Equipment suggestions for upcoming trip

PaulDardeau

After having some time to try out the T2i and the Powershot (and a lot of thinking about suggestions made in this thread), I have decided that I will take the T2i and Powershot on trip (no film cameras). I also plan to get a new phone (Pixel 6a). I plan to retire my film cameras from any air travel and restrict their use to car outings. Thank you for all the suggestions and advice given in this thread. I really appreciate it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PaulDardeau said:

"I plan to retire my film cameras from any air travel and restrict their use to car outings"

Agree 100%.  Once the T2i has been set up to your preferences, you may not need to use the menu thereafter.  The 18-55IS kit lens may feel like junk, but is purportedly quite sharp.  Best of luck.

22 hours ago, Gary Naka said:

I would pair the 18-135 with a 35/2, for indoor photography.

That is the same as my pair: 18-140 GP lens + 35/1.8 low light lens.

Gary, thank you for the suggestions. I bought a 18-135mm yesterday on eBay. I'll strongly consider adding a prime lens.

Primes? 

50/1.8, dirt cheap, narrow DOF for portraits. Would be my choice. My APS C DSLRs kit in regular travel use: 2 IBIS bodies, 12-24/4, 18-55(/70), 50/1.4, 135/2.8. 

24/2.8 pancake? Compact... I don't see a real need for a lazy day prime, considering how quite decent and light especially stabilized kit zooms are. - Not a primes hater in general. If I had at least 2 Canons I'd lust after a 35 & 85/100 IS combo. But big warning: anguided tour isn't the ideal playground to juggle lenses on.

Actually, IF I had a choice, I would use an 24/1.8 for my companion prime to the 18-135/140, on an APS-C camera.

My logic is, IF I am shooting in low light, it is probably indoors. 
If I am indoors, it is probably a bit cramped. 
So a wide 24 would work better in a cramped environment than a normal 35 or a short tele 50.

But Neither Canon nor Nikon makes a fast APS-C/DX 24/1.8 prime.
So, I settled on the "normal" DX 35/1.8 for my Nikon. 
I think you have to do similar for Canon.

In low light, I would not want to give up the stop of light from f/2.8 to f/2.
On the short end, the 18-135 is f/3.5, only about a half stop from f/2.8.  So why bother.  But the 18-135 is 1-1/2 stops from f/2, and almost 2 stops from f1.8.  And that is different enough to make a difference.

@Jochen1664876637brings up a good point.
The 18-55 and 18-135 are stabilized.
The various APS-C fast primes are NOT stabilized, as far as I know.
So for stationary subjects, a stabilized lens works just fine at slow shutter speeds, and you don't need the fast prime.
But stabilization ONLY stabilizes for YOUR motion, not the subject's motion.  You still need a decent shutter speed to deal with subject motion.

Phil,

I have made many trips to France, Paris, Normandy, Riviera, as well as Dordogne and Central Massif areas.   Most trips were with film Nikon cameras (F4, F5)with autofocus lenses, recently digital( several cameras, autofocus lenses).  I strongly  suggest digital over film, primarily for instant image review  advantage.  I used my D700, various lenses, and recently D810.  The D700 is a great camera, and D810 is even better. I don't think there is any image differenced for travel between D700/D810. My favorite travel lens is the Nikon 24-120 AFD F. 4.0.  It handles the close  up wide angles well (I am generally at F 8.0) as well as the monuments, architecture, and Normandy (old German artillery emplacements,  cemetery, museums, beaches, Mulberry harbor, etc.). ISO 800 works well on the D700 for everything, but it is easy to modify the ISO.  Of your listed lenses, I prefer the 35-105, but an autofocus lens will  improve images, save much time.  I see the Nikon  24-240 selling used for$375-400( what I paid). If you get the 24-120, use the Nikon bayonet lens hood to eliminate flare (lens is 77mm).

I am sorry I can't join you.  France is Fall can be beautiful ( also sometimes rainy).

Stan

• Like 1

I do not believe either of your digital cameras has GPS, but your Pixel 6a does and will tag any images you take with it with the GPS coordinates of the location. Just be sure you cameras are set to the same time as your phone. Then take a quick image with your phone when you shoot a location with the other cameras. Than any images you load into your DAM (I use Lightroom) will appear near each other, no matter what folders you store them in on your computer. It is than a simple matter to synchronize the GPS data from image taken with the phone to the other imaes taken with your other cameras. Ten years from now when you look at them, you will know where you took all your images. You do not have to duplicate each image. Just shoot one image with your phone in the same vicinity as the others.

