Cheap and Basic Radio Triggers(or Pocket Wizards?)

ben_hutcherson

I've been using some ancient Quantum radio triggers for a while now, but for a couple of reasons they are becoming more and more difficult to keep going. My one hotshoe-equipped transmitter seems to have died, and they're big and heavy enough that I don't like dangling them by the PC cord.

I'm looking for something that I don't have a huge investment in for a specific project. I don't need fancy. I'm using this on my D850 with my Norman lights. I don't need TTL. I don't need 2-way communication. I quite literally need something that will take the flash fire signal from the hotshoe or PC socket and close the trigger on the Norman power pack(household, PC, whatever I can make it work) to fire them.

Everything I look at seems to have a bunch of superfluous features and many only seem to have a hotshoe on the slave. I guess I can make that work but I'd much rather have PC or some other proper sync port. It would be nice if long term I can tie multiple receivers to one transmitter(as I have several Norman power packs and every once in a great while will use multiple at the same time)

It seems Pocket Wizards will do what I want but I'm not overly inclined to spend ~$200...although I imagine the Quantums I've been using were that expensive if not more so and they have certainly worked well for a long time.

I'm reluctant to use optical slaves, although I have some. I don't like that the triggering flash can sometimes mess with the rest of the light I've set up, and also for my immediate time I may have spurious flashes from other people to deal with.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally I need to have these in hand middle of next week so I have time to play with them before the weekend. I'll do the Pocket Wizards if that's the best option.

image.thumb.jpeg.f5621a4b5da55427e49a4d94c3528bf1.jpeg

I bought this super cheap Neewer set for a non-critical one-off event maybe 4-5 years ago. They were advertised as working with Lumix cameras, but they didn't. I complained to Amazon, and they didn't even want to have them back (they were about €15 if I remember correctly - it would have cost them more to provide me with a shipping label from Denmark to Germany).

Later I got a Nikon Z6ii and I have used them several times - on that camera they work as advertised - they fire the flash - that is all.

One possible design flaw may be the lack of hot shoe on the transmitter, but it doesn't have to occupy the cameras hot shoe, there was a cable included that can connect from a pc sync to the trigger.

I am not sure I would trust them for a critical gig, but I also have optical triggered flashes I can use if they fail.

Don't know if they are still made.

[Edit: I just checked on Amazon.de and notice that they are still sold under a variety of names; EVTSCAN, Cuifati and more.]

Edited by NHSN
Niels

Thanks!

Just found and bought a set like yours with the same Neewer branding. They should be here Monday and I'll have time to test/play with them.

This isn't a paying job but a family event. Of course it's also the in-laws so that might be more critical than a paying customer 🙂 (if I even did paid work anymore-haven't since I was in college and don't want to).

I'm going over to their house on Wednesday to play with the light set-up, and I'll bring a small on-camera and optical trigger as a just-in-case.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ben_hutcherson said:

Thanks!

Just found and bought a set like yours with the same Neewer branding. They should be here Monday and I'll have time to test/play with them.

This isn't a paying job but a family event. Of course it's also the in-laws so that might be more critical than a paying customer 🙂 (if I even did paid work anymore-haven't since I was in college and don't want to).

I'm going over to their house on Wednesday to play with the light set-up, and I'll bring a small on-camera and optical trigger as a just-in-case.  

I have two sets of those, not Newer branded but exactly the same thing THEY WORK FINE. I have two sets so I can run the two triggers on two cameras Same frequency. So no need to change them over.

On 12/3/2022 at 3:26 PM, ben_hutcherson said:

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally I need to have these in hand middle of next week so I have time to play with them before the weekend. I'll do the Pocket Wizards if that's the best option.

Get a set of YongNuo RF-603 ii triggers Ben, you won't regret it. The PW transceivers are ridiculously priced, and in tests do no better for distance and reliability than far cheaper stuff. 

The YN RF-603s aren't the cheapest, but I've found them to be well-made, reliable, easy to use and have good battery life... provided you remember to turn 'em off after use of course. They're also powered by common AAA cells. 

