My Name posted

mark_bergman5

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, rws1664886018 said:

If there are issues with EU law, could the relevant points be summarized in a sticky post here?

There always were issues on the old photo.net. One argument for the upgrade was to align with GDPR - which is required to operate in the EU.

One part of that is "the right to be forgotten" which implies that you can have your personal data removed - and that would include your name.

Edited by NHSN
Niels

Sandy,

Just as an experiment, I tried to establish a new account on PN starting with my old username, rws.  I get an error message saying that I can't use rws because that name is already being used by another user.  But that other user doesn't seem to be me, since I am now (apparently) rws1664886018. Is there really another rws?  If so, how did that user get the name that I have used for years?  None of this makes sense to me.

Edited by rws1664886018
left out two words in a sentence

2 minutes ago, rws1664886018 said:

Sandy,

Just as an experiment, I tried to establish a new account on PN starting with my old username, rws.  I get an error message saying that I can't use rws because that name is already being used by another user.  But that other user doesn't seem to, since I am now (apparently) rws1664886018. Is there really another rws?  If so, how did that user get the name that I have used for years?  None of this makes sense to me.

I think one of the necessary adjustments to the system is to enable the ability for people to update their screen name.

If you haven't already sent a personal message (PM) to the representative from the owner @mjensen I'd suggest you do: Via the envelope in the top of the screen (at least as I see it on my laptop).

That is how he has requested to get information about problems. image.thumb.png.13d0bb80154cc99fcc735241a839deb4.png

Niels

46 minutes ago, rws1664886018 said:

Sandy,

Just as an experiment, I tried to establish a new account on PN starting with my old username, rws.  I get an error message saying that I can't use rws because that name is already being used by another user.  But that other user doesn't seem to be me, since I am now (apparently) rws1664886018. Is there really another rws?  If so, how did that user get the name that I have used for years?  None of this makes sense to me.

Unofficially, it seems merely a coding issue and not an identity issue. The system has you, the person sitting in your chair right now (or standing on your own two feet) listed under both names and is currently displaying the name with all the numbers after it instead of the initials without the numbers. I can't be 100% certain, but I seriously doubt there's someone else hiding under your bed using your preferred name.

See Occam's Razor.

• Excellent! 1

"You talkin' to me?"

I think that you are right.  I guess I was asking a rhetorical question.  And I agree, it does seem like a coding issue, so I'm not sure why it would be hard to change.  I guess the logcal next step would be to pm matt jensen.

23 minutes ago, rws1664886018 said:

I'm not sure why it would be hard to change

It may be more a matter of resources and priority than degree of difficulty. Since “rws” with a bunch of numbers after it will be assumed by most here to be “rws” without those numbers, I have a feeling you’ll still be recognized. I hope, though, it won’t provide too much inconvenience until it’s fixed. In the meantime, I imagine other priorities may come first. And, yes, I agree it’s all moving rather slowly and with minimal communication. Thankfully, for my own sanity, I was expecting that and am content to make use of the site the way it is for now. 

Edited by samstevens
  • Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"