Equipment suggestions for upcoming trip

PaulDardeau

Hi all,

Brand new to the site. My wife and I will be going on a 7-day trip to France in 6 weeks and I'm having trouble deciding which photography gear to take with me. A big part of it is film vs. digital. Here are the options that I'm considering. I have 2x Nikon F2 35mm film cameras. I can take 0, 1, or both. My wife and I have both been to Paris multiple times and seen the big attractions. We're also going to Normandy, which will be first for both of us. I plan to shoot a lot at Normandy.

What are your thoughts or suggestions? Many thanks in advance!

-paul

Here are the Nikkor (Nikon F) lenses that I already own:

Nikkor 50mm prime f/1.4 (2 of these)

Nikkor 35-105mm zoom (planning to use this lens if I bring a Nikon)

Nikkor 35-70mm zoom

Vivitar Series1 70-210mm zoom (NOT planning to take -- too big)

Nikon F2 (35mm film) black body

+ I already own it

+ Very familiar with F2

+ No batteries required (and no menus!)

- ISO fixed with film loaded

- Haven't verified that it doesn't have light leaks

- Haven't verified that light meter is accurate (not critical; I'm pretty comfortable shooting with sunny-16)

Nikon F2 (35mm film) chrome body

+ I already own it

+ Very familiar with F2

+ No batteries required (and no menus!)

- ISO fixed with film loaded

- Haven't verified that it doesn't have light leaks

- Haven't verified that light meter is accurate (not critical; I'm pretty comfortable shooting sunny-16)

Canon T2i (digital) with kit lens

+ I already own it

- Hate using it (I despise using any menu on a camera)

- Cannot use any of my Nikkor lenses (not planning to buy any more Canon lenses)

Canon PowerShot G9 12.1 megapixel (to use when bigger camera(s) is in hotel room; e.g., going out to dinner)

+ Just bought it on FB Marketplace (haven't received it yet)

+ Compact

+ Dials/controls for quick changes (without needing menu)

+ ISO can be varied between shots (true for all digital)

- Never used one

Nikon D700 (digital)

+ Have read many testimonials about fantastic sensor and great ergonomics (minimal reliance on menus; have buttons)

+ Can use my existing MF Nikkor lenses

+ ISO can be varied between shots (true for all digital)

- Big and heavy (even compared to Nikon F2; D700 body with battery is about 1074 grams)

- Never used it

- Would need to buy it (about $400)

Nikon F3HP (35mm film)

+ Have read many testimonials about great ergonomics and build quality

+ Can use my existing MF Nikkor lenses

+ Have read that HP viewfinder is fantastic for those who wear eyeglasses (I do)

- Never used it

- Would need to buy it ($300-$400)

Most/Heaviest Gear Load-out Option

2x Nikon F2 cameras (1 with 35-105mm zoom [lower ISO film]; 1 with 50mm prime [higher ISO film])

1x Canon PowerShot G9

Least/Lightest Gear Load-out Option

1x Canon PowerShot G9 compact digital

All digital in-between Option

1x Nikon D700 with 35-105mm zoom

Film and digital in-between Option

1x Nikon F2 with 35-105mm zoom

Just a few thoughts and questions.  Are those AF or MF lenses?  If manual focus, is there any information on how they would work on a D700?  Generally, most AF camera viewfinders are optimized for brightness and not as easy to focus as your F2.  

You have 6 weeks to shoot with the G9, so you could become familiar with it before you leave.  While the PowerShot cameras were well regarded in their day, it is still a 15 year old, small sensor CCD, which will have limited high ISO and dynamic range compared with a modern large sensor camera.  I am sure that a current generation smartphone would outperform it, though it may not be as entertaining to use.

For me, I would go with the D700 + PowerShot (assuming you have AF lenses).  If film is a must, the F2 + PowerShot.  You may want to research CT scanning at airport security, and its potential impact on film.  TSA may allow a hand check of film going (assuming you are leaving from the US), but it may not happen when you depart Paris. 

Edited by Ken Katz

4 hours ago, PaulDardeau said:

Have read many testimonials about fantastic sensor

Not all that great by today's standards.