One downside is that you need to get cables to fire studio strobes. They're only supplied with top and bottom hotshoes for camera/speedlight coupling, but there's a P-C outlet socket on one end. 

Another minor minus point is the rather obscure marking of the mode switch, and it's not clearly explained in the manual. The switch is marked "Off" (obvious), "TX" (=transmit, reasonably obvious) and "TRX" (???). The unit in the camera hotshoe needs to be set in the TX position, and the receivers attached to the strobes set to TRX. All the units are identical and can be used either as a transmitter or receiver. 

There's also the older RF-602, which has a dedicated hotshoe transmitter with receiver(s) of similar design to the RF-603. The RF-602 sets are being sold off at a discount ATM. The 602 and 603 receivers are not compatible with each other.

Functionally the 602 and 603 models are probably equal to each other. I just find the RF-603s more convenient, since I have half-a-dozen of them and it doesn't matter which ones I pick up. There's no special transmitter to get lost or have a flat battery. 

BTW, they're available in C(anon) and N(ikon) flavours. It makes no difference when triggering studio strobes, but they have the matching 'wake-up' pins when attached to dedicated Canon or Nikon speedlights. 

On 12/4/2022 at 4:55 PM, rodeo_joe1 said:

Get a set of YongNuo RF-603 ii triggers Ben, you won't regret it. The PW transceivers are ridiculously priced, and in tests do no better for distance and reliability than far cheaper stuff. 

The YN RF-603s aren't the cheapest, but I've found them to be well-made, reliable, easy to use and have good battery life... provided you remember to turn 'em off after use of course. They're also powered by common AAA cells. 

One downside is that you need to get cables to fire studio strobes. They're only supplied with top and bottom hotshoes for camera/speedlight coupling, but there's a P-C outlet socket on one end. 

Another minor minus point is the rather obscure marking of the mode switch, and it's not clearly explained in the manual. The switch is marked "Off" (obvious), "TX" (=transmit, reasonably obvious) and "TRX" (???). The unit in the camera hotshoe needs to be set in the TX position, and the receivers attached to the strobes set to TRX. All the units are identical and can be used either as a transmitter or receiver. 

There's also the older RF-602, which has a dedicated hotshoe transmitter with receiver(s) of similar design to the RF-603. The RF-602 sets are being sold off at a discount ATM. The 602 and 603 receivers are not compatible with each other.

Functionally the 602 and 603 models are probably equal to each other. I just find the RF-603s more convenient, since I have half-a-dozen of them and it doesn't matter which ones I pick up. There's no special transmitter to get lost or have a flat battery. 

BTW, they're available in C(anon) and N(ikon) flavours. It makes no difference when triggering studio strobes, but they have the matching 'wake-up' pins when attached to dedicated Canon or Nikon speedlights. 

Thats it. Make it more complex than it needs to be. The CHEAP units shown ( Newer and other Chinesiums ) Set TX and DX units the same, switch receiver unit on FIRE AWAY

On 12/6/2022 at 1:33 PM, laurencecochrane said:

Thats it. Make it more complex than it needs to be. The CHEAP units shown ( Newer and other Chinesiums )... 

Oh dear, another poster that just wants to have an argument and naysay others. 

Laurence, I typed my response while others were posting, and didn't see their responses until after I'd posted. 

Yes there are cheaper units available, and I've bought and used them in the past. They're great... until they're not! Most use a hard-to-find battery in the transmitter and have shoddy battery contacts that can easily become intermittent. The transmitter usually needs a screwdriver to get at the battery and reseat it.

Some makes also sell only as two-part kits and don't have multiple Receivers available; as are needed for a multi-light studio setup. 

Personally, I find the YongNuos a good compromise between price and durability. They just work, without finding that suddenly they don't, and then have to be taken apart to find out why. They use readily got AAA cells and are pretty bomb-proof. As I found out when one fell from the top of a 6' lighting stand, together with a speedlight, and only shed its battery cover.

