sigma 150-600 contemporary vs sport

Kamala

Hello there,

I am looking to buy sigma 150-600 lens. I am looking at contemporary and sport versions. I am debating whether contemporary is a good option due to the pricing difference between the two. The specs of sport and contemporary are different in term of optical design. From the optical design specs it is difficult to assess, more elements may be better performance. Only lens designers can probably tell. Apart from weight and price (both on the lower side for contemporary), does it matter when it comes to sharp focussing at extended 600mm?

Another question: will 1.4x make it hard to focus for flying bird photography? Again, will contemporary vs sport matter in terms of using 1.4X?

Thanks in advance for inputs.

B/R

Kamala

I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary and have used it for a few years now. I use a Canon 5D MK IV and I have old Sigma x1.4 and x2 Extenders (not the new preferred version so I am told by the local camera store). 

My only complaint on the lens itself is the manual focus ring, very thin, too thin in my opinion to comfortable manual focus and the stiff manual control on focusing makes it extremely difficult to shoot the moon and nail focus on the craters of the moon. While achieving focus manually on the moon is possible, minute adjustment is difficult to achieve in my opinion and I wonder if the sport would have easier to use fine tuning adjustment control. 

The lens itself performs pretty well in Auto focus and the lens can have firmware updates and custom performance modes set with a computer using the Sigma USB puck and the Sigma software. 

Using the lens with the old Sigma x1.4 teleconverter I get pretty good results; Auto Focus works well. Using the old x2 teleconverter you will lose focus points, they become disabled viewing through view finder, I think this is a Canon 5D MK IV DSLR thing any f-stop beyond a certain number and you don't get all the focus point.

I find Auto Focus with the x2 teleconverter is also hit or miss and at times it takes more time to nail focus but it is achievable but would not be my go to set up for shooting sports or birds in flight.

Any combo of lens with or without teleconverters, you will want a good mono pod, though it is not necessary. Guess it depends on your muscle strength carrying this lens for an afternoon until you feel muscle burn in your arms.

The C seems to be a well-built lens and does the job. There are times when I wonder would I have been happier with the Sport version, maybe it would be a better performer as it is called the "Sport" version.

I can only give you my opinion on the C, having never shot with the Sport.

These two shots are using  the C with an extender at 771mm (I don't recall if it was the x1.4 or the x2) Your images will look slightly soft, though I really can't show you well here with the new version of Photo.net seeming to limit image resolution to a 1200 pixel wide max and I am viewing on a 32 inch monitor and all images I see on PN look soft to me these days.

image.thumb.jpeg.5d69dacebce66bfd883d196b80072787.jpeg

1346865781_SurferBigLens4-.thumb.jpg.f6e841d46a7b49b2b88a8e7e97180fd6.jpg

These images are 600 mm and I believe was just the lens and no teleconverters. These are crops and was shooting into the setting sun.

Dog Beach OB 150-600 Surf Photog--2.jpg

Dog Beach OB 150-600 Surf Photog 16x9-2.jpg

Dog Beach OB 150-600 Surf Photog 2-2.jpg

The image with the girl carrying the surfboard was at 665 mm so also a teleconverter, though I am not sure which one.

Surfer Big Lens2-.jpg

I just went into Lightroom to check, this shot is the Sigma 150-600 C with x2 Teleconverter.

Edited by Mark Keefer
add photo
Cheers, Mark

My impression (only from reading reviews, I have neither) is that the two are very similar performance-wise. Maybe this was a case where Sigma have learnt there is little point in having a lens with the same specs in different categories without one version being substantially better optically than the other.

Robin Smith

On 11/13/2022 at 4:15 AM, Mark Keefer said:

I have the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary and have used it for a few years now. I use a Canon 5D MK IV and I have old Sigma x1.4 and x2 Extenders (not the new preferred version so I am told by the local camera store). 

