Canonet QL17 G3 Film Indicator Not Working

Instant Skylar

Hello, I recently purchased a Canonet QL17 G3 secondhand, and i noticed when taking pictures that the indicator to show the film moving inside the camera hasnt moved. I heard of how this could be an issue for when i go to get my photos developed. Does anyone know how to get that fixed and working again?

As described by NHSN, if you tighten the rewind knob (turn clockwise, but don't force it), you should be able to see it turn when you advance the film.  If not, you have a problem.  The indicator you described should move when film is advancing, but given the age of the camera, it is possible that is broken. 

You have to ensure that the film is actually winding onto the spool. The QL system is excellent, but even it sometimes cannot pick up the film sprockets. Job#1 is to do what NHSN says with any film camera. Another thing you can do is to wind on a frame with the back open to check it is taking the film. You'll only lose one shot and probably not even that.

Robin Smith

Based on my own experience with the GIII, the most likely cause for the phenomenon you describe is that the film is  not actually advancing, because the QL (Quick Loading) system has not engaged the film's tail. This may depend on either the QL system being defective, or (hopefully) the film having not been inserted properly. The advice as forwarded by other makes good sense.

Also: at which point in the roll did you notice the problem? At the very beginning, perhaps? In that case, please be aware that when you load a new film in a GIII, you can advance the first three frames without firing the shutter. At the moment I cannot load my GIII to check this, but I would not be surprised if the film advance signal was disengaged during this phase.

The quick loading system of the QL is quite simple. There are two rubber pads on spring-loaded arms on the wind shaft. They press the film against the wall of the film chamber and push it forward as you advance the film. Make sure the rubber pads are intact and clean the surfaces of the pads and the inner polished surface of the film chamber with household alcohol.