Have a great trip. I look forward to seeing some of your images posted on photo,net upon your return.

15 hours ago, bgelfand said:

I do not believe either of your digital cameras has GPS, but your Pixel 6a does and will tag any images you take with it with the GPS coordinates of the location. Just be sure you cameras are set to the same time as your phone. Then take a quick image with your phone when you shoot a location with the other cameras. Than any images you load into your DAM (I use Lightroom) will appear near each other, no matter what folders you store them in on your computer. It is than a simple matter to synchronize the GPS data from image taken with the phone to the other imaes taken with your other cameras. Ten years from now when you look at them, you will know where you took all your images. You do not have to duplicate each image. Just shoot one image with your phone in the same vicinity as the others.

Have a great trip. I look forward to seeing some of your images posted on photo,net upon your return.

Wow! That's a great idea and I would not have thought of doing that. I'll do this. Thank you for the great suggestion.

On 11/2/2022 at 2:06 PM, stanley_sizeler said:

Phil,

I have made many trips to France, Paris, Normandy, Riviera, as well as Dordogne and Central Massif areas.   Most trips were with film Nikon cameras (F4, F5)with autofocus lenses, recently digital( several cameras, autofocus lenses).  I strongly  suggest digital over film, primarily for instant image review  advantage.  I used my D700, various lenses, and recently D810.  The D700 is a great camera, and D810 is even better. I don't think there is any image differenced for travel between D700/D810. My favorite travel lens is the Nikon 24-120 AFD F. 4.0.  It handles the close  up wide angles well (I am generally at F 8.0) as well as the monuments, architecture, and Normandy (old German artillery emplacements,  cemetery, museums, beaches, Mulberry harbor, etc.). ISO 800 works well on the D700 for everything, but it is easy to modify the ISO.  Of your listed lenses, I prefer the 35-105, but an autofocus lens will  improve images, save much time.  I see the Nikon  24-240 selling used for$375-400( what I paid). If you get the 24-120, use the Nikon bayonet lens hood to eliminate flare (lens is 77mm).

I am sorry I can't join you.  France is Fall can be beautiful ( also sometimes rainy).

Stan

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Nikon D700 and D810. I really wish that I had a Nikon full-frame DSLR for this trip, but I've decided to take the Canon T2i and a newly acquired 18-135mm lens. If I really latch onto digital photography, I will likely buy a Nikon full-frame DSLR.

On 11/2/2022 at 1:58 PM, Gary Naka said:

Actually, IF I had a choice, I would use an 24/1.8 for my companion prime to the 18-135/140, on an APS-C camera.

My logic is, IF I am shooting in low light, it is probably indoors. 
If I am indoors, it is probably a bit cramped. 
So a wide 24 would work better in a cramped environment than a normal 35 or a short tele 50.

But Neither Canon nor Nikon makes a fast APS-C/DX 24/1.8 prime.
So, I settled on the "normal" DX 35/1.8 for my Nikon. 
I think you have to do similar for Canon.

In low light, I would not want to give up the stop of light from f/2.8 to f/2.
On the short end, the 18-135 is f/3.5, only about a half stop from f/2.8.  So why bother.  But the 18-135 is 1-1/2 stops from f/2, and almost 2 stops from f1.8.  And that is different enough to make a difference.

@Jochen1664876637brings up a good point.
The 18-55 and 18-135 are stabilized.
The various APS-C fast primes are NOT stabilized, as far as I know.
So for stationary subjects, a stabilized lens works just fine at slow shutter speeds, and you don't need the fast prime.
But stabilization ONLY stabilizes for YOUR motion, not the subject's motion.  You still need a decent shutter speed to deal with subject motion.

Thanks for sharing your suggestions as well as your reasoning for including the 35mm lens for indoor use. I'm keeping my eye open for a good deal on a 35mm lens as you suggest.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're set on shooting film and wear glasses, the F3HP is without compare, IMO.  But film.......hard to justify the expense, the hassle and limitations in terms of number of shots available, ISO flexibility. The only plus to film, IMO, is the cameras - they are so nice to use (my long-gone F3HP remains my favorite SLR ever), but if the goal is to capture pics, it's hard to beat digital. In your shoes, I would track down a decent used dSLR (you mentioned a D700?) and bring it and the 35-105. Travel light and balance taking pics with enjoying the vacation.

