Well, it's not a Gitzo...

hjoseph7

Well,  it's not a Gitzo...  it's a Benro

About 10-15 years ago, (I don't remember), I purchased my first Carbon Fiber Tripod, a Benro C-198 M8. B&H was having a promotional sale on Benro Tripods and this tripod was selling for about $180.  Not bad because back then, prices for Carbon Fiber tripods were through the roof !

B&H claimed that Benro was not a cheap chinese knock-off.  According to B&H, the founder and co-cofounder had both worked at Gitzo, so they had knowledge of the manufacturing process. I had my doubts, but for $180 you got a carrying case, 3 center columns long, short and super short, spiked feet as well as rubber feet, plus the head on the Benro C-198 allowed you to place the center column in a vertical and horizontal position, so I took a chance...

I only started really using it on a constant basis around a year ago, due to the fact that it is very light and compact making it easy to carry. It also has a small foot-print which allowed me to squeeze into tight spots when I had to. Despite what people said about how strong & sturdy Carbon Fiber is, I felt more comfortable carrying my somewhat heavy aluminum tripod. To me, the Benro seemed a little "dainty" and I doubted if it could hold up to the rough and tumble treatment tripods usually get in a commercial photography environment. 

Yesterday my hunches were confirmed. I was on a muddy hill trying to take an exterior picture of a property, but my Tripod kept sinking into the mud, so I could not get a steady shot. Finally, I said 'forget this' and decided to remove the camera from the Tripod to try to get a Hand-held shot.

I dropped the tripod to the ground in my haste, but being that I was standing on a muddy hill, I din't think it would get damaged. Right ? Wrong ! When I took the tripod back inside, I noticed that the head, the part that holds the center column to the body and legs was broken. This head looks and feels like real metal, but apparently it's something else, or it wouldn't have broken so easy.

I tried calling Benro at their USA office but as usual I got a recording saying "Please leave a message".  Instead of leaving a message, I sent an email with pictures of the damged part, but so far I have not received an answer. 

The advice I got concerning Tripods is spend as much as you can then you can forget about it. That is some pretty good advice since I've gone through 3 cheapo tripods already when used on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I don't have the $700+ to spend on a Gitzo and if I did, I would probably wind up spending it on something else. I wonder if that extra amount of money would really make a difference when it comes to durabilty ? 

ben4_2.jpg

ben2_2.jpg

That sucks, and reminds me of a recent blog post at "The Online Photographer"

https://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2022/12/seven-the-twelve-links-of-christmas-2022-the-tripod-is-a-solved-problem.html

The Gitzo looks and probably is cool, but there is no way I will drop $1000 on a Mountaineer (plus the additional cost for the appropriate head).
However, if I used a tripod for most of my photos I may prioritise differently.

As noted in the featured comments to the above article, my ancient SLIK Master aluminium tripod is still going strong and I would probably buy another should my current fail.

• Like 1
Niels

Gitzo and Manfrotto are now part of the same group apparently. I've always found Manfrotto 'pods to be a good compromise between price and build-quality/design. They also supply a good range of spares at a reasonable price. 

Gitzo? Not convinced they're worth the money. I have a Gitzo medium-sized tripod and a monopod, both bought used at very affordable prices.

The rubber grips that Gitzo used to use on the leg-locking collars were total rubbish for such a 'prestige' item and seemed to perish or become loose quite quickly. Replacement with Neoprene strips held on with double-sided tape is a definite and cheap upgrade that really shouldn't have been necessary. 

I really like the monopod after the grips were sorted. The tripod I'm not so fond of. It's sturdy enough, but at a horrible cost in weight, and quite slow to set up. 

Anyhow. My recommendation would be to look at a used tripod from Manfrotto - not a recent model with plastic parts though. Old tripods just don't keep their value and can be got very cheaply from non-photographic dealers or private sales. 

Just a few weeks ago I saw a mint looking Benro (Benbo knockoff) for only £10 = about 12 US bucks - at a car-boot sale. 

On 12/17/2022 at 8:30 AM, rodeo_joe1 said:

Gitzo and Manfrotto are now part of the same group apparently. I've always found Manfrotto 'pods to be a good compromise between price and build-quality/design. They also supply a good range of spares at a reasonable price. 

