How long shoud my camera's bellow be?

zalantoth

Hey!

I'm building a 6x17 3D printable view camera. Which will be purchasable.

I have a Schneider Symmar S 150mm f5.6 lens, however I don't know how long the bellow should be. I've heard that it should be long enough to be able to focus to the infinity with the lens, but again I don't know how far it is from the film. 

So, can anyone help me?

• 1 month later...

If you make it 300mm, your 150mm lens will, if I remember correctly, will be able to focus to 1:1 for close up photography.  The lens that you are using is not a true telephoto design so infinity should be at about 150mm from the film plane. Longer to focus closer.  

Are you only designing for this lens?

If you are constructing it for others, your lens doesn't matter. 

• Offer some bag bellows option, to gomwith wides, from 9 to at leas 18 cm.
  • Offer some rail extension for a slightly longer lens, like a 355mm that folks might have laying around. Dunno if 1:1 is totally needed for such but draw for1:2 seems nice to have?

On 2/3/2023 at 10:14 PM, Dustin McAmera said:

If the OP couldn't find something this basic out by their own effort, it seems to me they may not be the best person to design a camera. 😼

I had the same thought, but nearly bit my tongue right off resisting the urge to say it! 😇

Totally off topic - anyone else think that the selection of emojis we're offered here is a bit weird? Most of them need a sub-title.