New Computer

I have to buy a new computer soon , my present one is old and no longer working reliably.

All up-to-date new Windows computers are pre-loaded with Windows 11.

Windows 11 apparently requires one to have a Microsoft Account and an Internet connection before it can be activated , I am NOT happy with this.

Is there any way that W11 can be activated without a Microsoft Account , Microsoft has apparently blocked all known ways of activation without a Microsoft Account.

Or should I switch over to a Macbook.

Another alternative is Linux , but I unfortunately know nothing about the Linux Operating system.

Suggestions please.

Thank you.

Windows is a microsoft product and they require a ms account to activate (=confirm that it's a genuine license key).

You can use any e-mail adress to set up an account. W11 will work without activation but with reduced functionality (personalizing) and I suspect non-security updates.

Apple has a similar procedure for its products.

What makes you uncomfortable about registering (activating) your copy of Windows?

• Like 2

My WIndows 11 desktop opens on power on with a four-digit PIN. NO password required. Since the computer is in your house, you could use something easily rememberable like 1-2-3-4.

I also have a password to my Microsoft account. But I don't know what I need for now? If I forget it, Microsoft will set up a new one using my email address to allow me to set up a new one.

• Like 2

These days if you choose to use Linux, you really don't need to know about the OS or command line functionality. On most popular platforms the interface is GUI, like Microsoft and Mac. The principal difference, IMHO, is that some of the applications are different. As a user of both Linux and Microsoft, and a "watcher" of the Mac on my daughter's office, I'd say the Mac has more, and easier, connectivity, but depending on what aps you use, any of the three major platforms should work well. Passwords are a part of life. I keep a reference list for those unexpected moments (mostly for my Iphone).
  • Like 1

Welcome to cloud cuckoo land, where nobody has control of their own data, software or hardware anymore. All sucked up into 'the cloud'.... i.e. some conglomerate's server somewhwere.

Nothing to stop you wiping the drive on a new computer and reverting to Win10. With Classic Shell added of course, so that you can actually access files, programs and settings without going through a stupid search box every time.

Linux? I gave it a try and tried to like it, but it's too geeky. If I wanted to learn obscure text commands, I'd have stuck with CP/M.

• Like 3

I simply stick to one password for everything. I’m not too worried about security, there’s nothing sensitive on any of my computers to steal. I store all photos in three or four places, very few on a computer and no information at all dealing with account numbers and other private information.

Rick H.

For passwords, LastPass is free and encrypted. You can store all passwords and other sensitive info (credit card numbers, bank accounts, etc.) under one master password. You can also print the stored passwords and info if you want. There's a paid version, as well. I've used the free one for years. When I buy new software or sign up for an annual account, I add it to LastPass so I can check it whenever necessary.

Good luck, I bought a new computer last January after having used my old one for 11 years. Like yours, it was becoming unreliable.

• Like 1

Strong passwords are difficult to type, much less memorize. I use "DataVault" to store login data, passwords, and to generate passwords as needed. It is both local and cloud based, so data can be shared between computers and devices.

The big difference between Windows and Mac is that Apple curates hardware and software carefully, so you seldom incur conflicts. You have more flexibility with Windows, but at the expense of frequent conflicts, and poorly defined hardware requirements.

I have trouble navigating PC systems, now that I've been a Mac user for nearly 10 years. I just built a new Mac Studio system with a 27" Studio Display, to replace a failed iMac. There's no going back now.

• Like 1

Windows and MAC are really different and will require relearning some stuff. You'll have to learn MAC after working with Windows all these years. Since both require passwords, I don't see what choices you have.

Why hasn't someone come out with a Windows replacement? Windows 10 was bad enough with their forced updates.

I need a new computer too. I've been been trying to get a custom built. Very hard getting a reasonable cudtom for work. I've been trying for months. So many flakey companies.

• Like 1

Why does the old tag

"resistance is futile" come to mind?

I have always had my doubts as to the integrity of the Microsoft and Apple operating systems , the Linux Operating system May possibly be different , but who actually knows :).

Who knows what hidden and secret processes are buried in these operating systems.

Call me paranoid if you will , but I do not believe for one moment that mass surveillance has died.