Gitzo? Not convinced they're worth the money. I have a Gitzo medium-sized tripod and a monopod, both bought used at very affordable prices.

The rubber grips that Gitzo used to use on the leg-locking collars were total rubbish for such a 'prestige' item and seemed to perish or become loose quite quickly. Replacement with Neoprene strips held on with double-sided tape is a definite and cheap upgrade that really shouldn't have been necessary. 

I really like the monopod after the grips were sorted. The tripod I'm not so fond of. It's sturdy enough, but at a horrible cost in weight, and quite slow to set up. 

Anyhow. My recommendation would be to look at a used tripod from Manfrotto - not a recent model with plastic parts though. Old tripods just don't keep their value and can be got very cheaply from non-photographic dealers or private sales. 

Just a few weeks ago I saw a mint looking Benro (Benbo knockoff) for only £10 = about 12 US bucks - at a car-boot sale. 

I was doing some window shopping on eBay for a new CF Tripod, although I have an aluminum Slik tripod as a back up that I can use.  I came across a Benro CF tripod with Head for $114, but I didn't bid on it and kept window shopping. I did Google the model #, so I could try to get the Specs on it. 

While searching for the Specs, I clicked on a Page listing the same exact model # selling for only $18.95.  Unfortunately, that's when I noticed that the pictures for this item looked eerily similar to the pictures for the same item on eBay ? Actually they were exactly the same ! I contacted the seller for this item to ask him if the price of $18.95 was correct. Then I contacted the seller on ebay to ask him what was the maximum height of this tripod, since i could not find the Specs. I have not heard from neither seller.    

Edited by hjoseph7

15 hours ago, Gerald Cafferty said:

Benbo is a long standing manufacturer of Tripods in The UK. Benro is a Chinese manufacturer of tripods, I can't help thinking the similarly in names is not a coincidence.     

No it's not. Benro's first product, AFAIK, was a direct copy of the Benbo. Almost indistinguishable, except the Benro seemed a bit lighter to me when I handled one in a shop - that was obviously back in the days when every high Street had at least one photographic dealer. 

I bought my Benbo many years before that. A genius design that can get a camera in almost any position.... eventually. I wouldn't use it as my only means of camera support, but when it's needed, it's really needed. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1
  • Like 1

Benro-Parts sent me an email that said "we no longer support that product" . They did send me a link to a website that sells discounted Benro products. This company(Benro) changes models like shoe-makers change styles every season. They have so many different models, that it's hard to keep up and hard to find an exact replacement on the used market.  What I'm thinking about doing is, finding a similar Used model made in aluminum, since they are cheaper and screwing my Carbon Fiber legs on it since they are still in good shape.  Regardless, I'm done with Benro !  

Edited by hjoseph7

I found a Small-Rig Travel tripod on eBay for $60. The thing is made from Aluminum, but weighs less than 3lbs. It's about as light as my Benro Carbon Fiber, but it has 33lb load Max !  Ths tripod is very well engineered and has some neat features, but I don't think it's suitable for Heavy-Duty, every day work. I'll keep it as a back up, or for travel. I'll have to keep using my old Slik aluminum, 'heavy' tripod for now. Due to it's stability, I'm getting much better results now !  

Edited by hjoseph7

Whether a Gitzo tripod would have broken the same way after an identical fall has not been tested, so your reaction to Benro’s demise is not necessarily justified. I would not spend for a Gitzo or a RRS when there are so many excellent Asian made rivals. Once this was not the case but it is now. I also happen to like Manfrotto, although some people dislike their often slightly different look compared to most other tripods.

Robin Smith

Really Right Stuff tripods are similar in cost to Gitzo, but the metal parts are machined from solid aluminum, not a casting. From an engineering point of view, I expect it to be much more durable than a casting, less likely to fracture. The sticks are somewhat thinner but larger in diameter, which lends greater stiffness at the same weight. Carbon fiber won't dent, but can be split or crushed. Not a problem for me, so far. CF is as stiff as the next size larger aluminum tripod, and dampens vibrations more quickly. That's important for long exposures, or use of long lenses outdoors.

Gitzo uses injection molding for its cast parts, compared to ordinary core molding by Manfrotto. Gitzo cast parts are thinner in section, but with superior grain structure, for better strength and lighter weight. The leg joints are machined and threaded from bar stock. I've suffered several broken leg joints in Manfrotto tripods and stands, but none from Gitzo or RRS.

