Help choose!!!

victor2

Greetings and salutations all,

Would like your opinions on upgrade camera... I have T5i all Canon ef lenses and would like to keep. Video is not important to me main use photography street/macro. I have thought of a 6d mkII  or the R (but diff lense or w/ adaptor). 

Thank you all in advance

I finally decided to stop my upgrades when I realized that few of the newest features (such as really hi-rez video,...) were in my range of activities.

If I felt the need to upgrade, I'd either get a newer EF series camera for the older lenses; or I'd cut the cord and buy a new outfit with new lenses in the newer mount.

I shoot lots of 'adapted' lenses for fun as a collector of historic cameras, but none of them has ever been as convenient as 'native' mount lenses.

Exakta mount Biotar on Canon EOS EF mount camera - all manual operation

1169329399_Biotar-(Exakta-mt)-on-Canonse.jpg.ed858969ea37da7eee38131988061bff.jpg

Edited by JDMvW
  • Like 1

If you have EF-S lenses, none of them will work on any full frame camera like the 6D.

Other than that, I can't offer useful advice because you haven't told us what you want the new camera to do that the old one doesn't, or what you want to be able to do better or more easily. If you spell out more what you are looking for, it would be easier to offer suggestions.

• Like 1

The 6D Mark II would make a great street and macro camera because it also has the flippy LCD screen. With that screen you don't necessarily  have to bring the camera to eye level when shooting. Meaning you can just shoot from the hip. Another thing it's not too big and heavy, but it is a little heftier and built better than the T5i,  in case you start bumping into things. I don't know much about the Canon R mirrorles, but I heard great things about it. Keep in mind that like others said whichever camera you decide on (6D II or the R) you are going to have to buy a new set of lenses..  

Thank you all for your input.

The lenses I have all but one appear to be EF (only a red dot on mount) and marked as EF.

The Canon EOS 6D Series of cameras can be used with Canon EF Series lenses. NOTE: They cannot be used with EF-M, EF-S or RF Series lenses.  

If those work with the 6D it would be good otherwise opt for the t8i.???

My camera is gettig old and would like the higher resolution, and full screen, better focus... the little things. I know the camera does not make the photographer, just easier and new toys, technology to explore... or maybe this old guy should get a PS.

For years had from 8x10 to 110 cameras, two bay darkroom and all the chemical thingy and loved it... but the times are a changing, I still have problems using my phone... as you can see this is a bit confusing for me. I appreciate all your input.

Thank You

Edited by victor2

I would look here for a decent deal on some of the cameras you may want:

https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/cameras/refurbished-cameras?cjevent=2401e5736f3611ed82150a970a82b838&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=Skimlinks&utm_term=100025849&utm_campaign=13505864

A 6DII for $900 seems like a good choice, though if it was me, I would really be temped by the Canon RP at $600.  It has the same sensor as the 6Dii, but its AF performance, especially subject tracking is going to be a whole lot better than the DSLR.  Get an EF to R adaptor and your EF lenses will work just fine, and you can then acquire RF lenses in the future.  

I´m so confused... all the research and a call to Adorama state 6D will work with EF lenses, asked about the Sigma, same will work.

Did read somewhere the R with adaptor does not play well with third party EF lenses like my Sigma 105mm macro.

I remain skeptical on buying refurbished or used cameras... 

Guess I'll try the 6D and try it, return if not satisfied. Will post results, might be useful for some.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions

I swapped out of my  6D. A fine camera that I had no complaints about but instead I got a EOS RP which is a leg up into the mirrorless world which can be had for $900 to $1,000. I bought the RF 50mm 1.8 and an adapter for EOS to R lenses which I have more than a few L category lenses. So far it has served me well with very nice raw files. I also have and plan to keep an EOS T5i and the excellent EF-S LENSES; 10-22MM, 17-50MM and 55-250mm. A nice light and small kit that can make very fine pictures. Here is a sample picture from the RP with the EOS 70-200mm 4.0 IS adapted.

IMG_0160Rs.jpg