters and frequently Karen’s Mom and Dad joined in. All of us packed in the RV and we had some great times together just as you are experiencing now.

Unfortunately, I did not really have a decent camera and have few pictures of our travels ; however, we have many wonderful memories.

Thanks for the tip on Glen Moss Falls. I’ll try to get there along with Montour Falls. Tom Hamilton gave me a couple of tips on waterfalls in Montour Falls that I hope to see.

Finally, I have to ask; have you watched Robin Williams movie RV? Karen and I howled with laughter all through the movie. If you have not seen it, you must try to find it. I’m sure that you will love it.

Safe travels!

Hi Micky, sorry taking 4 days delay, I just saw this message. Sounds like we travel some of the same highways. My home is in Bucks County, PA. We put about 20,000 miles back and fourth on this 2002 Newmar Mountain Aire Class A. 36'10" long, and towing. Currently in my third trip to in California. I have spent many months in the RV in Maine. One trip to the Cape May NJ KOA. We aren't full time, do about 9 to 10 months on the road. Hoping to sell the home in PA and buy a place in California, near the Ocean. 

My list:

PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, MASSACHUSETTS,  NH, MAINE, MARYLAND, WV, VA, TN, AK, OKLAHOMA, TEXAS, NEW MEXICO, ARIZONA, CALIFORNIA, NEVADA, COLORADO, OREGON, IDAHO, KANSAS, WYOMING, MONTANA, NEBRASKA, INDIANA, NEVADA,  SOUTH DAKOTA, MINNESOTA, WISCONSIN, ILLINOIS, IOWA, INDIANA, MISSOURI, MICHIGAN, OHIO, traveled a lot of crappy highways. Seeing places I may never see again. We have not driven the Southern States, Georga, Florida, New Orleans, Louisiana, Not sure if we drove through edges of Kentucky and Washigton or Vermont.

Yes we watched that movie. Good stuff. Crazy driving scenes. Had us laughing. 

Cheers, Mark