Clear filter for night shooting?

chrismitchell

Yes it would protect the lens, but: it introduces an additional glass layer. So you would want a multicoated filter to reduce the potential flair created which could lessen the sharpness and contrast of your exposure. There are tradeoffs for everything.

• Like 2

IDK your 14mm but my old Sigma and the CV 15mm don't take filters at all. 

Sand blowing around will creep into your mechanics. I 'd call that a bigger risk than front element surface damage caused by its impact which I ' d consider hard to imagine. Just blow it off before you start wiping that lens.

Many keep a UV filter or Skylight filter on all the time for protection.

Color films are UV sensitive, which gives a bluish cast to daylight lit scenes.

The skylight filter, in addition to blocking UV, also adds the tiniest bit of warming.

-- glen

• 1 month later...

I don't have any experience in the desert, but night skies and an additional glass surface (as mentioned above) can cause problems with lens flare if there are light sources in the frame.  Maybe that's not the case with what you're photographing, but the idea about sand in the mechanics of the lens and camera would make me wonder more than flare.  Go for the filter and maybe a shower cap around the camera if that's a possibility.  Grab one and throw it in your camera bag the next time you spend a night in a hotel.

I'm one of those people who leaves a clear filter on for protection except when there is a reason not to. Night photography is one case where I never use a clear filter. The reason is that one of the conditions where a filter can do harm is when you have light sources in front of you. Good anti-flare coatings will help, but there is still a risk of flare. So rather than take a chance, I do my night photography without a filter.

However, my night photography isn't astrophotography. Stars are pretty dim. Perhaps someone who does astrophotography can weigh in about whether flare is an issue in astrophotography specifically.

I doubt that flare would be an issue with a multicoted filter unless a really (comparatively) bright source like the moon is included, or just out of frame. 

You could protect the whole camera from dust and moisture by putting it in a big plastic zip lock bag. Cut a circular hole in the bag that's just big enough to trap under the rim of a clear UV filter and you have a cheap DIY 'weatherproof' casing. However, you'd still have to clean any condensation or dust from the front of the filter before shooting. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A clear filter can help protect your lens from dust, sand, and other debris that can accumulate on the lens while shooting in a windy desert environment. A clear filter is also a good way to protect the front element of your lens from scratches and other types of physical damage. If you plan on shooting time lapses at night, a clear filter will not affect the image quality or exposure. It is recommended to use a high-quality filter from a reputable brand to ensure optimal protection for your lens.