4 hours ago, PaulDardeau said:

Have read that HP viewfinder is fantastic for those who wear eyeglasses

At the expense of a lower magnification.

None of the options you list appeal to me. How about getting a mirrorless camera (like a Nikon Z5)? Especially for manual focusing, the EVF and the available instant magnification are of great help (I have not checked that the Z5 provides that feature but assume that it does).

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply Dieter!

Thank you for mentioning the Nikon Z5. I have heard good things about the Z series. However, in my case, that's a very expensive option and beyond what I'm able to spend on photo gear. I need to keep my expenses under $1000 USD (preferably far below).

By the way, my comment about the D700 sensor is not at all about its clarity (after all, it's a 12.1 mega-pixel sensor on a camera introduced in 2008). The appeal of the D700 sensor is its color profile and absence of great clarity (giving it a more film-like look).

One of the other considerations I didn't mention in my original post -- I don't do any post-processing at all. I don't own LR and am not interested in any digital post-processing. I suppose this (along with my assortment of existing film gear and MF lenses) leaves me with somewhat of a bias towards film (for better or worse).

1 hour ago, PaulDardeau said:

However, in my case, that's a very expensive option and beyond what I'm able to spend on photo gear. I need to keep my expenses under $1000 USD

If you don't mind having a non-Nikon camera, a Sony A7 or preferably A7II (main difference to the A7 is IBIS) could fit the bill. Since there is no communication between lens and camera, the brand of the camera or lens doesn't matter. Two issues with those early generation Sony mirrorless cameras: a not very intuitive menu system and small capacity batteries.

Too many cameras, too many choices.

Along with much of the rest of the world, I took my last film camera trip in 2004. I found traveling with film too problematic and have gone digital ever since.

YMMV

In any case, choose one type of camera and a compatible wide to telephoto lens tranche. Keep it light.

I love and collect old film cameras, but I shoot them for fun close to home.

Edited by JDMvW
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AlanKlein said:

You didn't say what you will do with the results.  I make slide shows that I project on my 4K TV or monitor. So a small digital camera that I pocket is great when I travel.  No carrying all that heavy equipment and I can enjoy the travelling without being burdened.  

Good point Alan! I don't know yet. I have to add that to my current thinking and planning. Thanks for your input.

Another thought.  My wife doesn;t like when I get distracted on vacation and traveling shooting all the time.  So keeping her happy and us not fighting was also part of my decision making.  So a small digital camera I can keep in my pocket handy for shooting short videos clips as well as photos off the cuff became important. 

I also set my photos to shoot 16:9 to match the video clip format of 16:9.  That way when I make "slide shows" to show, both photos as well as the video clips fill up the 16:9 monitor or TV screen. There are no black bands on the side of the TV screens for the still photo shots. 

Edited by AlanKlein

First huge question: What are the results supposed to be? I'd hate to either pay (IMHO too much) for files / CDs from my photo finisher (assuming we are talking a color film workflow) or spend time scanning. 

The D700 seems like a bad idea to me. Full disclosure: I am no Nikon guy. But focusing manual heritage lenses seems to suck on almost all AF DSLRs. There is nothing wrong with not liking / having Lightroom, either use Picasa, Darktable, RAWtherapee instead or become EXTREMELY(!) familiar with your vintage camera (including its menus!) to get your straight out of camera JPEGs right. Some wedding shooters and journalists maybe managed that, I did not. Shooting RAW + JPEG I 'd usually end tweaking the RAW, if I care about an image. 

Maybe you 'll be better off with the Powershot's results? Try before you 'll fly! So far the only cameras making me forget about RAWs and their post processing were iPhones and Fujis. YMMV. 

If your T2i came with an IS kit zoom, it would be my prefered choice in your collection. I am not familiar with it (a 5D IV is my first and so far only Canon), aware that AF spot selecting will suck, fully aware that bottom end consumer bodies' ergonomics were made to suck but all in all it should be kind of shootable. It also provides a slightly wider end than your 35-x zooms, which I'd appreciate. 