Ok this comment is off-topic for a photographic forum , moderators , delete this if it is not acceptable.

:D:D:D.

• Like 1

I need a new computer too. I've been been trying to get a custom built. Very hard getting a reasonable cudtom for work.

It really isn't that difficult to put a computer together from components. Motherboard, CPU, memory and disk(s) plus box and PSU. The whole lot can be assembled in about 30 minutes. Probably the most difficult bits to source are the screws to hold the MB and HDD in place.

Be prepared to faint at the cost of a powerful CPU these days though. You're probably looking at a minimum spend of £500 / $700 for the parts alone. But then you're getting the performance of a supercomputer from 10 years ago..... crippled by the Bloatware of today unfortunately.

Who knows what hidden and secret processes are buried in these operating systems.

Linux is entirely Open Source. There are no secrets to its working. It's just a bit reliant on silly phrases used in the CLI and necessary for accessing the repository of apps. Once you're back in the GUI, it's pretty straightforward.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 2

Why hasn't someone come out with a Windows replacement? Windows 10 was bad enough with their forced updates.

I need a new computer too. I've been been trying to get a custom built. Very hard getting a reasonable cudtom for work. I've been trying for months. So many flakey companies.

My new Dell desktop computer came with Windows 11. It works great. Fast and no issues. All my programs start up in about two seconds after powering on. Of course, I now have 1TB of SSD so that could be the difference and a faster processor.

Updates happen in the background. They include security changes that protect your computer. Why wouldn't you want updates?

It really isn't that difficult to put a computer together from components. Motherboard, CPU, memory and disk(s) plus box and PSU. The whole lot can be assembled in about 30 minutes. Probably the most difficult bits to source are the screws to hold the MB and HDD in place.

Be prepared to faint at the cost of a powerful CPU these days though. You're probably looking at a minimum spend of £500 / $700 for the parts alone. But then you're getting the performance of a supercomputer from 10 years ago..... crippled by the Bloatware of today unfortunately.

Linux is entirely Open Source. There are no secrets to its working. It's just a bit reliant on silly phrases used in the CLI and necessary for accessing the repository of apps. Once you're back in the GUI, it's pretty straightforward.

Unless you;re an electronic tech, you'll be stuck afterward when you have a problem with no system warranty. I suppose you can use the Geek Squad. Would they warranty a home-built unit?

Unless you;re an electronic tech, you'll be stuck afterward when you have a problem with no system warranty. I suppose you can use the Geek Squad. Would they warranty a home-built unit?

The individual components will be warranted, if something is dead on arrival, it's just a matter of returning it to the supplier, same as anything else. Once up and running, electronic components rarely fail within their normal lifespan.

Can't really comment more, most of my machines over the last 20 years have been built from scrap and I currently use a Raspberry Pi 400 for all my photo work.

OP - if you use Darktable, Rawtherapee or GIMP, give Linux a try, I recommend Ubuntu Studio as it comes with all the photo stuff already installed.

Unless you;re an electronic tech, you'll be stuck afterward when you have a problem with no system warranty.

Apart from a couple of laptops, one of which failed BER out of warranty, I haven't bought a pre-built desktop computer in at least the last 30 years. Having worked through 6 or more self-assembled systems in that time, I've had one - cheap - video card fail after maybe 4 years use. A higher spec. replacement cost £80, with a swap out downtime of around 10 minutes. Get that level of reliability and service from a commercial company!

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

Apart from a couple of laptops, one of which failed BER out of warranty, I haven't bought a pre-built desktop computer in at least the last 30 years. Having worked through 6 or more self-assembled systems in that time, I've had one - cheap - video card fail after maybe 4 years use. A higher spec. replacement cost £80, with a swap out downtime of around 10 minutes. Get that level of reliability and service from a commercial company!

You have good hands-on experience and could deal with most issues. For the average computer user, I think they'd be better off with a factory-built unit with a one-year warranty or extended warranty.

My Dell desktop computer lasted 7 years before failing although it was showing signs about in the 6th year. Do computers that are built yourself have diagnostic programs provided as Dell does to help test the various components and systems?