Old eyes and the A99II

john_cooper9

I was at the Brumos Collection (Porche's and others) today with my A99II and 35mm f/2 Minolta. When reviewing shots on the tiny screen I realized I need a bigger review screen. Can you recommend a 7 or 8 inch panel that sits on top of the camera that communicates via HDMI like a TV screen. Would it have to be powered by the camera or batteries?

Sorry, if I am dragging this off topic but my choice would be connecting the camera to an Android tablet, since those provide the desired screen size and can do other stuff too. Maybe you could even adapt micro SD cards into the camera, to insert them into your tablet. YMMV.

On 10/21/2022 at 6:35 AM, Jochen1664876637 said:

Sorry, if I am dragging this off topic but my choice would be connecting the camera to an Android tablet, since those provide the desired screen size and can do other stuff too. Maybe you could even adapt micro SD cards into the camera, to insert them into your tablet. YMMV.

Does this give live view for monitoring the shot while taking it. Or is it only for after shot monitoring via the micro SD card?

Sorry, I don't know your camera at all. My EOS connects wirelessly and provides LV on Android.

The big question related to video out LV is usually: What will you get? I pondered an M200something to tether it into Lightroom. But the LV provided that way would be just 1080p, probably not ideal for nailing critical focus in 24MP stills. 

I 'd try to read up what the camera provides and figure out if that can be displayed on smart devices. 

Sorry again, you mentioning "REviewing" must have confused me. I assumed you 'd use your OVF and need a chimping screen.

• 2 weeks later...

I use an Atomos Shinobi monitor (only), 5", with HDMI. It's very light and runs for hours on an NP-F970 battery. At 1000 NITs, it's usually bright enough to see in sunlight. It's sharp enough for focusing, and has 2x magnification for that purpose. I mount in the flash shoe, in a cold shoe on a cage, or on an articulated arm, clamped to the cage or a tripod leg.

You can configure the HDMI output on the camera with or without the screen data. It shows everything you see on the LCD (with) or a clean output for video recording. There are 7" versions too, HDMI or HDMI/SDI, 2200 NITs.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1456145-REG/atomos_atomshbh01_shinobi_5_2_4k_hdmi.html

Edited by Ed_Ingold
added information re mounting