State of Relaunch, State of Mind

Sandy Vongries

Relax, everyone. If you can’t post photos now, trust that you’ll be able to do so soon. We were just respectfully advised that things are being ironed out as an ongoing matter. May I suggest, if you’re unable to post photos for a few days, you take a walk, call an old friend, watch Netflix, clean your house, or do something you’ve been putting off. It will all come together. Not posting photos to a website that’s in transition doesn’t have to be the end of the world. It could even be an opportunity!

Edited by samstevens
  • Like 2

"You talkin' to me?"

1 hour ago, Sandy Vongries said:

I don't know what you can see or do, I can go to attachments, select one and delete it then confirm that I want to delete and it is gone.

That would be time consuming but worth a try. I've been through the attachment page and elsewhere in settings, and don't think there's a way with the site edition I've got here that any delete function is available.

Deleting enough attachments to get below my 171% overage, in hopes that would free up the posting ability is a WAG anyway. Likely I'll just have to wait for the charge sheet to finally come available and decide what I want to do.

Why do I say things...

36 minutes ago, Sandy Vongries said:

I don't know what you can see or do, I can go to attachments, select one and delete it then confirm that I want to delete and it is gone.

Well, Sandy, I've amassed 3.6GB of attachments and I can't remove one of them - or join the ranks of the PROs - or post a file. And people are complaining about being called a Newbie! Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about - I'm a version 2 survivor😃 Rant over.

2 minutes ago, Bill Snell said:

Well, Sandy, I've amassed 3.6GB of attachments and I can't remove one of them - or join the ranks of the PROs - or post a file. And people are complaining about being called a Newbie! Don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about - I'm a version 2 survivor😃 Rant over.

My darkly cynical guess is that fiverrr has set the arbitrary attachment number limit to use as a basis for a paywall to establish charges for various levels of participation, including one's past participation.

Not a problem, just post the damn thing for decision making and lets move on!

Why do I say things...

4 minutes ago, Bill Snell said:

Sorry, this time around we are being told what is happening and I am able to reach someone who is working on the transition.  This is a good platform and when they get it fully switched on and fine tuned I believe everyone or at least most, will be pleased. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ericphelps said:

My darkly cynical guess is that fiverrr has set the arbitrary attachment number limit to use as a basis for a paywall to establish charges for various levels of participation, including one's past participation.

Not a problem, just post the damn thing for decision making and lets move on!

Haven't a clue, I'm not in on the plan.  This isn't a simple procedure.  Those few with experience with this kind of thing seem to think it is going well with the resources available.  I pay for a few sites I use, even when there is no apparent advantage to being a member, simply supporting sites I enjoy.  It doesn't come to much.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ericphelps said:

Naaa. The default settings just hadn't been updated to "unlimited". But that's not a bad idea at all. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Excellent! 1

2 hours ago, ericphelps said:

Now can anyone on the staff advise us how to delete our saved elsewhere attachments, and will that happy deletion permit us to once again post photos here?

Updated the setting. You should be able too now. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent! 1

20 minutes ago, Sandy Vongries said:

Haven't a clue, I'm not in on the plan.  This isn't a simple procedure.  Those few with experience with this kind of thing seem to think it is going well with the resources available.  I pay for a few sites I use, even when there is no apparent advantage to being a member, simply supporting sites I enjoy.  It doesn't come to much.

I have an idea - set up a new membership in wife's name and start again? The spammers have no problems.

17 minutes ago, mjensen said:

The default settings just hadn't been updated to "unlimited".

Not surprising. That’s what many of us assumed. Patience sometimes pays off, and this didn’t require much. Thanks for addressing it so soon. Now, about making me emperor instead of apprentice, how’s that going?! 🙂

Edited by samstevens
  • Very Nice 1

"You talkin' to me?"

Ch ch ch changes!  Things are indeed coming together, and besides who ever heard of a photo site that wont let anyone post photos?

Here's a drag-n-drop Polaroid which I shot a pic of with my phone- from a trip to Maine last month. 

FP100c, Hasselblad 500cm, i THINK this was the 250mm Sonnar?

P1010008.jpeg

Edited by Ricochetrider

I first came to PN in 2008 and this site was revamped in about 2013?  I never liked the change; it was difficult to navigate and there was a mass exodus of many of my friends because of the change. I'm hoping the new web design will be more user friendly.

28 minutes ago, samstevens said:

PN experimenting with a little dada.

Ricochetrider said this in an earlier post: "and got a mssg saying “only httpS urls allowed

Older computers may not be able to process httpS, it's the new more secure version of plain http

Photo.net will probably make the necessary tweak for older operating systems, I don't really know, I'm not tech savvy, I only know that my new M1 Mac with Monterey is set up to deal http"S", and I'll quite often get a message for other sites: "The page you have clicked on is not httpS, click this button for http" ... well, words to that effect. So far I've had no trouble with this new PN, touch wood.

2 minutes ago, TPiorkowski said:

This is a very frustrating migration, I can't even find my gallery, not very well thought out.

I’m not finding it frustrating because admin notified us in advance that the galleries, which are data intensive, would take a while to migrate. Since the new site came online, admin has further informed us that the migration is continuing. Many quirks have already been ironed out and with only relatively minor hiccups continuing, the forum side of the site is functioning well and is an improvement over the old site. This has certainly been a smoother transition than the one we experienced several years ago.

I know we live in a world where everything is supposed to happen at the snap of a finger and attention spans are limited to 30-second sound bites. But, given the migration success so far, I’m perfectly content to wait for the galleries to reappear, even if it takes a couple of weeks. Patience helps. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent! 1

"You talkin' to me?"