GPS geotagging for D51000

Ali_334

I've used a geotagging device on a D700 and D800, and it's not difficult. Once the device is attached and locked to satellites, it automatically feeds the camera with positional data. Then you just enable GPS in the camera menu, and away it goes. All without further fuss.

The GPS data will even set the camera time and date for you, with atomic clock precision.

I did that too: use a geotagger with a D800E. It indeed is not difficult at all. Device on the strap (did not want it in the hot-shoe) connected through the multi-pin connector.

However, if the device (i used a Solmeta tagger then) needs some time to get a fix, it does not help that it turns itself off, to save on batteries, whenever you turn the camera off. I tried to use it, and quickly stopped trying, when i was having the camera in hand for most of the day and night, switching it on and off again often multiple times per minute. I never keep the camera on. It starts quick enough, so no need to waste battery power. The battery-power-saving function of the tagger made saving battery power a nuisance. I had to keep the camera on or else i would not get a GPS-tag recorded most of the time.

But that was a long time ago. Maybe they are much improved now.

Device on the strap (did not want it in the hot-shoe) connected through the multi-pin connector.

However, if the device (i used a Solmeta tagger then) needs some time to get a fix,

Not having the device in the camera hotshoe and a slow satellite acquisition time are probably related. The GPS antenna is a flat ceramic block that has to be pointed at the sky for best reception. Hanging it vertically will almost certainly reduce the signal strength.

Modern devices are far more sensitive for their size, but still need to be oriented skyward for best reliability.

A tree canopy or other overhanging foliage also greatly attenuates the GPS satellite signals. So not good in a rainforest!

Edited by rodeo_joe|1

There is an iOS app called GPS4Camera, which shows your location , shows a barcode with encoded gps location,

You use this by taking a pic of the Barcode it shows, and then take pics on your current location ( or the other way arround). You can use the barcode later on on your PC or ,ac to add the location to your pic in your image processing software.

Otherwie there are also several GPS modules you can put on top of your camera like Micnova GPS-N Plus Geotag GPS & N1/N3-kabel voor Nikon D3 D3S D3X D4 D750 D700 D300 D2X D2XS D2HS D200 D5000 D5100 D5200 D5300 D3100 D3100 D D310 D313200. D3300 D7100 D7000 D90 D800 D810 DSLR camera's : Amazon.nl: Elektronica