Andy Warhol goes to the Supreme Court...

Another challenge to the Fair Use Doctrine, this time involving silk screens prints of Prince, produced by Warhol.  

Numerous photographers (myself included) photograph objects created by others.  We then 're-imagine' them to our seeing of a print.  It seems to me that if this case is ruled in favor of the supplicant (pun intended), then we are on the dreaded "slippery slope" of being sued for using artistic license--aka 'derivative products.'

What are your thoughts?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/12/politics/andy-warhol-prince-supreme-court/index.html

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

I think Marilyn suing Warhol would nip this litigiousness in the bud. 

Personally and completely out of court, when it comes to photos I’ve made and display with others’ art as the subject, I give a credit to the original artist. I see those as collaborations. I try to do enough with that subject to feel I’ve made something new out of it. Otherwise I wouldn’t bother. Many photos of art do that. The ones that seem only to be relying on the original artwork for their raison d’être bug me. But I don’t advocate suing … just post a mean tweet about it. 📸

• Like 1

"You talkin' to me?"

• 7 months later...

Art is anything you can get away with. —Andy Warhol

Andy might be amused. Turns out he didn’t get way with it. His above declaration, in light of the Supreme Court ruling, strips his very own Prince silkscreens of their status as art. He has the last word.

"You talkin' to me?"

• 2 weeks later...

imo This case was pushing the limits ..... copyright infringement. That's Andy! But the difficulty in being able to have a clear line not to cross does endanger some artists. That is a concern but i doubt it will discourage any but the most financially successful artists and encourage the litigious minded. Also this is the kind of question that some artists love to say F>U.

fholepool.jpg.aba91ca0b0e686f7e865f576696ae2c5.jpg

MR

n e y e

2 hours ago, inoneeye said:

MR

Copyright infringement as double entendre. “Thieving” from Jean-Augusta-Dominique Ingres via the f-hole instrumentation of MR.

Plucky.

Blurring the visuals and the lines.

Making it yours.

• On Point 1

"You talkin' to me?"

5 hours ago, inoneeye said:

imo This case was pushing the limits ..... copyright infringement. That's Andy! But the difficulty in being able to have a clear line not to cross does endanger some artists. That is a concern but i doubt it will discourage any but the most financially successful artists and encourage the litigious minded. Also this is the kind of question that some artists love to say F>U.

fholepool.jpg.aba91ca0b0e686f7e865f576696ae2c5.jpg

MR

I knew a woman who was a photo student when I was who had that as a tattoo on her back. I hope Man Ray stayed one of her faves!  Hmmm, now I think of it, I wonder if tattoo artist have to pay royalties?

Edited by httpwww.photo.netbarry

Sometime back Kat Von d a well known tattoo artist was sued for using a recognizable photo of Miles Davis. I don’t know how it turned out. I don’t think it has been decided yet. I just did a quick search and the most current news that showed up said the case was waiting for the Warhol case to be decided.

n e y e

12 hours ago, httpwww.photo.netbarry said:

I knew a woman who was a photo student when I was who had that as a tattoo on her back. I hope Man Ray stayed one of her faves!  Hmmm, now I think of it, I wonder if tattoo artist have to pay royalties?

11 hours ago, inoneeye said:

Sometime back Kat Von d a well known tattoo artist was sued for using a recognizable photo of Miles Davis. I don’t know how it turned out. I don’t think it has been decided yet. I just did a quick search and the most current news that showed up said the case was waiting for the Warhol case to be decided.

Probably Yes.  

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 days ago
“Kat Von D, a celebrity tattoo artist, won a legal battle in federal court Friday when a jury ruled unanimously that her reproduction of a photo of celebrated jazz musician Miles Davis in a tattoo did not violate copyright law.”

Edited by inoneeye
  • Like 1

n e y e