I recently purchased a SmallRig dual-stick video tripod, and an heavier one from Benro. Stiffness is paramount, size and weight secondary for this application. A mid-level spreader allows the tripod to be moved without re-leveling - a major plus compared to a typical photo tripod. We'll see how they hold up in daily use. Neither jiggles much with a 600 mm lens.

I bought an Induro CT-303 last year, and I've been extremely pleased with it.  It's lightweight and sturdy.  I was a bit surprised that the Induro name is now listed as Benro.  Now, whether they've always been owned by Benro is unknown to me.  I also own a Manfrotto MT055XPRO3 CF.  It's really sturdy (capacity is 20lb), although it doesn't have the weight capacity (44lb) as the Induro.  I also own a Gitzo GT1540G, which I picked up at an estate sale, along with a GH1780QR Gitzo head.  The Gitzo is a 4-section, but serves me well when I need really light weight.

I noticed that on B&H, the now Benro model goes for @ 475, which is some $27 cheaper than when I bought the same tripod as an Induro.

Induro and Benro are made by the same company, but the Induro line is being phased out. The US distributor (Mac Group) originally said Induro was their premium line, but I don't know if it was made to any higher standards.  Carbon fiber (depending on fiber weave of  the tube) is usually stiffer and lighter weight  than similar diameter  aluminum but its stiffness makes it more prone to impact damage and fracture.  I have seen a few broken  carbon fiber legs, no broken aluminum legs. Leg joints of modern Gitzos are strong, but I suspect the carbon fiber legs are just as prone to breakage as Induro. .Carbon fiber legs when severely abraded ( scraped, exposing below surface) are significantly weakened and can split ( like carbon fiber skis).  Aluminum is heavier but more rugged  and only slightly  less stif ( if adequate diameter).

• 4 weeks later...

I own an Induro (now Benro) CT-303 which came via B&H in mid-2022.  At about the same time, I sold off all but three aluminum tripods, mostly for sentimental reasons.  I kept a Slik Master 67 prototype.  I altered it by removing the head and adding a Bogen plate to accept interchangeable heads, and added a set of Bogen spike feet.  I still use it when I don't have to hike any distance.  The other two, a Vivitar 1321 and a Leitz Tiltall, are still very reliable, and not all that heavy.  My other two CF's, a Manfrotto 055, and a Gitzo GT1540G both get a lot of use.  I prefer 3-section tripods mostly because they tend to be a bit more stable than 4-section, although the Gitzo Gt1540G is an exception, but I got it for a song at an estate sale.

I use Manfrotto heads exclusively.  I started out with 4047's, and now I've switched over to MHX-3 Pro heads with Arca Swiss adapters.  I'm not a fan of ball heads, regardless the brand, and I've tried most of them.

The Induro is a great piece of equipment, and I've used it in all kinds of summer rains, winter snows, and sub-zero temperatures.  It's load capacity is @ 44lbs, and I've used camera bags as ballast.

• 2 weeks later...

All stiff carbon fiber tripod legs are inherently more prone to fracture ( break) on impact than the same impact pressure on aluminum tripod legs, which may dent on impact.  Whether the lighter , stiffer carbon fiber is  an advantage over the 1/3 heavier aluminum tripod legs is an individual choice.  Personally , I have and use both depending in circumstances. When not far from the car, aluminum is fine.  For longer walks ( no more backpacking hikes for me)carbon fiber. I find flip locks faster, more reliable than the twist locks.

Stan

A

On 12/31/2022 at 7:26 AM, hjoseph7 said:

I found a Small-Rig Travel tripod on eBay for $60. The thing is made from Aluminum, but weighs less than 3lbs. It's about as light as my Benro Carbon Fiber, but it has 33lb load Max !  Ths tripod is very well engineered and has some neat features, but I don't think it's suitable for Heavy-Duty, every day work. I'll keep it as a back up, or for travel. I'll have to keep using my old Slik aluminum, 'heavy' tripod for now. Due to it's stability, I'm getting much better results now !  

