PN Migration -- OK, I surrender

mickeysimpson

3 minutes ago, marc epstein said:

Doesn’t make a lot of sense that PN is not responding.

While it’s a shame, it actually does make sense … because there’s no one there to respond. A relaunch was done and then PN was abandoned. That’s it. 

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Just now, marc epstein said:

Doesn’t someone have to pay the electric bill?

You can keep having expectations and keep asking questions if you want. Or not. If you feel that having expectations and asking questions is serving you well, continue to do that. But here’s a thought …

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. 

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

On 12/30/2022 at 6:32 PM, Sandy Vongries said:

It is what it is, until it is something different or is gone.  Suggest taking advantage of what there is or deciding to make other choices.  

Sadly what it is isn't much any more. I learned a lot here over the years, and have been hopeful that it might survive and even prosper after the recent changes. I'm no longer optimistic - but would miss seeing the contributions of many of you if it shuts down.

Just about everything has already been said. Just to summarize my 2 cts:

- PN was IMHO just a very tiny asset/liability far outside the main portfolio of 'Creative Live' (which invested nothing in PN), which was bought up by Fiverr. In terms of Creative Live - and especially Fiverr - PN brings in next to nothing in income but adds (marginal) costs to maintain.

- The previous version of the PN website was technically 'broken and outdated' and became impossible to maintain

- Very few people at Creative Live/Fiverr were interested in migrating PN to a new platform; Matt Jensen was an exception.

- There is no longer a 'PN team' (or any appointed administrators); unsurprising, given the very limited 'business value' of PN to either Creative Live or Fiverr

- The Invision platform is designed as a 'forum' but not as a 'photography website' with features as 'personal galleries'. Limited 'Gallery' functions are available.

- To re-create the 'old'  PN experience w.r.t. photos on the Invision platform, significant investment would IMHO be required. Both in in terms of development (customization) and in terms of maintenance of the customized website. 

- Why would any owner/investor invest in customization of a website for which operating costs exceed income?

So, to my mind there are two different perspectives on the transition from the 'old' PN to the 'new' PN:

- the first is to note (and complain about) things you miss about the 'old PN' on the 'new PM'; especially things that are not (yet ?) working as they should and missing features such as personal photo galleries

- The second is to just to be grateful for the (updated) PN site that we now have (with all its deficiencies). In the hope that things will get better.

Mike

• Like 2