How to make Hypo Wash Aid?

Hello,

Need help in understand on how to make Hypo Clearing Wash Aid. I have attached a screen shot of recipe and need help to understand what does two red circled water quantities mean. 

it says 750ml water to use then at the end stats “ cold water to make 1 liter”. A bit confusing to me. Why two different quantities of water are mentioned. Thanks in advance.

6471E1A2-5D1F-4AAB-B634-AAE7D55A0337.jpeg

The idea is to get 125 g of salts dissolved in exactly 1 litre of solution. If you start out with 1 litre of water and add salts to it, then the final amount of solution would be greater than 1 litre. 

Not that it matters much for something like a hypo-clear solution. It's not that critical what the final dilution is.

Any particular reason to use hypo clear, rather than 6 to 8 changes of plain water? Because I've never used the stuff and have negatives dating back nearly 60 years that are still in perfect condition. 

I go with Joe on this one. Google "Ilford Archival Wash". I started using the (6), 5 minute wash routine while at Brook's in the late 60's and non of my negatives from that time on have shown hypo residue staining.  I did use hypo wash / eliminator with paper based prints when large volumes of water for washing were not available.

Aloha,  Bill

On 1/2/2023 at 8:34 AM, 808 Photog said:

I go with Joe on this one. Google "Ilford Archival Wash". I started using the (6), 5 minute wash routine while at Brook's in the late 60's and non of my negatives from that time on have shown hypo residue staining.  I did use hypo wash / eliminator with paper based prints when large volumes of water for washing were not available.

Aloha,  Bill

I bought a bag of Kodak's version, which is probably cheaper than making your own, unless you own a chemistry lab.

But for film or RC prints, and with rapid fixer without hardener, not much reason to use it, so I never mixed it up.

I do have some non-RC paper, though, and if I use that, I might use the HCA.

One thing that I was never sure of, was how long HCA lasts.  

I also have some part used bottles of Perma-Wash.

Theoretically, sulfite can oxidize to sulfate, but I don't know how fast it does that.

-- glen