Nikon Wednesday 2022: #37

Matt Laur

Note: In the interests of balancing performance and quality, the topic of image file size and dimensions as normally posted to this recurring thread is under discussion elsewhere in the Nikon forum (the topic is obvious when you look) - please check in there and comment if you have thoughts to share! That's the best place to talk about that particular topic. For now, consider keeping uploads no larger than 1600 pixels on the long side when it matters, and sticking with 1000 pixels when the image feels no pain at that resolution. On data size/compression, try to keep things under 1mb, shooting for 600kb when you can stop there. Note that this includes photos hosted off-site (at Flickr, Photobucket, your own site, etc). Are you new to this thread? The general guidelines for these Wednesday threads are right here:
. For now, we're sticking with 1, 2, or 3 images per week as you see fit.

Thanks to Shun for kicking things off last week. I was hip deep in revisiting the files from an earlier shoot. I wonder sometimes at the gargantuan amount of storage and backup space I consume just so I can have stuff I shot some time in the past right at my fingertips. And then, a client says they're working on their annual report and can I render a bunch of images in a different way/shape/etc. Of course! What's another few TB of layered PSD files lurking around forever, right? A good Nikon Wednesday to all while I go back to a series of factory shots. Share some photos!

2022-09-14_factory_microscope.thumb.jpg.a23dcfdf65eade5a85441274acb63bba.jpg

• Like 5

At 1/100 the prop disc was ... err... a disc!

That's the ultimate goal - getting a full disc. Usually not possible with a plane in flight; only stationary on the ground. 1/100s requires exceptional skill in panning to maintain a sharp plane. 1/500s is too fast - that gets a barely blurred prop.It also depends on which way the plane is oriented with regards to the sensor plane. My go-to "safe" speed is 1/320s; I go to 1/160s or even 1/125 if I feel lucky. 1/100 or even 1/60 is my goal but the hit rate drops dramatically.

1/125s

45184987672_8f1a862d0a_b.jpgCurtis P-40N Kittyhawk IV

1/160s

40591722874_e3058579e2_b.jpgCorsair F4U-4, Dan Friedkin

1/320s

34442949371_627fec8c8c_b.jpgP-51D Mustang "Straw Boss 2" "Little Sandra"

I'm guessing with rotational speed, halving the shutter speed.....doubles the prop sweep angle?

Sounds right; depends, of course, on the prop speed as that's not a constant for the planes going by.

• Like 5