Adapters for X Pro 2?

Ricochetrider

I'm considering getting an X to M42 adapter to shoot my old East German Carl Zeiss lenses on my X pro 2, but there seem to be too many choices -as usual now a days... Somehow I have it in my mind that "more expensive" or "made in Germany" is best, so with that in mind I've found Novoflex adaapters but WOW over 100.00 USD for an adapter when almost everybody else is 50.00 or less?

Are Novoflex adapters really "worth it"? 

More questions, is an adapter simply a connection mechanism, or is there more to it than that? Does an adapter put too much distance between lens and sensor - I know there's some math and/or "science" involved in here somewhere, right?, so what difference does adding an adpater make? What about materials used, billet aluminum? Superior grade of plastic? Space age composite or alloy? 

Admittedly I am hard on stuff- I buy things to use and use hard- my cameras & lenses are no exception. I take them on trips world wide, drive them all around the country, bounce them around on motorcycles, use them outdoors regardless of location or weather or conditions... Bottom line is I need something that will remain infalible its whole life long, and if there's anyone who can break it, it's gonna be me.  I dont mind spending "up" to get something that will never fail no matter what. 

Please school me on adapters and point me in the right (aka smart choice) direction. 

Thanks, 

Tom

Edited by Ricochetrider

A mirrorless camera has much less depth front-to-back than an SLR; so there's no reason for an adapter to be too long and rob you of infinity focus. Putting your lenses in front of an APS-C sensor, you'll be getting a cropped image. Your lenses will effectively all be a little longer; a 50mm will be a portrait lens. You will get less depth of field than shown by any guide-lines on the adapted lens (just because you will be enlarging the view more).

I bought a couple of Fotodiox adapters for my EOS M50; one for Canon FD and one for Leica (FED!) lenses; with an extension tube I happened to have, that also lets me use old 39mm Zenit lenses. My adapters don't pass any electrical signals, or stop down the aperture for me. All they have to do is be the right length, and fit well at each end. I think they're ok: not Canon quality, but good enough for what they do. They're either aluminium or magnesium alloy.

When I have gone back to Fotodiox's site, I see that some of their adapters just aren't available in some fittings. It seems like they make a batch of any new product, and don't replenish when those run out.

Edited by Dustin McAmera

I've used Fotodiox, K&B, and generics. FWIW they are mostly very similar in construction and materials. The only ones I've taken issue with are some of the Leica screwmount ones, because some of them don't have a cutaway  or the mounting plate is too thin for the infinity locking knob on the lens to fully depress. As for the M42 ones, all I have seem to work fine. I've found no need to pay up for a name.

• Like 1

I have used many adapters over the past 10-12 years. First with my m43 camera and now on my Nikon Z6ii, branded and non-branded.

There is definitely a quality difference on the high-end branded adapters made in Germany and Japan, but that does not translate better image quality, just better look, feel and finish.

The pseudo brands like K&F, Fotodiox, URTH and others are very likely made on the same Chinese factories where the non-branded are produced, and there is not much point in making a distinction. Check if the screws needs tightening and if some rough edge needs to be sanded before you start using them.

Adapting lenses to mirrorless is great fun.

• Like 1
Niels

I use a Rayqual M-Fx mount I got a while back anti works without issue. And it even works fine on a CV lTM lens with a LTM to M adopter without issue.

If you put a M4/3 you are cropping the already cropped sensor, but I suppose it would work. P.S.  I think the Fuji adapters are pretty pricey, and the Rayqual's are just a little less, but good quality.

Edited by httpwww.photo.netbarry

I won't get an X-pro#. To my understanding THOSE are the only Fuji(!) adapter benefitting Fuji bodies, because the Fuji M mount adapter holds a button and contacts on the Fuji side to toggle through the available OVF settings. You 'd have to stack that with a M42 to M adapter for your project. 

Lensrentals' Roger blogged about adapters "There is no free lunch" worth reading and ignoring because if you are a "photographer" in the field and not a reprographer or measurebator, you 'll fill only a fraction of your frame with 3d subject in focus. Absolutely insane precission is needed when you have a flat subject, your camera dead center above it and a demand for everything absolutely sharp in focus. 

I admittedly haven't mounted my Soviet made 1000mm on the cheapest adapter available, to ride Paris Dakhar with everything hanging on the camera strap. Surely something would break. I had a cheapo k-mount teleconverter with only 4 screws supposed to hold the lens mount. Those were not enough for a heavyish tele zoom in rough use. 

Assuming you had the 180/2.8; what would you prefer to give up? Your camera's lens mount? Or your adapter's? I guess one camera costs 10 adapters, so I 'd appreciate the camera's survival. 

I 'd buy cheapo adapters. On your bike travels you should bring a bottle of Loctite and something screwdriver anyhow, when riding rigidly mounted singles without balancer shafts. 

When shooting fishy old gear SERIOUSLY, you should bring something backup, to get your job done. 

The Fujis don't market F2 / EOS1 ruggedness & abusability. Pack them properly when you march. 

When you are very unlucky you can end with a cheapo adapter that is machined too short, i.e. infinity focused at 6m engraving. The lens would still be quite shootable. Loving hard infinity stopsnand zone focusing MIGHT be a reason to buy premium brand adapters. But I'd adapt to MILC, to focus precisely via EVF, shoot rather wide open and get all the loveable imperfections that push folks to shoot vintage glass.