If you get along with F2s, despite wearing glasses: Stick to them. How do you live "works without batteries"? Decent Gossen or Seconic? Or just sunny 16 for slide film?

IMO, the F3HP is one of the best cameras ever built. OTOH, we're talking rather old cameras and you can expect to have service issues like stiff aperture followers and bad LCDs. Also, check your lenses for oily apertures and fungus- shine a penlight through from the back. Traveling with film is probably troublesome and risky these days. I love the Z cameras but if you hate menus, you may not be a fan. You need to like menus! They're big and bulky compared to an F3HP and MF lenses. It might be that your best bet is to upgrade your cell phone to one of the latest models. In all honesty it's getting hard to compete with them.

I don't know where you live and how you are going to Paris.  But . . .

My experience with TSA security in the US, was such that I will no longer take film on a plane. 
The TSA agent opened everything including sealed film pouches, and had I not yelled STOP, she was going to unroll my film, to make sure it was film.  sigh

Use whatever you are most comfortable with.
Carry as little as you can.  For ME, weight and bulk makes a difference.  Yes you will have to compromise.

F2 + 35-105 + 50/1.4
I shot with 64 or 100 speed film.

Have your wife carry the G9.

If you are not certain of the condition of the gear, send it in for a CLA. 
You don't want the camera shooting at the wrong exposure because the old lube is stiff.

On 10/23/2022 at 7:52 PM, Jochen1664876637 said:

First huge question: What are the results supposed to be? I'd hate to either pay (IMHO too much) for files / CDs from my photo finisher (assuming we are talking a color film workflow) or spend time scanning. 

The D700 seems like a bad idea to me. Full disclosure: I am no Nikon guy. But focusing manual heritage lenses seems to suck on almost all AF DSLRs. There is nothing wrong with not liking / having Lightroom, either use Picasa, Darktable, RAWtherapee instead or become EXTREMELY(!) familiar with your vintage camera (including its menus!) to get your straight out of camera JPEGs right. Some wedding shooters and journalists maybe managed that, I did not. Shooting RAW + JPEG I 'd usually end tweaking the RAW, if I care about an image. 

Maybe you 'll be better off with the Powershot's results? Try before you 'll fly! So far the only cameras making me forget about RAWs and their post processing were iPhones and Fujis. YMMV. 

If your T2i came with an IS kit zoom, it would be my prefered choice in your collection. I am not familiar with it (a 5D IV is my first and so far only Canon), aware that AF spot selecting will suck, fully aware that bottom end consumer bodies' ergonomics were made to suck but all in all it should be kind of shootable. It also provides a slightly wider end than your 35-x zooms, which I'd appreciate. 

If you get along with F2s, despite wearing glasses: Stick to them. How do you live "works without batteries"? Decent Gossen or Seconic? Or just sunny 16 for slide film?

Good input! I'm expecting (wanting) decent photos, but not professional grade.

I read in a number of places that MF lenses on AF DSLRs is not the best combination. I've also eliminated the D700 due to its size and weight.

My wife and I are currently on a trip to southern New Mexico and I brought all of my photo gear that I still consider as possible choices for France trip. I'm viewing it as my 'test run' to see what works and what doesn't.

I'm testing out the Powershot now. So far, I really like the ergonomics of it. I like the size, weight, and feel of it. All of my photos with the Powershot have been indoors so far, so I've yet to see how well it does outdoors. I'm quite sure I'll take it to France, if nothing else than for snapshots.

My T2i does have the IS kit lens (18-55mm). One of the big plusses for it is that there's quite of bit of overlap in the use of the Powershot and the T2i (both being from Canon and about the same age). You're right -- my Canon kit lens does go wider (18mm) than my MF Nikkor (35mm).

My comment about LR and post-processing was not meant to be a criticism of LR. Instead, it's more about in my mind a computer is not part of my photography workflow.

