Fuji 6X8 digital solution

david_lau4

• 4 weeks later...

David, are you asking if there are any sensors that measure 6x8 cm? I believe the answer is no. Sensors in MF digi backs today are smaller than 6x4.5 cm. The new Mamiya ZD has a sensor that measures 36x48 mm.

There are some ways around that. There are "scanning" backs that scan the image area. These are even made for 4x5 view cameras. Of course, the scan takes time, on the order of a minute or more if I remember, and the subject must remain stationary. And I once saw a "stitching" back for the GX680. It held a digi back that could be moved laterally. After one half of the 6x8 image area was imaged, the back was moved and the other half was captured. The two images could be stitched together by software later.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

No such thing! But if you want that much data, do what MF does best and shoot film at

full 6x8 size and then wet-scan with a Nikon LS9000. A 6x8 image has almost 120 Mpix

of data at 4000 ppi. No digital back on the market now, or in the next several years, will

even come close to that.

Also, because the LS9000 is a multi-sampling, LED scanner (as opposed to a single pass,

white light scanner), scanning chromes gives you an RGB value at each pixel in lieu of a

mosiac of single values where the other two must be calculated from (possible noisy)

neighboring pixels.

I have an Aptus 22 that shoots beautiful images, but not to compare with a quality scan of

a good chrome. It's a bit more work, and requires a bit more craft, but the difference is

obvious when making large prints. But that's the whole purpose of MF in the first place.

• 1 month later...

I use my Fuji for "fashion" and portraits, so stitching isnt really an option. The main reason

for having a back that covers 6X8 is so that I can make full use of my 6 lens. If I use any of

the backs today I suddenly dont have any wide angles any more, such a a shame. The way I

have been getting around this is shooting on to film then scanning. Guess thats the best of

both worlds. 90% of what I shoot these days are on the canon 1DS MKII. I dont think a 6x8

back will materialise, ever. But going to the Lab and looking at my contact sheets still make

my hairs stand on end.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

The is suppose to be this 5x4 lens adapter plate, you can team that up with another adapter plate for the digi back with a V

fit mount. Then you might as well use a 5x4 view camera. just dont want to let my Fuji's go. They are great cameras.

• 1 year later...

<p>I agree with Barry about his point on getting the best from both worlds, shooting on film and scanning to digital later, but disagree on using a scanner like the Nikon or any other "flat" consumer scannes.<br>

To achive optimum quality, your 6x8 shuld be transfered into the digial world by a professional high quality scanner like an Imacon. These used to sell for aorund USD 15.000,- (!) but many are now becomming available on the second hand market, or you could have you scans done at any professional facility house, paying only by the hour or per job.<br>

The files will be HUGE, and so hefty computerpower is strongly advisable for your postproduction !<br>

Best of luck ;-)</p>

<p>Marco/</p>

<div>00TvDf-154105584.thumb.jpg.adf99ae8650350abbf75fefc535883da.jpg</div>