How many rolls for a batch of developer?

I've been using Ilford DD-X (1:4) with Kentmere 400 as I get back into the world of film, but I didn't have a ton of experience with all of this years ago.  I usually develop two rolls of 35mm in a stainless tank, and then throw out that batch of developer.  But occasionally I'll shoot a roll of 120 or some other type of 35mm b&w.  

I have re-used the developer for a third roll of 35mm done right after the first two and everything worked fine.  Right now I've got two rolls of Tri-X 35mm, one Foma 400 120 and an HP5+ 120, so I'll develop them in three batches in a two-reel tank.  Can I use the same 1:4 batch of DD-X for all four rolls developed all in the same day (so storage times aren't relevant)?  I have read about increasing development time 10% for additional rolls but I'm wondering if that's a myth or solid advice.  I do have some old powder D-76 included with a box of darkroom stuff bought recently, so I'm wondering how this works for other developers too.  Yes, I'm an admitted cheapskate... 

Have to agree. If you want consistency, use once and dump. Somewhere in the manufacturer's literature there should be the number of square inches of film a given amount of developer can develop, but I only worry about having enough, not maximizing it. Time and film are way more expensive than developer.

• Like 1

The official Ilford data sheet is here:

https://www.ilfordphoto.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/ILFOTEC-DDX-AUG19.pdf

As above, they recommend one-shot use, but allow for up to 10 rolls (135-36 or 120)

per litre of diluted developer, with increased times for later rolls. 

That would allow for 2.5 rolls for 250ml, or 5 rolls for 500ml.

So, if you do two rolls of 135-36 in 500ml, that counts as four rolls/L.

According to Ilford, you could do another roll at 40% longer time.

I would do one roll per 250ml, or two rolls per 500ml.

That is, two rolls of 120 in 500ml, with 20% more time for the second roll.

Doing a 120 roll and two 135-36 rolls, it might be better to do the 120

roll first, and then the two 135-36 rolls at 20% longer time.

Much of the development is done in the first minute, so starting

the second batch with stronger developer helps.

-- glen