12 hours ago, david_carroll4 said:

If you're set on shooting film and wear glasses, the F3HP is without compare, IMO.  But film.......hard to justify the expense, the hassle and limitations in terms of number of shots available, ISO flexibility. The only plus to film, IMO, is the cameras - they are so nice to use (my long-gone F3HP remains my favorite SLR ever), but if the goal is to capture pics, it's hard to beat digital. In your shoes, I would track down a decent used dSLR (you mentioned a D700?) and bring it and the 35-105. Travel light and balance taking pics with enjoying the vacation.

Thanks for your input David. After a lot of thinking, I had decided to use digital only for the trip. I will have Canon T2i with 18-135 lens as primary, and then Canon PowerShot G9 and Pixel 6a phone for secondary.

I still absolutely love film photography and will likely get a F3HP in near future.

Edited by PaulDardeau

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 12:02 PM, PaulDardeau said:

Thanks for your input David. After a lot of thinking, I had decided to use digital only for the trip. I will have Canon T2i with 18-135 lens as primary, and then Canon PowerShot G9 and Pixel 6a phone for secondary.

I still absolutely love film photography and will likely get a F3HP in near future.

Hi Paul,

I'm a little late for this thread, and you're already traveling, but here are my thoughts - I've had a similar experience.  For years I posted "what to take" for a planned trip for "La Ruta Maya" in the Peten and adjacent highlands of Guatemala.  I need good quality prints so IQ was a consideration.  In the past my favorite travel camera was a Nikon FE2 with two prime lenses (35 and 85).  Light and good quality.  As much as I wanted to take this again, film for international travel is just not practical - too many scanners and unpredictable security.  I also have a Nikon D700 and associated high quality zoom lenses.  Big, bulky and very noticeable.  Mirrorless? - bodies and new lenses easily tops $2,000.

I just bought a Nikon D7500 from KEH - $750 in like new condition.  I'll pair it with either a Nikon 16085 or 18-200 (which I already have), plus a 35 mm prime.  This was the best compromise amongst weight, IQ, and under $1,000 I could find.  Would a new Nikon Z5 mirrorless with a 24-200 lens give better IQ - probably, but then we're looking at over $2,000 plus learning curve.  My thoughts - others may have different opinions.

Gene

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2022 at 12:37 PM, PaulDardeau said:

Hi all,

Brand new to the site. My wife and I will be going on a 7-day trip to France in 6 weeks and I'm having trouble deciding which photography gear to take with me. A big part of it is film vs. digital. Here are the options that I'm considering. I have 2x Nikon F2 35mm film cameras. I can take 0, 1, or both. My wife and I have both been to Paris multiple times and seen the big attractions. We're also going to Normandy, which will be first for both of us. I plan to shoot a lot at Normandy.

What are your thoughts or suggestions? Many thanks in advance!

-paul

Here are the Nikkor (Nikon F) lenses that I already own:

Nikkor 50mm prime f/1.4 (2 of these)

Nikkor 35-105mm zoom (planning to use this lens if I bring a Nikon)

Nikkor 35-70mm zoom

Vivitar Series1 70-210mm zoom (NOT planning to take -- too big)

Nikon F2 (35mm film) black body

+ I already own it

+ Very familiar with F2

+ No batteries required (and no menus!)

- ISO fixed with film loaded

- Haven't verified that it doesn't have light leaks

- Haven't verified that light meter is accurate (not critical; I'm pretty comfortable shooting with sunny-16)

Nikon F2 (35mm film) chrome body

+ I already own it

+ Very familiar with F2

+ No batteries required (and no menus!)

- ISO fixed with film loaded

- Haven't verified that it doesn't have light leaks

- Haven't verified that light meter is accurate (not critical; I'm pretty comfortable shooting sunny-16)

Canon T2i (digital) with kit lens

+ I already own it

- Hate using it (I despise using any menu on a camera)

- Cannot use any of my Nikkor lenses (not planning to buy any more Canon lenses)

Canon PowerShot G9 12.1 megapixel (to use when bigger camera(s) is in hotel room; e.g., going out to dinner)

+ Just bought it on FB Marketplace (haven't received it yet)

+ Compact

+ Dials/controls for quick changes (without needing menu)

