EOS 10D, 420EX and autofocus

peter2

Hello everybody!

Here in Sweden several companies have been taking pre-ordes for the

camera the last 12 days.

The new 10D looks nice but will the AF-pattern of the 420EX work with

the 7 autofocus points of the 10D?

Hello Peter

After answering an other post yesterday, I looked at my equipment last night. As you know, most AF sensors on Canon Bodies are vertical sensors (need horizontal contrast). I noticed that an EOS3 with a 420EX will only AF with the center row of sensors, where the flash would emit a pattern of horizontal red lines. However, when I selected any AF point directly above or below the center AF point, the flash would emit two light patterns: Horizontal and vertical. I believe that the reason is because the two sensors above and below the center cross of the ELAN7E (EOS30) are horizontal sensors, as opposed to the other 4 verticals sensors. This is the reason that an ELAN7E will only AF with the center row when equipped with a 550EX.

The question is then, does the 10D have horizontal or vertical sensors above and below the center cross? Hope Canon will answer that for you. Because it would mean that only one, of the 420EX or 550EX, will work, not both!!!

Good luck

I had a similar auto focus question. I heard that the AF on the D60 was sloooooow. Working photo retail I'll be getting my hands on experience today since our shipment of 10D's are ariving this afternoon. Just to pass on what I know so far they have a TTL-CT-SIR CMOS sensor (TTL Cross Type secondary image Registration).

The 420Ex was introduced with the EOS 30 or Elan 7e. It's autofocus light was designed to support all 7 focus points of that camera. Since the 10D has the same autofocus points as the EOS 30, it seems to me that the 420 autofocus light should work well with it.