My only complaint on the lens itself is the manual focus ring, very thin, too thin in my opinion to comfortable manual focus and the stiff manual control on focusing makes it extremely difficult to shoot the moon and nail focus on the craters of the moon. While achieving focus manually on the moon is possible, minute adjustment is difficult to achieve in my opinion and I wonder if the sport would have easier to use fine tuning adjustment control. 

The lens itself performs pretty well in Auto focus and the lens can have firmware updates and custom performance modes set with a computer using the Sigma USB puck and the Sigma software. 

Using the lens with the old Sigma x1.4 teleconverter I get pretty good results; Auto Focus works well. Using the old x2 teleconverter you will lose focus points, they become disabled viewing through view finder, I think this is a Canon 5D MK IV DSLR thing any f-stop beyond a certain number and you don't get all the focus point.

I find Auto Focus with the x2 teleconverter is also hit or miss and at times it takes more time to nail focus but it is achievable but would not be my go to set up for shooting sports or birds in flight.

Any combo of lens with or without teleconverters, you will want a good mono pod, though it is not necessary. Guess it depends on your muscle strength carrying this lens for an afternoon until you feel muscle burn in your arms.

The C seems to be a well-built lens and does the job. There are times when I wonder would I have been happier with the Sport version, maybe it would be a better performer as it is called the "Sport" version.

I can only give you my opinion on the C, having never shot with the Sport.

These two shots are using  the C with an extender at 771mm (I don't recall if it was the x1.4 or the x2) Your images will look slightly soft, though I really can't show you well here with the new version of Photo.net seeming to limit image resolution to a 1200 pixel wide max and I am viewing on a 32 inch monitor and all images I see on PN look soft to me these days.

image.thumb.jpeg.5d69dacebce66bfd883d196b80072787.jpeg

1346865781_SurferBigLens4-.thumb.jpg.f6e841d46a7b49b2b88a8e7e97180fd6.jpg

These images are 600 mm and I believe was just the lens and no teleconverters. These are crops and was shooting into the setting sun.

Dog Beach OB 150-600 Surf Photog--2.jpg

Dog Beach OB 150-600 Surf Photog 16x9-2.jpg

Dog Beach OB 150-600 Surf Photog 2-2.jpg

The image with the girl carrying the surfboard was at 665 mm so also a teleconverter, though I am not sure which one.

Surfer Big Lens2-.jpg

I just went into Lightroom to check, this shot is the Sigma 150-600 C with x2 Teleconverter.

Hi Mark, Thank you for the detailed response. This helps a lot. I am looking at some of the shots you have attached and they are impressive and the images are sharp. I will try and import it to Lightroom and check when I can. I also read a few reviews and most do recommend contemporary version. There are a few reviews that specifically say beyond 300mm, sport takes over. There are mixed reviews on this aspect as well. I might end up buying the C version. Both due to pricing a weight. I usually prefer handheld photography for birds. I will add 1.4X down the lane. Thank you again for the detailed review. B/R Kamala

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robin Smith said:

My impression (only from reading reviews, I have neither) is that the two are very similar performance-wise. Maybe this was a case where Sigma have learnt there is little point in having a lens with the same specs in different categories without one version being substantially better optically than the other.

Hi Robin, Agree with you totally. I don't read that there is much of a difference between the two, especially with such a large price difference. Again adding element might have an advantage, but I don't see any review that talks about how addition of more elements has helped. I might go with the C version. B/R Kamala

• 3 weeks later...

I got the Sport not long after it came out.  Don't recall all the factors I looked at but determined the Sport to be the better option.  I do recall it's weather sealed better although I try not to test that.  I've been happy with it.  Got a real cool pic of an eagle at Yellowstone the first vacation out with it.  (Always wanted to take an eagle pic.)

May be age and diminishing upper body strength but it's challenging to hand hold mounted on the D800 sometimes.  It does like a lot of light in my experience.  I have no regrets other than not enough time to travel with it...