Shadows

Minox

I agree that this a great, well-composed, and interesting photo. I especially like the 'lines' of the windows' shadows in the foreground that lead up to the arcade's windows themselves. The photo - as is - looks completely natural.

Personally, my attention is immediately drawn to the high-contrast arcade windows (with their ornate decorations). Then I realize that the 'lines' in the foreground are shadows cast by the windows. Finally, I realize that the buildings left and right make a nice 'frame'.

You might want to consider slightly (artificially in PP) increasing the visual impact of the 'leading lines' by darkening the shadows and increasing the contrast. I stress 'slightly'!  But where you want viewers to focus their attention first is a matter of taste.

• 2 months later...
On 12/21/2022 at 9:22 AM, mikemorrellNL said:

I agree that this a great, well-composed, and interesting photo. I especially like the 'lines' of the windows' shadows in the foreground that lead up to the arcade's windows themselves. The photo - as is - looks completely natural.

Personally, my attention is immediately drawn to the high-contrast arcade windows (with their ornate decorations). Then I realize that the 'lines' in the foreground are shadows cast by the windows. Finally, I realize that the buildings left and right make a nice 'frame'.

You might want to consider slightly (artificially in PP) increasing the visual impact of the 'leading lines' by darkening the shadows and increasing the contrast. I stress 'slightly'!  But where you want viewers to focus their attention first is a matter of taste.

I agree with this assessment. One thing to also consider is a slight crop from the top which I think would strengthen the leading lines in the foreground. The light at the top is distracting and isn’t needed. IMHO. I like it overall. 

I love it as is. If it were mine, I'd raise the shadows on the side walls to reveal a bit more detail there and leave the shadows on the floor exactly where they're set. The composition is so strong that you have great flexibility with the levels.

• 2 weeks later...