There are a few reasons why the F2 still ranks so high in my book: (1) my first 35mm camera was a used Nikkormat FT2 that I got in 1980. It's very similar in "feel" to the F2 (at least compared to my other options). I was in high school at the time and took many photos with it for the school yearbook and also working for the local newspaper. Right or wrong, it's what photography is supposed to feel like for me. (2) I absolutely love the F2 -- the looks, the ruggedness, the simplicity, and the feel of using it. (3) I have 2 of them and a small assortment of lenses. Using them is 2nd nature to me (no need to learn how to use).

Were any of you brought up on film photography and then made the switch to digital? If so, did it take a while for you to get comfortable with it?

On the lack of battery necessity -- no, I don't use any separate light meters. Mostly I use either sunny 16 or 'feel' (intuition). I also have a Pentax 6x7 medium format camera that has no light meter. It's an odd one in that it requires a battery for the shutter to work, but you're on your own for determining exposure settings. It's not a contender for my France trip due to size and weight.

One of the things that I didn't mention (and is probably relevant) is that I went on a trip to Paris about 7 or 8 years ago and I only took a Canon Rebel XS DSLR with 18-55mm kit lens. I got some decent photos with it, but it was *so* uninspiring to use. A few years ago, I bought the Canon T2i body to experiment with videos. I don't plan to do many (if any) videos on the upcoming trip. Video is really not my thing.

3 hours ago, PaulDardeau said:

Good suggestion. I could see how that would work for some, but my cell phone is old (Moto X4) and is on its last leg (and very low on storage space).

It is time to upgrade. The Pixel 6a is now on sale for $299 (US) . The phone is unlocked. When you get to Europe, pick up a SIM at the airport and you now have economical cell service in Europe and a local cell number as well as an excellent camera that will GPS stamp your images. 

AmazonSmile: Google Pixel 6a - 5G Android Phone - Unlocked Smartphone with 12 Megapixel Camera and 24-Hour Battery - Charcoal : Cell Phones & Accessories

I am sure there are other vendors that have the same price.

My wife has the Pixel 3a and took it to Europe when she visited family and friends. It worked perfectly and she came back with some good images.

• Like 1

Which is easier to carry, a battery which can produce 600 exposures, or 16 rolls of film (approx cost with processing, $320). My last film cameras, a Nikon F100 and F5, went through a lot of batteries. My sweet little F3HP was sparing in that respect.

I spend a lot of time deciding what camera gear to take on a trip. I'm finding it more productive to consider what I'm likely to use, and more important, how will I carry it in use. More often than not, I put 3-4 prime lenses in a fanny pack with another lens on a camera around my neck (or shoulder). A cross-shoulder strap is a lot more comfortable to use, even with a heavy zoom lens (which is likely to stay behind, at home or in the car or hotel.

8 hours ago, bgelfand said:

It is time to upgrade. The Pixel 6a is now on sale for $299 (US) . The phone is unlocked. When you get to Europe, pick up a SIM at the airport and you now have economical cell service in Europe and a local cell number as well as an excellent camera that will GPS stamp your images. 

AmazonSmile: Google Pixel 6a - 5G Android Phone - Unlocked Smartphone with 12 Megapixel Camera and 24-Hour Battery - Charcoal : Cell Phones & Accessories

I am sure there are other vendors that have the same price.

My wife has the Pixel 3a and took it to Europe when she visited family and friends. It worked perfectly and she came back with some good images.

Thank you for this recommendation. I think I'll likely take your suggestion and buy it.

7 hours ago, Ed_Ingold said:

Which is easier to carry, a battery which can produce 600 exposures, or 16 rolls of film (approx cost with processing, $320). My last film cameras, a Nikon F100 and F5, went through a lot of batteries. My sweet little F3HP was sparing in that respect.

I spend a lot of time deciding what camera gear to take on a trip. I'm finding it more productive to consider what I'm likely to use, and more important, how will I carry it in use. More often than not, I put 3-4 prime lenses in a fanny pack with another lens on a camera around my neck (or shoulder). A cross-shoulder strap is a lot more comfortable to use, even with a heavy zoom lens (which is likely to stay behind, at home or in the car or hotel.

That's a good point. If I found a digital camera that was comfortable to use (and not uninspiring), I'd be happy to go that route.