+ ISO can be varied between shots (true for all digital)

- Never used one

Nikon D700 (digital)

+ Have read many testimonials about fantastic sensor and great ergonomics (minimal reliance on menus; have buttons)

+ Can use my existing MF Nikkor lenses

+ ISO can be varied between shots (true for all digital)

- Big and heavy (even compared to Nikon F2; D700 body with battery is about 1074 grams)

- Never used it

- Would need to buy it (about $400)

Nikon F3HP (35mm film)

+ Have read many testimonials about great ergonomics and build quality

+ Can use my existing MF Nikkor lenses

+ Have read that HP viewfinder is fantastic for those who wear eyeglasses (I do)

- Never used it

- Would need to buy it ($300-$400)

Most/Heaviest Gear Load-out Option

2x Nikon F2 cameras (1 with 35-105mm zoom [lower ISO film]; 1 with 50mm prime [higher ISO film])

1x Canon PowerShot G9

Least/Lightest Gear Load-out Option

1x Canon PowerShot G9 compact digital

All digital in-between Option

1x Nikon D700 with 35-105mm zoom

Film and digital in-between Option

1x Nikon F2 with 35-105mm zoom

Unless there is a specific reason for shooting film, then my personal choice would be the Nikon D700 with the 35-70mm zoom and maybe the 50mm f1.4 in case you need to shoot in low light situations. Not only is film expensive, it can be a hassle trying to get it through Security at the airport. Some of those x-ray machines have been known to damage film.

My second choice would be the Canon G9. Actually, the canon g9 might be a better choice since you don't have to stop and change lenses. When I travel these days, I try to be as inconspicuous as possible that's why I say the Canon g9 might be a better choice, but that's just me. However, if you want really nice quality looking pictures then the Nikon D700 is an excellent choice.

Years ago, I made the big mistake of hauling a lot of equipment to a travel destination, only to find out that I never got to use most of it. Carrying all that stuff was back-breaking work and prevented me from enjoying my "relaxing" vacation. Not only that, it attracted a lot of uneeded attention, or it scared off the locals who thought that their picture might wind up on a global magazine, shady website, or the news papers. From then on, one camera with 1-2 lenses became my recipe for travel photography. You might want to carry a mini, or travel tripod, or even better a monopod for night photography. Otherwise, better to leave all that gear at home, where it wont get lost, or stolen.  

** Oops I guess i was too late on this thread **

Edited by hjoseph7

• 1 month later...

Two weeks visit to Paris in December. Great city, wonderful people.

Brought one of my Rolleiflex cameras and my Sekonic light meter with several rolls of Fuji Acros 120 film and my wife’s iPhone. I used six rolls of 120 film. Developed with Freestyles Mic-X. Now to make contact sheets and print a few.

Never had a problem with the camera, getting zero looks at MSP or DGL airports or anywhere else.

Bought the metro pass. 
Stayed at Hotel De Varenne. 
Arriving at DGL it took us about 2 hrs. to get to our bags. Busy. Christmas travelers. 

Edited by wclark5179

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

To people new to this thread:

Get a new model phone - you can shoot 'movies' and all kinds of still shots, including panoramas.

Get it early enough that you learn how to use it though.

These days when I travel I rarely see any actual 'dedicated' cameras in use.

Edited by JDMvW

I have visited France, including Normandy, many times and own ( among others)the D700 and the 35-105 Nikon  lens that you have.  Nikon has better cameras and lenses now, but unless you are a pixel peeper or a fanatic, the D700/35-105 combination will be more than adequate. A VR (vibration reduction)lens like the 24-120 f 4.0 Nikon lens might be sharper due to its stability , but if you keep your ISO above 400 and shoot at f 5.6 or higher (smaller aperture), you will have super images. Film limitations(max 36 exp per roll), processing locations, X-ray film exposure going through airport x-ray scanners, cost, etc. in my opinion preclude film use.  I sold all my film cameras (F5, etc.) years ago.  You will improve your color images if you use a circular polarizer with that ( or any lens) du ring the day when appropriate. Take enough digital memory cardsfor thousands of images. When you are inside castles, churches,. etc. you can increase your ISO enough to get excellent images without flash. Keep your camera in a plain(non-photo appearing) over the shulder bag when not in use, and lock it in your suitcase in your hotel when you are out of the room.  Thefts and street crime have increased throughout Europe, associated with the huge number of refugees.

Stan