Tamron 70-210mm 1:4-5.6

Harris17

(Please move if not in right spot)

I recently inherited a Fujica st605 and the lens on it is a Tamron 70-20mm 1:4-5.6 I’ve done a good amount of research on the Fujica as this is my first film camera and have no prior experience until now. I’ve done a little research on the lens but have came up on short.

Anything I can find is for more modern, digital cameras. I’ll make sure to include pictures but I was wondering what the capabilities are and the pros and cons of this lens. I’ll be traveling for Thanksgiving and would love to bring this camera with me knowing my equipment . 

image.thumb.jpg.e6b01f660e3cc816100b6aa691737864.jpg 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Harris17

• Harris17 changed the title to Tamron 70-210mm 1:4-5.6

Are you aware that Tamron lenses of that era are called Adaptall, and have interchangeable mounts? That means that the mount- the part at the end which connects to the camera - can be removed and replaced with a different mount for other camera systems. Your lens will have an M42 screw mount, which was a very common mounting system back in the day. If you decide to get another Tamron to cover, say, 28-70mm, you could use the same mount on it.

Adaptall lenses all had an identifying code which you will find marked somewhere on it. I think yours is either 58A or 158A. Photo.net does not have a lens database, but if you look at the Pentaxforums website, you should find some reviews:

LINK --------https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/tamron-adaptall-2-70-210mm-macro-f-4-5-6-58a.html

• 2 months later...

My best lens deal is a Nikon AI 80-200 for $11.

The 80-200 is a push-pull zoom, like the one shown, but is interesting

in that it is pull for longer focal lengths, and push for shorter.

It doesn't take so long to get used to, though, but seems unusual.

I have tried T2 adapters, but not adaptall adapters.

-- glen

5 hours ago, glen_h said:

... but is interesting

in that it is pull for longer focal lengths, and push for shorter.

It doesn't take so long to get used to, though, but seems unusual.

Same with the 35-80 I link to above.

Kind of irritating if you, as I do, mostly shoot at the wider end when walking around.

Having to keep the lens in its extended position makes it very front heavy.

Edited by NHSN
Niels

I've always found Tamron lenses to be well made and reliable performers. Not always outstanding optically, but very good in their price bracket.

Some acheived 'cult' status in their time, and many of Tamron's modern offerings punch well above their weight. Equalling OEM lenses for (sometimes much) less money. 

22 hours ago, glen_h said:

I have tried T2 adapters, but not adaptall adapters.

Adaptalls allow aperture meter-coupling to most cameras. Something you can't get with a T2. They bayonet strongly onto the lens and lock firmly in place. A good design - as long as you align them properly to begin with. 

FWIW I bought a used lens where the Adaptall mount had been fitted incorrectly. It was impossible to remove without bending its bayonet and then completely dismantling it. 

Line up the green dots! Is the watchword. 

Edited by rodeo_joe1

5 hours ago, rodeo_joe1 said:

(snip)

Adaptalls allow aperture meter-coupling to most cameras. Something you can't get with a T2. They bayonet strongly onto the lens and lock firmly in place. A good design - as long as you align them properly to begin with. 

(snip)

The T2 lens I have is a Vivitar catadioptric 500/8, with fixed aperture.

So, no need for aperture coupling!

Though I got a cheap Nikon-T2 adapter, which even if you line up the dots,

can turn the other way.  I never saw a green dot, though.

-- glen

I just remembered that the aperture ring on Nikon lenses and Canon lenses

turn the opposite direction.  I presume that Adaptall figures that out?

Also, I might have forgot about this, but I think the focus rings go opposite, too.

-- glen

8 hours ago, glen_h said:

Though I got a cheap Nikon-T2 adapter, which even if you line up the dots, can turn the other way.  I never saw a green dot, though.

You wouldn't see any green dots on a T2 screw-thread mount. They're only on Tamron's bayoneted Adaptalls.

7 hours ago, glen_h said:

I just remembered that the aperture ring on Nikon lenses and Canon lenses turn the opposite direction.  I presume that Adaptall figures that out?

Also, I might have forgot about this, but I think the focus rings go opposite, too.

Adaptall mount aperture rings turn differently depending on the camera make they're designed for. 

The focus ring is part of the lens, without a mount added. Therefore it might not turn in the same direction as an OEM lens, which is one of the slight drawbacks of 3rd party lenses. 

Here's a Nikon Ai-S fit Adaptall mount - it's nothing like a crude T2 adapter. 

IMG_20230126_132028.jpg.974dee49d70d209f40e20f40beffc3a3.jpg

Edited by rodeo_joe1
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 9:28 PM, glen_h said:

I am not sure how hard Adaptall adapters are to find, though

maybe easiest to find on a lens.

Not hard to find unless it's a rare or obscure camera mount - Nikon pre-AI with 'rabbit ears' for example. The big drawback these days is the cost if you need to swap the adapter on a used Tamron lens. The adapter might easily cost more than the lens! 

As far as where this should go, I suspect this isn't the best place, but recent changes in categories

make it not so obvious to me.  I suspect one like "classic manual cameras", or one of the

manufacturer specific forums might work.

But otherwise, it is probably fine here.  Maybe there should be one specifically for lenses.

-- glen