Is all the old info lost on here?

I searched for ascorbate, dates 2000 to 2010, got the reply "no results for your search".

I am pretty sure there was a lot of discussion of ascorbate developers during that time, eg  Xtol came out in 1998 and Patrick Gainer posted a lot. Am I searching in the wrong way or has all this info been lost?

Thanks.

Here's my Phenidone-Ascorbate substitute for D-76:

Ascorbic Acid ............... 10 gm

Phenidone.................... 0.25 gm

Sodium Hydroxide......... 19 gm

Sodium metabisulphite... 40 gm

Borax........................... 2 gm

Water to make............... 1 litre

Dissolve in the above order, otherwise there's a danger of sulphur dioxide gas being generated from mixing ascorbic acid and sodium metabisulphite. And you don't want to be inhaling SO2 gas, especially if you're asthmatic! 

Use undiluted. Developing times and results are practically identical to D76/ID-11. The developer can be re-used like D76 for about 6 films/litre by extending the developing time for each film by 10%.

The comparatively large amount of sodium hydroxide is needed to convert the Ascorbic acid to sodium Ascorbate, and to turn the sodium metabisulphite into sodium sulphite. Vitamin C powder as ascorbic acid, and sodium metabisulphite both being easier to obtain. 

Unfortunately, our daft 'betters' have banned the retail sale of borax in Europe. Although it's still available online.

FWIW, I did (eventually) find this formula in a previous post of mine, using the PN search engine. 

Putting search phrases in inverted commas seems to work. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1

On 12/20/2022 at 4:05 AM, Alan Johnson said:

I searched for ascorbate, dates 2000 to 2010, got the reply "no results for your search".

I am pretty sure there was a lot of discussion of ascorbate developers during that time, eg  Xtol came out in 1998 and Patrick Gainer posted a lot. Am I searching in the wrong way or has all this info been lost?

Thanks.

Not sure how much detail the Internet Archives retains, but look up PN in that year and see if there is a snap shot.

Cheers, Mark

Old Photo.net forum post links had http:// instead of https:// prefixes and you'll  have to 'adjust' the prefix to load the post.

The inadequacy of the 'search' function on P.net has been manifest as long as I've been coming here, so it's not something limited to the NEW p.net

Edited by JDMvW