Need my 16 yrs old membership back, please !

Minox

To whom it may concern!

I have been a member since 2006, and enjoyed this site for as long as it lasted (that is, until it was modified). Suddenly, my user/pass were not recognized anymore. I have sent at least 2 messages to the administrators, via contact here, but no luck, got no reply.

Anyways, I am trying to sort this issue by writing here, and to this purpose I had to sign up again, obviously with different nick, etc. It should not be necessary to do this, or recourse to cloak and dagger stuff.

Guys, one of the reasons one remains true to a forum over the years is that one accumulates friends and credibility, among others. I see no reason to be deprived of all these, because of a glitch of some poxy software. 

Can anyone here redress the situation? I can be pm'd for any other details, if need be. Thank you !

My Minox journey continues...

www.juliantanase.com

Apart from Post Meridiem and Prime Minister, I am not sure what PM proposed by NHSN stands for, but I think that several of us are in the same situation .. for the moment (20 years + membership), I am a born again PN member with an empty file.  I am cautiously optimistic that things will sort out eventually  ..  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty upset as well about the stealth upgrade to Photonet. Have been a member since 2011 - now I see all of my galleries have been nuked & my images are just in a random pile.

I do not have any issues with the need to upgrade the website - I understand that security holes & other things need to be fixed. [I myself have written code since the late 1970s so I totally get that.] Here is what I absolutely do not get: the arrogance of those who have chosen to inflict the changes on us. No warning. No email announcement. NADA. You could have given us some time to make screen shots of galleries etc. so we might have at least been able to salvage something from this website. And there is still no response to complaints either - so why even put it on the banner of the website. The silence has been deafening, to put it mildly. I am not sure I understand the sentiment of the thanks for 'following us to the new website'. I did not know I had a choice. Am seriously thinking of deleting my Pro account & finally creating my own photographic website.

The lack of mindfulness by those who I call 'techbros' seems to be the new normal at the moment. I just deleted my Twitter account [which I have had since 2015], 1 week after Musk's disastrous takeover. It has been 3 weeks & it is slowly imploding. Then DuoLingo decided to 'upgrade' & nuke the learning profiles of all of its users - I lost what I had accumulated since 2016. I just deleted my account from there also. And now it looks like Photonet has caught the same disease... the contempt for the users of the website is really palpable.

• Like 1

I am a member since 2001. I remember when Phil Greenspun was still running the site himself. I had a number of interesting exchanges with him. These days I only check in every once in a blue moon. I had no trouble logging in right now, but I had a ton of photos uploaded to the site. With the change in software, I assume they are gone? Does anyone know?

It's a shame how all the original Internet Forums have been sold. Photo.net is one of the very early sites on the Internet, and at some stage it had a very loyal fan community. People who hung out in certain Forums every day, and were very welcoming to newcomers. No question was too trivial to get a serious response. Just like a town square where people could hang out and discuss anything, even stuff not related to photography. Now this town square - like most parts of our lives - has suffered a corporate takeover.

I see them. Go to your profile page, in the tab called Images:

https://www.photo.net/profile/91329-fmueller/?tab=node_photonetgallery_galleryImages

When I first got to that, I saw no images, but there are page-numbers at the top, so there must be pages of something.

Also, at the top right, there are three icons: 'View as thumbnails', 'View as large preview' and 'View as list'. Click on one, and the pictures should display.

Edited by Dustin McAmera
typo
  • Excellent! 1

In a way I am glad to have found this thread as I thought it may just be me having problems. I have been a member for about 10 years or so and only recently logged on to find the "new" site. Unfortunately my email address and password don't seem to work (I have no idea how I logged on but I think if I ever log out, I will never get back in again) and, like others, I don't really want to reregister and loose my account with its links to old posts etc, not to mention the few photos that are (or where) on my gallery.

If there is any chance of sorting this out, I am sure many people would be very grateful.

I still can log in and found that all my galleries are gone. I had some hidden one that only I can see/access. Now, some of the

images are piled up in a large holding tank with may pages.  I've been around PN for at least 10+ years and I think my 

membership is probably up for renewal and I can not even find where to renew if I want to (big IF). I retired from working

for a big software company for almost 30 years and I find the stealthy upgrade so utterly unprofessional.

46 minutes ago, tm_j said:

I still can log in and found that all my galleries are gone. I had some hidden one that only I can see/access. Now, some of the

images are piled up in a large holding tank with may pages.  I've been around PN for at least 10+ years and I think my 

membership is probably up for renewal and I can not even find where to renew if I want to (big IF). I retired from working

for a big software company for almost 30 years and I find the stealthy upgrade so utterly unprofessional.

The plans were announced.  Apparently not a lot of available resources nor income to justify large expenditure. We will see what happens after the Holiday.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sandy Vongries said:

The plans were announced.  Apparently not a lot of available resources nor income to justify large expenditure. We will see what happens after the Holiday.

Sandy, there is always a positive side and I do wish to underline that. If the site has been taken over, it is to save it and I am grateful, truly.

However why fix something that isn’t broken. I spent 20 years (others too) painstakingly placing photos in different categories (galleries, portfolios). They are gone and I can no longer refer to them.  And what is with this grading of members, we are adults here. Do we really need to be promised points, medals or whatever, in order to participate more … if at least it was a box of chocolates!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a lifetime membership many years ago, but I guess that got nuked.  Now I have no idea how to find any of the pictures I posted.

I wouldn’t really care, new Management and all that so they can decide what a “lifetime membership” means, except that my computer had a disc crash so all of those photos are toast, and photo.net is the only place I could look at them.

For the few last years, I couldn’t even download copies of my own pictures that I uploaded, which was annoying. 

I would be happy if I could see them once again and download at least some of them, as they are pictures I took, but I have no idea how to do so.  There are pictures that I would like to keep as mementos. As far as I know, I still retain the copyright, so I don’t know why I can’t download my own photos.

If I have to pay for an additional membership, then fine, but please tell me how to get my photos back.

Spell it out in a simple-minded, step-by-step FAQ please, as I can’t find a link that helps.

Edited by gwen_shafer
Typo