Other people are completely free to choose and use cheaper triggers. I just gave a brief review of why I chose those YN RF-603s, which I admit have increased quite a bit in price since I bought mine. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1
  • Like 1

No Joe. Not looking an argument. Nothing unhealthy about debate.I have two sets of these Chinesiums they work fine and there is nothing much simpler. Bar the fiddley little on off switch on the receivers. I had to replace the batteries in my two transmiters ( I have them quite a while ) No issues, first watch battery shop I went to.. As for multiple heads  One at master rest on slave.

Edited by laurencecochrane

I'm glad they work for you Laurence. The ones I had seemed to regularly go dead on me while in storage (only for days or a week or so) and needed new batteries or some other time-wasting attention every time I went to use them. 

And sorry I was a bit tetchy in the last post. I'd just read yet another post from a member here who simply gainsays and contradicts others - and then has the nerve to call it 'discussion', while accusing others of the exact same fallacious argument tactics that he constantly uses himself. 

'It takes all sorts' as they say. 🙄

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rodeo_joe1 said:

...cheaper units... They're great... until they're not! Most use a hard-to-find battery in the transmitter and have shoddy battery contacts that can easily become intermittent. The transmitter usually needs a screwdriver to get at the battery and reseat it...

Wholeheartedly agreed! They had about 2 or 3 of those kits at work. The latest trigger unit was of the mentioned bitching kind, the earlier pair apparently entirely dead. If a battery wants my attention in its case frequently, it shouldn't require an uncommonly tiny Philipps screwdriver to be accessible. 

On 12/7/2022 at 10:31 PM, rodeo_joe1 said:

I'm glad they work for you Laurence. The ones I had seemed to regularly go dead on me while in storage (only for days or a week or so) and needed new batteries or some other time-wasting attention every time I went to use them. 

And sorry I was a bit tetchy in the last post. I'd just read yet another post from a member here who simply gainsays and contradicts others - and then has the nerve to call it 'discussion', while accusing others of the exact same fallacious argument tactics that he constantly uses himself. 

'It takes all sorts' as they say. 🙄

Joe. I really do not want this thread or others to turn into a childish between the lines. name calling exercise. Joe nothing personal but I find a lot oif your posts highly dissmissive of those using anything but the latest greatest kit. (Or maybe I am just reading you wrong ?) Some of us have little choice but to run the kit we can afford / justify. And what works for us or can be adapted / made work, nessesisity the mother of all invention.. I fiind a lot of this modern kit is designed for those with the hands of a three year old. Tiny nearly unreadable LCD screens. Thats not just photo equipment either.. I do not doubt in any way your experience ot abilities.. As said I find a lot of your posts highly dismissiive of others equipment. In the local camera club there is a guy who regularly condems the kit of otrher members. I find this behaviour right out of order. (having a go at him not you) But please take note of the simalarity. We use what we can afford / justify. Joe you yourself have been known to pounce on anyone who dare mention a Metz hammer head. Is that any different ?. I will aploogise for my ATITUDE PROBLEM Sorry but that is just the way i am and that is unlikely to change. I am often accused of internet bravado even drinking and posting. Neither the case. I am a regular visitor to Facebook prison. today and tomorrow included, even banned from other forums for my direct bluntness. Just how I am.. Lets just agree to dissagree. (at times) Again its nothing personal.

Edited by laurencecochrane

4 hours ago, laurencecochrane said:

I find a lot oif your posts highly dissmissive of those using anything but the latest greatest kit.

It's not really about latest and greatest - otherwise I'd be pitching for those well-overpriced PW things. Or something by Profoto. Yongnuo is hardly a premium brand either, but maybe a notch above some no-name stuff.

I usually only recommend stuff that I've used and has proven itself useful, and if I'm 'down' on certain equipment it's because I've found fault with it in the past, either by design, build-quality or because it's simply become obsolete or 'past its sell-by date' - regardless of price.

Some of those bits of kit I find wanting seem to have an inexplicable following and fan base. I feel obliged to counter the (often undeserved) praise with a bit of a reality check! 

4 hours ago, laurencecochrane said:

... my direct bluntness.

A personality trait that I recognise in myself too. 🥴

Edited by rodeo_joe1
  • Like 1