Following the posts by several others re: Foto-Impex (based in

Germany) and Efke film, I recently ordered some PL 100 4x5 b&w sheet

film over the internet. It arrived today, but I am a bit concerned

that it has "Develop before 210584" stamped on the back. This means

21st May 1984, surely?! I just wondered if anyone else has had a

similar experience with Foto-Impex. I have emailed them about this,

but they haven't replied yet. I'm half expecting them to tell me

that it has come out of a freezer, but I still don't think it very

acceptable. Just wondered if anyone had any observations....

Regards,

Neil.

2105 Isn't that more likely the year; otherwise, I expect it is part

of the emulsion number. I have never seen any sensitized material be

so explicit as to name a DAY of expiration, so what 84 stands for

eludes me. Fomapan uses a III.2005 type of nomenclature and B&G NP

film a 7/2005 type for whomever is interested. And I think I have a

package of AZO from 1940 somewhere! I'm sure it's good film. GOOD

LUCK...

Thinking back, there are two easy ways to tell:

1) Look at the country of origin on the box. If it says Yugoslavia or anything other than Crotia then you might be right.

2) EFKE boxes were a rather stodgy solid green 20 years ago.

In any event they are a very reputable dealer and iwould guess it is current dated.

Well, doing a quick search on German date formats, I find no real surprises. There are several different ways to write the date, but the ONLY one that fits your example is to take the year as 1984. I would guess it's some sort of typo, rather than 19 year-old film. What is the return policy? Certainly, if they don't have some very good explanations, it appears they have sold you expired film. It would not be at all unreasonable to return it and request current film. Offering to do so is much more like to get an explanation than just asking for an explanation.

By the way, does the box LOOK old? If it has been sitting around for 20 years, I would think the box would show it!

Well, the box doesn't look old - looks quite new, in fact. It is white with a green label and has "Zagreb - Croatia" typed on the front. I tend to agree - now - with the last post, that it is probably a typo. Maybe it is an emulsion number, but it has been placed in the "develop before" area. I agree with a previous poster that using a day as well as a month in the expiry date is a bit too explicit. Oh well, wonder what Foto Impex will say...?

<p>Neil, box of film you got isn't the newest one. Fotokemika moved from Zagreb to Samobor few years ago so the last boxes are labeled "Samobor - Croatia". (Samobor is one nice small medieval and baroque town 20 km from Zagreb... pretty place to rest for a while... as Fotokemika is resting right now:))<br>

On my boxes from days when Fotokemika was in Zagreb, "Develop before" is marked yyyy-m and yyyy-mm (like 2002-4 meaning April, and 2001-11 meaning november). On the last box I bought (few months ago) date is in format: MM-YYYY.<br>

At least, that is how Fotokemika is labeling boxes for Croatian market.</p>

<p>Janko</p>

The last roll of EFKE R17 I used (old names) expired in 1993 - but you couldn't tell the difference between this roll and the one I actually used and developed in 1992. I used the film this summer after keeping it as a "backup" in my camera case for several years, and in the fridge the last three. I brought it out again as a backup - and needed it.

<p>Niel, I'm now back at home so I have seen my boxes of Efke film: the number which is on

your box isn't "end-date" but emulsion number. My last box (develop before 2004-2) have

Em. No. 210579, if you want, I can call Fotokemika and ask when your box have been

produced and what is his expiration date.<br>

Janko</p>

Thanks everyone - for the laughs as well as the advice, especially Janko. I have had a message from Foto Impex that explains it all to me. There is a number under the "emulsion type" area, but it is not the emulsion type number, it is the number of the label itself. There is also a number under the "develop before" area, but this is not the develop before date - it is the emulsion number. There is no longer any develop before info on the label. Foto Impex say that EU laws do not demand an expiry date, so they no longer print one, although they used to. The emulsion type number has gravitated over to the develop before side of the label, hence the confusion. I'm not sure if I follow all that myself, but there it is, hot from Foto Impex.

Regards, Neil.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
I am looking at current 127 size green boxes of Efke R-100 (Croatia, Samobor) film "R-100" and also at black MACOPHOT UP 100. Both appear to have passed thru Efke as both have the same plastic spools with brass winding slots on one side. MACO says "develop before 2006-9" and has "Charge" # 210573. The Efke says " develop before 2005-9" and has emulsion number 210561. Both are stamped with what appears to be the same stamp machine. Trouble is, the spools are too wide for my baby Rollei's and no one else seems to be making 127 film now. Somehow this problem needs to get the the factory, but I have not been able to through US firms selling the film or through Mahn, the German company selling MACO film. HELP!