Nikon Wednesday 2022: #42

Matt Laur

Note: In the interests of balancing performance and quality, the topic of image file size and dimensions as normally posted to this recurring thread is under discussion elsewhere in the Nikon forum (the topic is obvious when you look) - please check in there and comment if you have thoughts to share! That's the best place to talk about that particular topic. For now, consider keeping uploads no larger than 1600 pixels on the long side when it matters, and sticking with 1000 pixels when the image feels no pain at that resolution. On data size/compression, try to keep things under 1mb, shooting for 600kb when you can stop there. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you new to this thread? The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are right here: Guidelines for Nikon Forum Wednesday Image Threads. For now, we're sticking with 1, 2, or 3 images per week as you see fit.

I was going through some 2007 shots from Italy, taken with the ol' D200 and a 70-200/2.8 VR1. Shot a bunch from a high-altitude switchback climbing out of the Veneto plain up the foothills of the Dolomites towards the kinda-Alpine town of Asiago. Yes, the cheese originated there. We spoke almost no Italian, and if the folks in town spoke much English, it wasn't obvious. Happily, my wife's German played better up in those mountains than our other struggles (so, we got a nice lunch). Never the less, I was looking at this shot down into one of the valleys, and in Where's Waldo mode, spotted a home all alone up on a chunk of mountain that I'd never before noticed. It's fun to find surprises. Share some, this Nikon Wednesday!
2022-10-25_asiago_1.thumb.jpg.9c9049cb2913bef0f7356e30eafe191a.jpg

A 100% crop tells the tale:
2022-10-25_asiago_2.thumb.jpg.56686cc2590966fdf373c8ed5bb95a7d.jpg
Edited by Matt Laur
typo
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, david_simon said:

my vulture shot

I asked, as I had shot (!) a Black Vulture the other day, not in the Pantanal, but sunny Hampshire UK, and was surprised just how very BLACK they were...

..and how shadow recovery was so very noisy. There's little hope of sky detail AND underwing detail together, and flash is cheating...😉

If they didn't move so much HDR might work.

Edited by mike_halliwell

On 10/29/2022 at 11:35 AM, mike_halliwell said:

Gosh! What are the other EXIF details, they seem to have dropped off!

for the first one. ISO 4000 , 1/320 f.5.6, 400 mm on my 200-400mm Nikon f4 zoom, EV 1.33  and in ON1 software, exposure 1.45, contrast 34, highlights 66, midtones -57, shadows 28, whites 0, black 10 , structure 83, haze -15. 

for the second , same lens,  380 mm, ISO 1100, 1/250, f5.6 EV 0,  and in On1, exposure -.9, contrast -21, highlights -65, midtones -37, shadows 33, whites 26, clacks 16, structuree 84, haze 8

• Like 1