Wildlife/Trail Camera Recommendations

Deon Reynolds

I have purchased several wildlife cams the first one lasted six months but the quality was very poor. Second camera lasted two uses, third camera (48 MP) has such low image quality I simply can't use it. One thing I have found with wildlife / trail cameras is that they all lie about Mega Pixel size. I purchased two that say on the box 24Mp but when you read the fine print in the instruction manual it says it's an 8Mp sensor interpolated to 24Mp. And, literally I turned the Mp down to 8 and there is no difference at 24Mp, just a bigger file size.

Anyone have any recommendations of a quality wildlife camera? I don't need or even want big files, lens quality would be helpful.

Thanks, Deon

I have a TOGUARD H45 that's been performing ok for the few years since I bought it. It takes a mini SD card which is fiddly so the next camera will have a normal size card. I think there's cameras now that have blacked out infrared light, mine is red in color, and while it doesn't seem to bother the wildlife, they still look at it. Another thing to be aware of is the clock in those cameras can run either slow or fast. It needs to be checked and adjusted with each use of the camera so it starts and finishes when you want it to.

Edited by kmac
  • Like 1

To the OP, it would be very helpful if you could tell us some more information about those several cameras you purchased in the last 6 months. Exactly which models are those and why each one of them doesn't meet your needs.

For your next camera, it would be good to know what subjects you are trying to capture, what your budget is, and how much weight you are willing to carry.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShunCheung said:

To the OP, it would be very helpful if you could tell us some more information about those several cameras you purchased in the last 6 months. Exactly which models are those and why each one of them doesn't meet your needs.

For your next camera, it would be good to know what subjects you are trying to capture, what your budget is, and how much weight you are willing to carry.

Sorry, The first two cameras were JOH M1's 24Mp 1080p video water proof 50 foot IR flash 50 foot trigger. The first one lasted six months and quit, they sent me another one under warranty. It lasted two uses, don't want another one. The third one was a Lanmodo TC4K is 48 Mp water proof 100 foot IF flash and 100 foot trigger. All of these cameras are pure garbage! 48Mp is a joke, I've seen better images from a 4Mp camera. These all had 4 or 5 stare ratings on Amazon...

This is the TOGUARD H45 that I have and the only problems with it have been because of human error. This same camera today is upgraded to 20MP. Mine is the earlier one, 14MP, but I use only the 8MP setting, and the sensitivity on "High" if there's no gusty breeze blowing. The power switch must be OFF when the camera is not in use, otherwise the batteries drain very quickly, twice I forgot and paid the price. It can sense moving vehicles, day and night, 100 yards away and will take a photo or video. But that 100 yards is not advertised, it's just what I've learned the camera can do. 

https://marcoscucom.wordpress.com/2018/03/30/toguard-h45-trail-camera-14mp-1080p/

• Like 1

I have 3 wildlife/trail cams. I don't recall the all models but the brands are Reconyx Ultrafire, Moultrie M50i and Browning DarkOps. Read the details about "resolution" since many cams report "interpolated" resolution. Also look for trigger delay - the shorter the better in general otherwise you may miss your subject. Do you want infrared capability? If so does the camera offer "invisible" ir flash to avoid spooking the subject?

I am resonably happy with the quality of the Rconyx although triggering can be an issue.

If you want high quality images, i.e. like a DSLR or mirrorless camera can take, you might want to loo into camera traps where you actually use a DSLR/mirrless camera triggered by a motion sensor with external flashes, etc. Can be $$ but the quality will be better. Not sure how that would work if you want to take video, on the other hand.

RCNX0215 Fawn 1000 web.jpg

Red fox.jpg

• Like 2
Test

8 hours ago, Edwin Barkdoll said:

I have 3 wildlife/trail cams. I don't recall the all models but the brands are Reconyx Ultrafire, Moultrie M50i and Browning DarkOps. Read the details about "resolution" since many cams report "interpolated" resolution. Also look for trigger delay - the shorter the better in general otherwise you may miss your subject. Do you want infrared capability? If so does the camera offer "invisible" ir flash to avoid spooking the subject?

I am resonably happy with the quality of the Rconyx although triggering can be an issue.

If you want high quality images, i.e. like a DSLR or mirrorless camera can take, you might want to loo into camera traps where you actually use a DSLR/mirrless camera triggered by a motion sensor with external flashes, etc. Can be $$ but the quality will be better. Not sure how that would work if you want to take video, on the other hand.

RCNX0215 Fawn 1000 web.jpg

Red fox.jpg

Those are great, now that's the kind of quality I'm looking for. Thank you! I'm not interested in spending much on this kind of camera, as I don't need DSLR quality. The place we purchased is between two wildlife refuges to the north and south, BLM, then wilderness borders our property to the east and the Rio Grande runs through the neighbors property to the west. The last place we lived was way more remote, but this place has so much more wildlife. Very interested in what ventures through...

55 minutes ago, AlanKlein said:

Do these cameras get stolen? (by people,? by animals?) 

None of these were stolen, they quit working or were of such low quality I quit using it. I put one of the broken cameras (firmly attached) down at our gate, which is a quarter mile away from the house. Hoping to make people think before driving in. Our closest neighbour is a 90 year old retired police officer, he has lived here for 30 years, he says there has only been one crime on the road since he has lived here, people don't lock their houses and the keys are in the ignition...

5 minutes ago, Deon Reynolds said:

None of these were stolen, they quit working or were of such low quality I quit using it. I put one of the broken cameras (firmly attached) down at our gate, which is a quarter mile away from the house. Hoping to make people think before driving in. Our closest neighbour is a 90 year old retired police officer, he has lived here for 30 years, he says there has only been one crime on the road since he has lived here, people don't lock their houses and the keys are in the ignition...

Really?  What did you say your address is?

• Very Nice 1

9 hours ago, AlanKlein said:

Do these cameras get stolen? (by people,? by animals?) 

Not mine so far touch wood. But a possum used mine once as a step to get up into the tree. The video was great to watch, It was a flying leap with a joey on her back and a large carrot crossways in her mouth (I put food out to see which food different animals eat). Her feet hit the top of the camera and really jerked it good and proper. The straps need to be tight on these wildlife cameras ... actually they could do with two straps, one for the top, and one for the bottom. That would give them much more rigidity, to prevent them being moved out of position by strong gales or animals bumping them.

On 12/11/2022 at 10:30 PM, kmac said:

Not mine so far touch wood. But a possum used mine once as a step to get up into the tree. The video was great to watch, It was a flying leap with a joey on her back and a large carrot crossways in her mouth (I put food out to see which food different animals eat). Her feet hit the top of the camera and really jerked it good and proper. The straps need to be tight on these wildlife cameras ... actually they could do with two straps, one for the top, and one for the bottom. That would give them much more rigidity, to prevent them being moved out of position by strong gales or animals bumping them.

Couldn't you use elastic cord that can be wrapped around the tree and camera?