Anybody here from Florida?

Sanford

Although I no longer reside there, 33 years of my life were spent experiencing the West Coast from Charlotte Harbor to Tampa Bay. From the 60s through the 90s, I saw my fair share of horriblecanes. I talked with those that had lived through large ones, especially the 1921 storm. Similar to now, it sucked the water out of the Manatee River. In that one though, islands disappeared and coastlines altered.

My oldest friend of youth still lives there and works for the Florida Department of Transportation. They are pretty busy right now. A sister-in-law is located in the Villages in central Florida. The latter contracted over a hundred utility trucks to proactively prepare for any power losses and restoration.

For all of it, modern building codes saved a lot--and it did not turn into Puerto Rico. That causeway that washed out leading to Sanibel Island? It dated back to the 40s...

• Like 1

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

I am originally from Florida, but have lived in Upstate NY for 53 years. When I retired, people asked if I planned to move to Florida. I told them that I considered Florida to be too hot, too humid, with too many insects, old people, and hurricanes.

Having lived through a few hurricanes growing up, I do feel for the folks down there. But frankly, I'd rather deal with snow.

• Like 1

I am originally from Florida, but have lived in Upstate NY for 53 years. When I retired, people asked if I planned to move to Florida. I told them that I considered Florida to be too hot, too humid, with too many insects, old people, and hurricanes.

Having lived through a few hurricanes growing up, I do feel for the folks down there. But frankly, I'd rather deal with snow.

If I remember correctly, Sandy hurt the Catskills Mountains a lot with all that rain. I know lower Manhattan flooded out. I sped from the 59th street bridge to the financial area downtown with no traffic lights on 2nd Avenue right afterward.

I live in Jacksonville FL, in the same house since 1978. I am across the street from the Ortega river as it runs into the St Johns. Rain from Central FL is making its way north to the ocean via the St Johns. The park across the street that is on the Ortega river is flooded about 150ft from the river. We did not have much rain where I am, about 30 miles from the ocean. I watched the radar and bands of rain dumped there load in the Atlantic and the coastal areas like Jacksonville Beach. The new Jacksonville beach pier is fine being a concrete structure. Now we are expecting sunny days for the next week with high/low about 85/65.
  • Like 1

If the traffic signals are out, the intersection is treated as a four-way stop.

I didn't even realize the traffic lights were out for about a mile. When I drove, there were practically no cars out on the street. I was wondering why cross traffic was pulling out from time to time. No, I didn't stop at each corner, just sped all the way.