Wow, the Small-Rig tripod is much worse than I thought. I had to keep a screw-driver and allen wrench in my pocket at all times because the screws kept unscrewing while walking. There was some type of plastic grip on the top of the center column that I guess is supposed to make tightening a pan Head, or ball Head much easier, but it actually made things worse. The ball-head would start wobbling after making the slightest change in camera direction.  I removed that plastic grip and just screwed the ball-head to the center column which improved things a little bit .

The center column itself is broken down into two parts each with its own twist-lock. So if you need extra height  you might have to engage both twist-locks. Unfortunately the twist-locks are so stiff that I winded up stripping the rubber from the bottom twist-lock. Its stll usable, but it just makes it harder to turn. Even when you think you have tightened the twist-locks enough to hold the camera and lens, right before you are about to hit the shuter button, the camera and lens start to make their slow descent downwards. Now you have to give those locks another extra twist without breaking your finger nails ! 

I also had to be extra careful with the plastic clips on the legs, because I read on some of the Reviews that they can easily snap off. Not surprising as flimsy as they look.  This is a three part tripod that was designed to be no more than 2 feet folded up. The only problem with that is that the bottom legs are 'drinking-straw' thin. I seriously doubt this tripod can handle 33 pounds as advertised, not with those legs. Good thing my Used Slik 500 HD tripod from the 1990's came in the mail today. It is all aluminum and kind of bulky, however I feel relieved because it's also rock solid. They don't make them like they used to.   

Edited by hjoseph7
  • Like 1

Bad luck HJ! 

I can't remember buying a tripod brand new, apart from when I was in my teens a bought a cheap Slik that practically fell apart on me after a couple of years use. Hence my negative disposition toward the brand. 

Ever since I've bought used tripods, none of which have cost a fortune; and I've had several Gitzos and a Linhof pass through my hands (The Linhof looked flimsy but performed very well - I regret selling it). They've all been fairly substantial aluminium jobs, and it's only recently that I'm feeling the strain of carrying one. 

Having looked at recent new options, I'm pretty appalled at the amount of plastic used, and at obvious potential failure points. Even more appalled at the stupid prices asked. 

So I think your choice of a used older model is very sensible.... but anything carrying the Slik brand name wouldn't be on my shopping list I'm afraid. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1

"So I think your choice of a used older model is very sensible.... but anything carrying the Slik brand name wouldn't be on my shopping list I'm afraid. "

Actually my first semi-pro Tripod was the Slik 500 DX  https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/580557-REG/Slik_615_324_500DX_Pro_Tripod_Legs.html

When I purchased it, I didn't know what to look for in Tripods. I just wanted to get rid of my eBay-special tripod that could only hold about 2 pounds. I rarely used it until I started shooting Marathon races several years later and that's when one of the legs fell off during a shoot for no reason ! I then started looking at other tripods, but the prices turned me off. I actually purchased a Used Gitzo from eBay, but that thing was a Monster. It was extremely heavy and had an unwieldly head, it was made in the 1960's. I finally put it back on the market and that's around the time I purchased a Benro Carbon Fibre which was on sale at the time. This is the one that broke when it fell on some mud a few months ago. 

By then I had accumulated a few Slik Ball-heads, 3  in total, plus I purchased the 700 DX which is Slik's tallest tripod(great for 6+ foot models ?). That thing rises to 72+ inches, but is very heavy, so I rarely use it. I tried my best to fix the 500 DX and was even thinking about welding the leg to the body. Apparently the little plastic 'thingy' that keeps the legs from falling off the body had broken which compromised the entire leg. (not sure why they could not find a better alternative ?). Slik no longer sold the part.

Resigned that my $150 investment had gone down the drain, I rationalized that maybe I had purchased a Lemon. I began looking for another 500 DX on eBay and that's when I ran into the 500 HD which is actually an older model. I figured I would give it a chance, since it sold for only $30 plus shipping. To my surprise, the 500 HD was more robust and better built than the 500 DX. It was a little on the heavy side,  but at this point I didn't really care.  I figured I could always use the Benro Carbon Fibre for long treks. 

I used the 500 HD on the job for about 2 months (before it got stolen) without any incidents. The foot print was wider than my CF Benro which is another point against it, but I noticed that my pictures looked more symetrical, the lines a little straighter. This was probably due to the stability of the Tripod. Who knows if this replacement will not dissapoint me ? So far it behaves just like my old one. I have yet to try it out in the field though.